Important NPCs?

xIRockyRock

This is my first souls game and I am pretty much enjoying it. Atm I am messing just around and having fun, but there are some missable trophies and I don’t want to spoil the whole game. My main question is:

There are many NPCs in this game and I killed Yuri at the beginning for his Katana, Sellen on accident and Bernahl for his legandary weapon. I read you can revive some NPCs but others you can’t.

Which NPCs are absolutely crucial NOT to kill because you either can’t revive them or miss out on something else?

Depends on which endings you are going for.

Don't kill Hyetta if you want the ending she leads to.

Don't kill Rya or you'll miss out on a whole quest line in Volcano Manor.

Don't kill Goldmask or Brother Corhyn so you can get the items at the end of their quest line...

Don't kill anyone on Ranni's team

Don't kill Patches

OK I could probably list tons of NPCs. I am on the opposite end of the spectrum I'm nice to all the NPCs so maybe someone else has a better answer. I see very little benefit to killing any of them until the end of the game.

when you go to the northern most part of mountaintops of the giants (secret medallion required) if you double back to southwest liurnia. to Lakeside Crystal Cave, when you get to the end there's a woman sat down next to a wolf. Speak to her and she starts a quest  you then have to go back to mountaintops, and head to the very northern most point, where a giant rock bellend monster thing fires blue shit at you, behind that rock thing is a church with a giant woman inside, use the summon sign on the floor and you get a somber ancient smithing stone. 

it's a finnicky quest though u stop to piss in the snow for too long or at any point kill a boss the summon sign never appears and the woman in the cave kills herself.

Edited by MatThaRiPP3R84

Millicent.... Because grand master bae. ?

Honestly, just follow the 12-15 points on powerpyx guide.  For the most part he is just telling you where to go next and what to watch out for (item and dialog).  I did this + save summing and got the platinum on 65 hours relatively pain and stress free.  As for builds, I'm using the frost knight from fextralife. 

• Like 1

I wouldn't kill any to be honest, other than Bernahl perhaps. But for platinum trophy I think that only Ranni, her crew (Iji, Blaidd, Seluvis) and Fia are no-go. Sellen was part of Ranni's questline but I'm not sure if it was mandatory part and you can revive her.
In either case lots of NPC are part of a questlines that can be interesting and rewarding and some of them you can summon as extra help with bosses.
P.S. it is kinda obvious, but don't give Seluvius' *item* to Ranni either if you'll do his questline

• Like 2

4 hours ago, czDante92 said:

I wouldn't kill any to be honest, other than Bernahl perhaps. But for platinum trophy I think that only Ranni, her crew (Iji, Blaidd, Seluvis) and Fia are no-go. Sellen was part of Ranni's questline but I'm not sure if it was mandatory part and you can revive her.
In either case lots of NPC are part of a questlines that can be interesting and rewarding and some of them you can summon as extra help with bosses.
P.S. it is kinda obvious, but don't give Seluvius' *item* to Ranni either if you'll do his questline

Sellen is needed to obtain a legendary spell. So you do need her alive for Platinum.

If you kill Bernahl before he moves to the volcano manor. Your locked out of getting 2 ashes of war. And he will invade you at some point anyway. So you get his armor and weapon

So far the only NPC i’m certain you can kill right away is Shabribri. Some are usefull to kill after you have completed there quest. Like Tanith will give you an incantation if you kill her after defeating Rykard.

Edited by Bart_Bacardi
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, xIRockyRock said:

There are many NPCs in this game and I killed Yuri at the beginning for his Katana, Sellen on accident and Bernahl for his legandary weapon. I read you can revive some NPCs but others you can’t.

Well, uh you might of not wanted to kill Bernhal just yet, he is a very useful summon for the godskin duo fight and he has an assasnation contract in the volcano manor. 

As for other NPCs, 
Roderika im pretty sure is the only vendor that you can upgrade spirit ashes at
Cohryn and sunmask have an ending tied to their questline
Alexander can be summoned for a few bosses
Ranni and Fia both have an ending tied to their questline
I know many people will kill patches but i would hold off, he is a merchant and his volcano manor assassination contract gives you access to some good ass armor
Nepheli can be summoned for a few bosses
Tanith has several volcano manor contracts, but I would advise against attacking her at any point, she has a cruicble knight bodyguard you dont want to deal with, unless you want his shit
Rya gives you easy access to the volcano manor
Millicant is very important, at the end of her questline, side with her, because the item you get is useful in case you mess up an ending.
As for the loathsome dung easter, he does have an ending and you might need to keep boggart alive as well for this

11 hours ago, tranquility101 said:

Don't kill anyone on Ranni's team

Oh ya Blaidd will kick the shit out of you

Edited by wackt1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhisperingDusk said:

I accidentally killed Patches with basically one or two beams of the Sword of Night and Fire 1f62c.png He could hardly beg for mercy.

What did I miss out on? I got his bell and nice gear set though.

You miss his Volcano Manor assassination contract which if completed, grants you the Bull goat armor set and a magma whip candle stick. He also becomes a vendor 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, wackt1 said:

You miss his Volcano Manor assassination contract which if completed, grants you the Bull goat armor set and a magma whip candle stick. He also becomes a vendor 

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll see the questline in new game then. Maybe look up a bunch of npcs. 

8 hours ago, WhisperingDusk said:

Thanks for the info. I guess I’ll see the questline in new game then. Maybe look up a bunch of npcs. 

On my first run I accidentally finished Volcano Manor before finishing all the quests from the NPCs there, so I missed out on the Magma Whip and the Bull Goat Armor and some Rya dialogue. Taking down the boss of VM cancels any remaining "red dot invasion" quests. Luckily still got the Bernahl invasion in Crumbling FA (and his legendary weapon). But yeah, you'll need NG+ to pick that stuff up.