What has been your most favourite racing game?

DaveMcDamage

Anyone remember that Jet-ski racer on the N64, think it was called something waves or something. That was decent and at the time had really good physics and mechanics for its day. Nice break from the norm too.

And whilst the game isn't a racer specific game, I can't deny I had hours of fun and challenges on the GTAV Online game. Some of the tracks created by Rockstar were awesome fun. 

The Crew.

I put more time into that game than probably any other.  It is definitely racing, but the real beauty of that game was exploring the environment and finding all sorts of goodies, things to do, etc. It has easily, the best open map of any driving game. 

But from way back when, Pole Position is what got me hooked on racing games. And I dropped way too many quarters into Hard Drivin’.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Motokompa said:

Played alot of Mario Cart back in the day.

Is that a Mario Kart knock-off? ?

19 minutes ago, Motokompa said:

I really enjoyed Horizon Chase Turbo :)

Any games thats similar?

HR-C.jpg

I never played this, but it's 2,99€ (85% discount) and the metacritic score ain't too bad.

But if you're down to play a fun kart racer with a somewhat challenging platinum try Team Sonic Racing.

i353234.jpeg

I played it through PS Now and really liked it. Fun gameplay, cute tracks and satisfying progression.

• Like 1

PS3- Ridge Racer 7. I have no expectations for a sequel... sadly this series is apparently dead. I'd settle for a 4K remaster on PS4 and 5.

PSP- Ridge Racer 2 (sadly released for Europe and Japan only)

Why didn't I list PSVita Ridge Racer? It's a disappointment, because the base game is pretty low on content and it regresses to 30 FPS.

• Like 2

On 13.1.2022 at 1:17 AM, LastMinuteSavior said:

Is that a Mario Kart knock-off? 1f605.png

HR-C.jpg

I never played this, but it's 2,99€ (85% discount) and the metacritic score ain't too bad.

But if you're down to play a fun kart racer with a somewhat challenging platinum try Team Sonic Racing.

i353234.jpeg

I played it through PS Now and really liked it. Fun gameplay, cute tracks and satisfying progression.

Haha, yeah I meant Kart. Shopping Cart racing ?

Thanks for the tips. I'll check them out :D

• Like 1

There are way too many to chose a single favorite. Blur (PS3) was absolutely amazing and included 4-player splitscreen which is what me and my siblings abused. Dirt 2-4 (PS3-PS4) and Gran Turismo 3-Sport PS2-PS4) have special places in my heart. ATV Offroad Fury 4 (PS2) was also awesome. I also loved Test Drive (PS2). Miss that pong loading screen lol. 

Edit: Almost forgot the Wipeout HD collection and Grid 2! 

Edited by S2001drake
  • Like 1

On 12/24/2021 at 4:49 AM, DaveMcDamage said:

Anyone remember that Jet-ski racer on the N64, think it was called something waves or something. That was decent and at the time had really good physics and mechanics for its day.

Wave Race 64 - I owned a copy; fun and frustrating. Once the harsh weather effects came into play on later courses, I was unable to make progress. ?

• Like 1

Another top racer during the 360/PS3 era was Test Drive. Cracking open world map, great selection of cars... a real boy-racer game. Sequel was a bit shite though.

Though I suppose Forza dominates that race area too now. Shame GT doesn't do something similar. I would love to have it set in Germany and then have the Nurburgring set into it as well as all the country roads and fast motorways. 

Basically any PS2-era arcade racer. Mainly Midnight Club II, Burnout, Flatout, Nascar Thunder/Dirt To Daytona/Heat, Twisted Metal Black (if that counts) and the Need For Speed's from this era hold a special place in my heart. They don't make them like that no more. The PS3 era had some gems as well like Test Drive Unlimited, Motorstorm, Blur and Split/Second but the PS2 was the heyday for arcade racers. The modern ones are terrible besides Wreckfest as the racing genre leans more towards simulation nowadays IMO. 

Edited by mega-tallica
  • Like 1

Burnout Paradise!

I appreciate the dedication of those who or sink hours into sim racing, but nothing compares to hurtling through the baseball stadium, jumping the big surf bridge or hitting a huge jump at the quarry whilst Guns N Roses, Avril Lavigne or Adam and the Ants blare through the radio!

Getting that remastered platinum in rapid time and then the 100% recently whilst I self-isolated was an absolute pleasure :D 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 24.12.2021 at 3:45 PM, OBSTINATIO said:

blur (2010) among the arcade racers and DIRT: Rally 2.0 (2019) among games leaning towards simulation. 

I have to add Gran Turismo 7 to this list! I had such a great time with this game... the presentation, the gameplay and the overall gameplay depth is simply perfect. I honestly liked it a lot better than any other GT Game ever. 

Have played alot of racing games, . If I gonna pick just six out of at least hundreds of racing games ive played in my life its gonna be:

Gran Turismo 4 (PS2)

Mario Kart Double Dash (GameCube)

Forza Motorsport 4 (X360)

Need For Speed Underground (PS2)

Dirt 2 (PC)

Rallisport Challenge 2 (Xbox)

• Like 2

I'm also gonna pick 6 of my favourites, because I've played so much.

Motorstorm Apocalypse (PS3)

Burnout Revenge (Xbox)

Gran Turismo 5 Prologue (PS3)

Gran Turismo 1 (PS1)

Need for speed undeground 2 (Xbox)

Mario Kart Double Dash (GameCube)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Need for speed Carbon was my jam during the PS2 era, that along with Jak X was all I played regarding the racing genre at that time.

However the Motorstorn franchise was where I spent hundred of hours offline and online, I love those games to death and I want to believe we shall see a remaster of some sort, but seems unlikely with the Evolutions Studions being shut down and Sony only betting on Gran Turismo as of late.

• Like 1