Martha Is Dead delayed over censorship on PS

NMErickson

38 minutes ago, maiathewinners said:

The difference the violent moments on TLOU2 had an impact on the overall plot. While some of them would cross the line, none of them would go way into graphic detail just for the sake of it, only really graphic moment was Joel and we only got to see it all in order to make Ellie's journey and trauma more real, it had a purpose on the story. Just like all the cult scenes, all of it had a meaning in the game.

In this game, as you can see from the gameplay, it's quite literally "my sister died, I want to cut her face". No meaning behind it, no plot motivation, no gameplay improvement. They just give you the option and you pick it, you do the cut and the characters wakes up. Where's the meaning of this? Why did I cut the face? It's just here for shock value. Some could say it's good horror, it isn't. Shock value and gore isn't horror, is just for shock, a quick "eww, that's gross" and 5 minutes later you already forgot about what you saw.

Am I up for censorship? No way. Does it make sense on a certain standpoint to get this scene removed? Yeah, kinda. Scenes like this, just for shock as I mentioned have no meaning to the game and only serve for unnecessary controversy. Get the scene in, there's controversy, get the scene out, there's still controversy, only on different parties. I'm sure if it had story meaning the scene you stay in, Town of Light is a good example, it also had gruesome scenes but they were all kept in, because they meant something to the game.

I couldn't care less for what happens next, just dropping my 2 cents on this topic. If this affects you in any way possible, then just buy the game on a different platform, or just change platforms all together. Keep playing on a system you don't support the rules of and then complaining because of said rules is like shooting yourself on the foot and then saying it hurts.

For now I will just wait for the eventual thread lock. You all can't have a normal discussion without blaming parties that have nothing to do with what's going on.

Holy shit, I wasted seconds of my life reading 5 paragraphs of utter bullshit. You're basically saying that Sony can arbitrarily decide what is or isn't important or convenient for the game, who are you to say that a certain scene doesn't add anything? so can a third party simply bypass the director's vision and have a stronger say in what is and isn't important and them cut it? jesus, this is the most pathetic argument I've ever seen about censorship.

Edited by kevao97

3 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Reminder that this isn't the first time Sony have censored a horror game and it certainly won't be the last. Both Doki Doki Literature Club and Visage were toned down on PlayStation as well. Presumably the snowflakes over at Sony found the disturbing content in these games too triggering for them, and decided the PlayStation audience weren't mature enough to make their own decisions about whether or not they could handle it. The people who justify the censorship because "it wasn't necessary" or "it went too far" are just sending the message to Sony that they're okay being treated like children. 

Hey Sony, it's okay for you to keep censoring things arbitrarily and deciding for me what's or isn't important or safe in a game. I'm ok with that, it's for my own good and safety. Please Mom Sony, keep going. restricting the artistic freedom of these games, I love being treated like a little baby, after all I am unable to decide what to play or not and I need a third party to do it for me ???

9 minutes ago, DeadmanStrife said:

Didn't they also censor a bare butt in DMC5? Idk I feel like if the game is already rated as mature and also has lots of flags at the beginning to warn of the disturbing content like in DDLC, then what's the big idea? 

I believe they uncensored the thing in DMC5 later, although I think it might've been censored on another platform at one point as well so it's probably a Capcom thing?

35 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Hey Sony, it's okay for you to keep censoring things arbitrarily and deciding for me what's or isn't important or safe in a game. I'm ok with that, it's for my own good and safety. Please Mom Sony, keep going. restricting the artistic freedom of these games, I love being treated like a little baby, after all I am unable to decide what to play or not and I need a third party to do it for me ???

I'm gonna ask - what do you see in that scene? Beyond the violence of course. I really don't see anything beyond "it'll look cool"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

I believe they uncensored the thing in DMC5 later, although I think it might've been censored on another platform at one point as well so it's probably a Capcom thing?

Just looked it up and it was only on PS4, only in the west, and when it was patched out it was patched out for most of the west but apparently Europe didn't get the patch so Im thinking it was a Sony thing but still was more just using that to show the ridiculousness of their censors sometimes. I can go on tv and watch a tv14 show like naked and afraid and see a bare butt for like a prolonged period of time, but a short shot of a butt in an m rated video game is just too much for them lol but a full blown sex scene in tlou2 was perfectly fine

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeadmanStrife said:

Just looked it up and it was only on PS4, only in the west, and when it was patched out it was patched out for most of the west but apparently Europe didn't get the patch so Im thinking it was a Sony thing but still was more just using that to show the ridiculousness of their censors sometimes. I can go on tv and watch a tv14 show like naked and afraid and see a bare butt for like a prolonged period of time, but a short shot of a butt in an m rated video game is just too much for them lol but a full blown sex scene in tlou2 was perfectly fine

Could be, yeah, although it's weird that Europe seemingly didn't get the patch for whatever reason.

It's silly, and I'm glad that they seemed to have changed their minds on it for the most part, but that particular instance wasn't as big of a deal as people made it out to be imo.

Seems strange and hypocritical either way, though, especially when there is only two or three scenes with nudity in the game that last for a few seconds at best.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Varhur said:

I'm gonna ask - what do you see in that scene? Beyond the violence of course. I really don't see anything beyond "it'll look cool"

I literally didn't watch it and I don't know anything about the game, but I understand your question. My answer is that we shouldn't analyze the scene out of context or in a simple demo - in fact, you can't understand the scene within the completeness of the proposal.

And even if it were the case that the scene does not represent anything of extreme importance or essential to the narrative, it does not legitimize the coercive attitude on the part of Sony; people not seeing anything wrong with that kind of action is the most problematic part of it.

I agree with part of the argument made by a user above about clear and pre-established policies about what should or should not be allowed as a work or art on the platform. From an ethical point of view, this is ok and the developer/publisher voluntarily submits to it. But that's not exactly what's happening: what's happening are arbitrary and coercive decisions.

2 minutes ago, Zephrese said:

Could be, yeah, although it's weird that Europe seemingly didn't get the patch for whatever reason.

It's silly, and I'm glad that they seemed to have changed their minds on it for the most part, but that particular instance wasn't as big of a deal as people made it out to be imo.

Seems strange and hypocritical either way, though, especially when there is only two or three scenes with nudity in the game that last for a few seconds at best.

Yeah like, don't get me wrong, it's not a big deal, at least not as big as having to alter portions of a game due to censorship, it was just silly and strange

• Like 1

Just now, Varhur said:

Also, I find it really funny how you took a message that said "I don't like censorship, but I can see why it happened here" did a little bit of mental gymnastics and the result was "HOLY FUCKING SHIT I FUCKING LOVE CENSORSHIP, PLEASE CENSOR EVERYTHING FOR ME, CLEANSE MY EYES OF THE IMPURITY".

Bro.

Calm down. You're pulling a strawman argument and arguing against a person who isn't there.

It's just sarcasm, and I'm calm, don't take it as offensive. the offense is never in the sender, people read things and are offended because they wanted to

7 minutes ago, Varhur said:

So you write an angry rant about how they promote censorship and call the argument "pathetic" even when it's not an argument and then you pull the "bro, it's sarcasm, don't get offended :D".

You're backpedaling and it's kinda obvious, lol

are you telling me that 5 paragraphs of writing doesn't represent an argument? so what exactly? and, the sarcasm part is what you quoted, the rest is not. And I'm "backpedaling" at what? if you can point out a contradiction in my speech that would be great, or even what your goal is...

Edit: now i saw your edit clearly insulting me. well you're just being dishonest, but it happens a lot, thats fine.

Edited by kevao97

Just now, kevao97 said:

are you telling me that 5 paragraphs of writing doesn't represent an argument? so what exactly? and, the sarcasm part is what you quoted, the rest is not. And I'm "backpedaling" at what? if you can point out a contradiction in my speech that would be great, or even what your goal is...

You completely went around that first post (funny how you ignored the "I don't like censorship" part and went ahead and made assumptions on your own). You two are talking about two completely different things, you say why censorship is bad and he said why it was censored (because scene itself is contextualized at all, just "go ahead, peel her face off").

And uh... Sarcasm is what I quoted and I didn't even quoted anyone, just portrayed your hyperboles, are you getting confused at something?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Varhur said:

You completely went around that first post (funny how you ignored the "I don't like censorship" part and went ahead and made assumptions on your own). You two are talking about two completely different things, you say why censorship is bad and he said why it was censored (because scene itself is contextualized at all, just "go ahead, peel her face off").

And uh... Sarcasm is what I quoted and I didn't even quoted anyone, just portrayed your hyperboles, are you getting confused at something?

I "went around" because the "I don't like censorship" part is absolutely irrelevant to the other paragraphs of terrible, fallacious argument, which mistakenly tries to normalize a censorship for arbitrary reasons. the background of "uh i don't like censorship" is simply not important to the huge shit then the speech is skewed to defend the indefensible.

I'm talking "quote" in the sense of using the forum function. you "quoted" my specific line where I make a satirical rant about people liking censorship.

maybe you are the one who is confused.