Do you report people who send "hate messages" in online games?

4 hours ago, Z1MZUM said:

Nowadays if I have time and actually get really pissed off I'll return the favour after getting their IP address if you know what I mean.

Otherwise just laugh and block.

Do you doxx the person's loc on a dark web forum, associating their image with lies and atrocities, exposing personal data, job, family etc to cause real and immediate life risk?

18 hours ago, kevao97 said:

Do you doxx the person's loc on a dark web forum, associating their image with lies and atrocities, exposing personal data, job, family etc to cause real and immediate life risk?

That's some funny stuff right there but I'm no psycho. 

Usually just get some real names or a satellite image of the address, pretty innocent stuff really. I do this stuff because I'm bored ok? There needs to be a combination of cheating and being offensive. I play COD, it is toxic, getting an IP address is not difficult Nord VPN won't protect you.

I would if I ever got any of them. I'm not really noticable enough on games to get negative reactions as a result of my good or bad performances. For awhile there I also literally just didn't get any messages at all cuz I closed myself out of getting dm's on psn due to some bad friend experiences lol. But I dunno, I feel like if you're being a tool and sending hate mail you deserve the consequences for it. I wouldn't even say "don't get mad at games" but it's way more productive to just keep it to yourself.

No because I never have the chance. 

If someone insults me for no reason whatsoever, then I give it right back. Then it's usually me who gets reported and banned. 

Never been banned on Playstation as I don't really message on it. But currently on a 29 day ban on Facebook and 7 day ban on Reddit. Not bothered about Facebook but I do enjoy Reddit. 

9 minutes ago, DanteIshimura said:

No because I never have the chance. 

If someone insults me for no reason whatsoever, then I give it right back. Then it's usually me who gets reported and banned. 

Never been banned on Playstation as I don't really message on it. But currently on a 29 day ban on Facebook and 7 day ban on Reddit. Not bothered about Facebook but I do enjoy Reddit. 

Facebook is garbage. You are banned for anything. Instagram too.

I've had two accounts permanently banned on Reddit, both with over 200k karma lol.

13 minutes ago, kevao97 said:

Facebook is garbage. You are banned for anything. Instagram too.

I've had two accounts permanently banned on Reddit, both with over 200k karma lol.

Karma I just don't get. I get the up and down arrow if someone agrees/disagrees with a comment you made, but the Karma thing seems overly pretentious for a social media site. But at least its not hammered with sketchy adverts. I keep Facebook mostly because of people I can stay in contact with or getting in touch with companies etc. It's really good for that. But I enjoy Reddit far more as due to the dedicated groups etc and you can get a much better response from people. 

• 1 month later...

Never received any kind of hate or toxic message, but I don’t really play any of the popular online multiplayer games so that pretty much explains why.

Would I report if I did? Probably only if it was extremely easy to do so, like one click button prompt from the message screen itself or something. If I had to go to any actual effort then no, probably not.

It was in my Xbox360/Xbox One times when many men and women insulted me, but mostly the men. Like in games, but also just in party chats, because the gentlemen mostly took me for a small child because of my voice. Or also because they mostly made very dirty hints or jokes that distracted me while playing. I reported and blocked most of them, because you really don't need that. Especially when you get ******** messages written as private messages. And I don't like people like that. Because you buy a video game console in the first place, with which you can play online whether with or against others, because of the fun and nothing else. Because of that and because of the Japanese games, I bought a Playstation 4 in 2016. Mainly because of Gravity Rush Remastered. I gave away the Xbox 360/Xbox One when we moved last year. And since I no longer play online/in strangers' parties, I don't have these problems anymore. Just play and try chasing trophies. I just think it's a shame that many don't see the value of playing and having fun anymore. But you can report and block them. Very easily.

Not that I recall but I don't really play Multiplayer games all that much anymore. I can't even remember the last time I got any hate messages on PSN actually. 

I used to get them in Call of Duty when I was heavily in to it, although I always took those as compliments if they accused me of cheating if they lost, haha.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2023 at 10:48 PM, MidnightDragon said:

I blocked all non-friends from contacting me, so not really an issue.

This is the way. So many issues with console gaming is solved this way. It's sad, but you do what you have to.

51 minutes ago, Jelly Soup said:

This is the way. So many issues with console gaming is solved this way. It's sad, but you do what you have to.

i only blocked the friend requests because of assholes adding and then deleting a few days later. messages, many people try to get in touch regarding boosts, such as adding to ps app groups or just asking me something. blocking the messages would be isolating me from the whole world, and perhaps missing out on meeting new worthwhile people.

I've reported 2 on PSN and in both cases Sony told me they had dealt with the culprits accordingly. (It's perhaps one of the few pleasant interactions I've had with Sony) 

The dummies made it easy because they were stupid enough to put the insults in messages (things typically always read worse than they sound) and the PS App has a 'report message' feature. Otherwise I just blocked.

Generally speaking, it's why I avoid online games and my messages are now set to friends only unless boosting.

Edited by Vault-TecPhantom

On 8/1/2023 at 8:41 AM, kevao97 said:

i only blocked the friend requests because of assholes adding and then deleting a few days later. messages, many people try to get in touch regarding boosts, such as adding to ps app groups or just asking me something. blocking the messages would be isolating me from the whole world, and perhaps missing out on meeting new worthwhile people.

You're sort of playing with a book of matches either way. I used to keep mine open and just ignore randos, but when people started messaging strings that would screw with you console I had to block everything. More often than not, friend/message requests come from new accounts with no activity for nefarious intent.

I don't think I've ever received a truly hateful message; at best, I get salty losers and sore winners, and I ignore those.

If I ever got sent a message with actual hate speech or threats, I'd report it instantly. Not because I'm offended or threatened, but because I think it's funny to make toxic people finally suffer consequences from it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jelly Soup said:

You're sort of playing with a book of matches either way. I used to keep mine open and just ignore randos, but when people started messaging strings that would screw with you console I had to block everything. More often than not, friend/message requests come from new accounts with no activity for nefarious intent.

@Jelly Soup What kind of malicious messages are you aware of? I recall a boot loop issue back in 2018, but is there anything else you've seen? 

58 minutes ago, Sukwendo said:

@Jelly Soup What kind of malicious messages are you aware of? I recall a boot loop issue back in 2018, but is there anything else you've seen? 

The boot loop was the main one I was talking about, that's the one that really made me rethink my account settings. Way back in the early days of the PSN there were lots of postings about users getting temp bans for having "certain words" in their private messages. The detection tools of the time didn't parse sources, for whatever reason, so if someone messaged you the n-word six times and you opened the message, the auto-mod was go "this guys been saying this, look it's on  his system". I'm actually having trouble fishing up a thread about this one, but other people in discord as saying they remember it taking place. It was a short window, though. Another one I recall was accounts spamming you with max character messages, something about having a lot of those would slow the crap out of your console. I never looked into it, I assumed it was a system memory thing.

If people can find a way to screw with something, they'll do it. I'd rather err on the side of caution.

• Like 1

@Jelly Soup Thanks for the insight. I hadn't heard anything about the automated message banning. It's rare I play online, but all the same, you've convinced me to restrict the setting.

It is a little disappointing to do so, though. In the last six months, I've had two people reach out to me about specific games when they saw my name on the leaders. One was a request to unlock trophies over SharePlay, but the other we had a real conversation about the game. Which was actually nice. 

11 minutes ago, Sukwendo said:

@Jelly Soup Thanks for the insight. I hadn't heard anything about the automated message banning. It's rare I play online, but all the same, you've convinced me to restrict the setting.

It is a little disappointing to do so, though. In the last six months, I've had two people reach out to me about specific games when they saw my name on the leaders. One was a request to unlock trophies over SharePlay, but the other we had a real conversation about the game. Which was actually nice. 

That kind of thing doesn't happen anymore. you don't have to worry about being banned by bots. just don't say anything suspicious, you can't get banned because of a third party message.

• 6 months later...