Gaming Addict?

Kuzagi_PT

I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it, it is one of the most fun things to do though and sometimes when I find a really good game and immerse myself into the story I can play it for a while. If I had to stop gaming for some reason I would probably be sad for a little while but would find something else to do with my time. I play about 3-5 hours a day depending on what games I'm playing and if I have other things to do during that day.

• Like 1

An addict would be someone who puts something over say work or school.

If you maintain a regular life, IE go to work, take care of things that need to be taken care of and socialize then you don't really have a problem. You may play it a lot, but if you take care of stuff and be a proper human being then I don't see it as a problem.

Granted I still need to get certain things done myself. So maybe I do have a slight problem. :how2shotweb:

Wise post.

Thank you for your answer. About your last sentence i agree , can be just as destructive ( depends of the situation and the person) but... I believe that people say that because alcohol and drugs can reach a worse situation , while games can change you mentaly , the alcohol and drugs leave you mentaly and physically devastaded. In that i agree with them.

True but gaming addiction isn't just limited to that. People have done stuff like starve themselves and their kids, deprived themselves of sleep, and even died while gaming because of their addiction. Those are physical consequences that are also displayed in drug and alcohol abuse. Addiction to anything can be potentially detrimental to your physical health and one form shouldn't be taken any lighter than the other. The term in itself implies something done in an excessive and unhealthy amount and requires professional treatment.

Edited by merciful84

Not an addict. I just play a LOT when there is nothing else I'd like to do. Which is most of the time.

From time to time tho I take a pause from gaming and spend my time reading books or manga/comics. Or maybe watch movies when my blu-ray backlog gets big enough. Or maybe I'll watch 1-2 TV shows when the season has ended.

• Like 1

Yes, I just can't get rid of it, I try and do other things but I always play eventually. Sometimes I think about how great life would be if I never played games at all but then I think 'Pffftttttt real life doesn't let kill dragons, ride around in spaceships and derping around'

Edited by Xtremeretrogamer
  • Like 1

An addict would dbe someone who puts something over say work or school.

If you maintain a regular life, IE go to work, take care of things that need to be taken care of and socialize then you don't really have a problem. You may play it a lot, but if you take care of stuff and be a proper human being then I don't see it as a problem.

:

As an alcoholic who has been sober for 5 years now I can confirm that your definition is horse-shit. There are literally millions of functioning addicts who maintain careers/ social lives etc in spite of thier addiction.

Im sure you didn't mean anything by it, but any addict in recovery would disagree strongly with the rather dangerous idea that you have to be a miserable failure at all other aspects of life just to qualify as having a problem...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm I either 1)Spend too much time playing video games when on holidays or 2)Spend too much time away from playing video games because of life commitments lol, so I guess

No - Justify. How many hours do you play per week? Were u addict before?

If the games I'm playing are engaging enough, I'd spend hours playing them in one sitting. Gaming used to be my only source of entertainment back when I was younger but now I have the internet so...

I play a lot but definitely not consider myself as an addict.

I only have As and Bs in college. I go out partying at least once a week (sometimes up to 3 times a week) or just hang out at some buddy´s place to drink beer and smoke shisha and just talk for hours. I go running every single day. So everything is more important than gaming. I also have a job besides studying (about 10 hrs a week). 

As I have no hobbies except gaming, listening to music and watching TV shows I got plenty of time to play games. 

Edited by StyX_AuT
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Having seen what addiction to a game looks like in me, FFXI, back in my teens I would say now I am not an addict.

However, I definitely am healthily obsessed with gaming.  Part of growing up, I learnt moderation and exploring other interests also (focus on one thing makes for a very one dimensional character) and appreciate the time I have a lot more.  I've had a week off between resigning from my old position and starting a new one next week, and I've basically done nothing bar go to the gym, maintain the cleanliness of the house and play games.

I won't have this opportunity again, if ever, and I've loved it all the more for it.

Edited by LastPisTolman
  • Like 1

Yes I probably am a gaming addict. I'd rather be addicted to gaming than to drugs and alcohol. :)

Basically this. I also tend to game a lot during my free time when I'm off work/school. I'm also an owner of 6 consoles as well (PS2, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, PSP, PS Vita) and I do not regret and even a bit proud of myself that after much patience, hard work and TLC I managed to accomplish in buying all consoles myself and my oldest consoles still working perfectly up to this day. :)

• Like 1

I would say im probably addicted, I play all day on weekends and 6 hours Monday to Friday, I really enjoy it though in fact gaming is the only things im remotely interested in. Im 19 and despite having a full time job I still have a lot of free time. iv been gaming since I was very young I got a PS1 for my 5th birthday and had a gameboy colour/advance before then. The last time i went a day without gaming way probably when i went on holiday for 2 weeks, which was 2012 haha. However when i had exams this time last year i could easily limit mysself to a few hours a day just for breaks between revising although that was only for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm pretty addicted to playing video-games up to the point where my eyes become bloodshot. I don't play sports, don't go outside, don't have any friends out here in Texas, even though I've been living here for almost 4 years now. So I'm either listening to music all-day-all-night or am playing video-games nonstop, and I play games more. So yeah, you could say playing video-games is a drug that I'm addicted to.

• Like 2

As a kid, I used to escape my family on holidays to find arcade games or pinball machines, I love pinball as much as video games, I also used to play competition snooker and sometimes pool. I used to go into seedy arcades as a young kid just to play whatever was new ;) I lived in the city of Sydney Australia so everything was walking distance. I buy new or used games every Sunday unless I'm in a country with no games like png. I still don't know if i'm an addict, I get buy without playing anything, I just need to keep my mind active.

• Like 1