Rumor: Overwatch 1 will be merged with Overwatch 2 in October, potential issues

Stinkyremy

18 hours ago, Sydoki said:

There's a new article dropped on the Battlenet regarding the account merger...but sadly nothing specific about PSN trophies
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824001/

The only mention of trophies/achievements is this:

Not sure if "console-specific achievements" are considered platform achievements or if it's something about limited-time achievements that are only present on the PC version. Really wish Blizzard would just give a proper, detailed answer already...

Xbox also had to do the limited time achievements, not limited to PC...

game was harder to complete on xbox

• Like 2

On 2022-08-16 at 10:04 PM, Sydoki said:

There's a new article dropped on the Battlenet regarding the account merger...but sadly nothing specific about PSN trophies
https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/news/23824001/

The only mention of trophies/achievements is this:

Not sure if "console-specific achievements" are considered platform achievements or if it's something about limited-time achievements that are only present on the PC version. Really wish Blizzard would just give a proper, detailed answer already...

Then I hope that means, when OW2 is out, that I can play on PC, earn the new achievements, then trophies would autopop! :awesome: 

• 5 weeks later...

After reading the news, I was kind of tempted to go back to Overwatch and try to mop up the remaining trophies...then I looked at the list on remembered that I'm terrible at playing Zenyatta. Might just go back for fun now.

I'd hazard a guess and say that trophy situation is going to be handled like Fall Guys was. Old list becomes inaccessible. Given that a lot of the OW trophies relied on the 6 vs 6 dynamic (or were certainly easier on), I don't think that they'll track well in the 5 vs 5 former OW2 has. They could change the criteria as they have done in the past but then everyone who has the platinum would have that trophy updated to say "Overwatch 2" presumably. Some people might get pissed off over that.

Easiest way for them is a whole new list. Not the most ideal way for completionists here though.

• Like 2

On 17/09/2022 at 11:47 AM, AgentSmiz said:

After reading the news, I was kind of tempted to go back to Overwatch and try to mop up the remaining trophies...then I looked at the list on remembered that I'm terrible at playing Zenyatta. Might just go back for fun now.

I'd hazard a guess and say that trophy situation is going to be handled like Fall Guys was. Old list becomes inaccessible. Given that a lot of the OW trophies relied on the 6 vs 6 dynamic (or were certainly easier on), I don't think that they'll track well in the 5 vs 5 former OW2 has. They could change the criteria as they have done in the past but then everyone who has the platinum would have that trophy updated to say "Overwatch 2" presumably. Some people might get pissed off over that.

Easiest way for them is a whole new list. Not the most ideal way for completionists here though.

I don't think people being pissed off has ever really been a concern for Blizzard. Would be awfully nice if they'd just tell us what's going on

Edited by Musashi1596
  • Like 2

54 minutes ago, PortaLuna said:

I'm surprised we're down to the final two weeks or so and this information still isn't known. Unbelievable! It seems likely there will be a new trophy list and the current one will retire just like someone pointed out about Fall Guys.

Well Ps5 lists are always separate. They don't share with Ps4, so there's 100% going to be a new list. The debate is whether the old list follows suit, gets a large update and essentially becomes 'overwatch 2 ps4'. 

Large updates have happened before, take R6 Siege for example. The entire list was changed (trophy name, description and image) and Overwatch has always been an evolving MP game. It was never going to stay the same and it's proven in the past to update trophies to fit the current state of the game. 

Again, whether they move on from the original list and retire it or update it is up for debate. I'm leaning towards a large update, but always safer to get the list done before the new release. 

But yes, 2 week away and still don't know what is exactly happening with Overwatch 1. Saying the two games will merge isn't enough information. 

Edited by Riiszk

13 hours ago, Musashi1596 said:

I don't think people being pissed off has ever really been a concern for Blizzard. Would be awfully nice if they'd just tell us what's going on

That's a very good point. That they're putting new heroes as Battle Pass rewards kind of backs this up. Granted, they're on the free track and, once the season is over, everyone gets them (or so I've heard) but still.

A game about team composition and counter picks shouldn't be limiting heroes to people who've grinded a BP.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it’s pretty much confirmed that there’s going to be a new trophy list seeing as there’s a PS5 version of the game and they want both lists to be the same. I would love to be proven wrong but I don’t think I will be. It’s a shame they don’t care at all about trophy hunters but then again, what developer does?

Can’t wait to have another unobtainable trophy list on my account! /s

40 minutes ago, PortaLuna said:

I hope the list is retired, there is more reason for this list to retire than Fall Guys. It's remarkable that the trophy information is still unknown and the game is days away. 

Not surprising considering what an absolute shit show Blizzard has been these past few years. This is just throwing another turd on the dung heap lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MonaSaxPayne said:

https://gamerant.com/overwatch-2-achievements-trophies-carry-over-prestige-challenges-unlocks/

seems like the old list will just merge with the new one

I assume the list will auto pop as well

The author doesn't know for sure and just says it hasn't been confirmed yet if that will actually happen.

This should satisfy some fans who enjoy guided challenges to complete in multiplayer-centric games like Overwatch, but others may have been hoping for the sequel to get a completely brand-new list of achievements and trophies. That doesn't seem like it will be the case, but it's likely that the sequel will carry on as the original game did, adding new achievements and trophies to coincide with the introduction of new heroes. However, that has yet to be confirmed.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, HuntingFever said:

The author doesn't know for sure and just says it hasn't been confirmed yet if that will actually happen.

Blizzard's Jon Spector offered Game Rant some clarification on the matter, explaining that Overwatch 1 achievements/trophies are "generally being carried forward."

:hmm:

Just now, MonaSaxPayne said:

:hmm:

No, that's still not clear, sometimes. Even the developers are confused by what that means. Look at games like control and cyberpunk, they both promised that the trophies would carry over to the PS5 version and that wasn't the case. It's weird but sometimes devs don't even understand how trophies work. They get confused and sometimes they think carry over simply means that you won't lose them. So yeah, technically you're OverWatch 1 trophies that you earned on PS4 will carry over because you're not going to lose them. Hard to say exactly what that means since a lot of times the devs don't even know what that means. We probably won't know until the OW2 trophy list starts populating on the different websites, and if we don't see a new PS4 list then we'll have to assume on Tuesday it'll just be updated and converted.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PortaLuna said:

No, that's still not clear, sometimes. Even the developers are confused by what that means. Look at games like control and cyberpunk, they both promised that the trophies would carry over to the PS5 version and that wasn't the case. It's weird but sometimes devs don't even understand how trophies work. They get confused and sometimes they think carry over simply means that you won't lose them. So yeah, technically you're OverWatch 1 trophies that you earned on PS4 will carry over because you're not going to lose them. Hard to say exactly what that means since a lot of times the devs don't even know what that means. We probably won't know until the OW2 trophy list starts populating on the different websites, and if we don't see a new PS4 list then we'll have to assume on Tuesday it'll just be updated and converted.

This^

Blizzards statements on this matter are clear as mud, which means we will have to wait until OW2 is actually out, before we find out what's going to happen to OW1.

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.
  • Like 1

Just now, HuntingFever said:

This^

Blizzards statements on this matter are clear as mud, which means we will have to wait until OW2 is actually out, before we find out what's going to happen to OW1.

I hope they don't update the OW1 list into OW2. The trophy thing has been settled for weeks or months, not sure why this is still unknown three days before launch! 

- Overwatch on the PS App shows the OW2 banner already (Showing Sojourn and the new graphics) instead of the old one.

- Blizzard confirmed that on consoles OW2 will be just an update (30 GB) and not a new launcher like Fall Guys. (No new launcher = no new trophy list)

- On PC the in-game achievements of OW2 are literally the same as OW (with new ones for the new heroes and changes for the reworked heroes obviously)

- The game will have full cross-progression which should mean autopop for the PS5 trophy list, if the PS5 gets a native version.

Just like eFootball 2022, eFootball 2023 was an update and Konami just changed the name of the trophy list to eFootball 2023.

Basically if you have the OW Platinum, congrats! you have the OW2 Plat already. ?

2 minutes ago, Vauxhart said:

- Overwatch on the PS App shows the OW2 banner already (Showing Sojourn and the new graphics) instead of the old one.

- Blizzard confirmed that on consoles OW2 will be just an update (30 GB) and not a new launcher like Fall Guys. (No new launcher = no new trophy list)

- On PC the in-game achievements of OW2 are literally the same as OW (with new ones for the new heroes and changes for the reworked heroes obviously)

- The game will have full cross-progression which should mean autopop for the PS5 trophy list, if the PS5 gets a native version.

Just like eFootball 2022, eFootball 2023 was an update and Konami just changed the name of the trophy list to eFootball 2023.

Basically if you have the OW Platinum, congrats! you have the OW2 Plat already. 1f642.png

I noticed that as well. Your points are well reasoned but I hope you're wrong ;)

I didn't see the post about it being an update, the recent preload OW2 email sent isn't really clear. And then another section mentions clicking the three dots and select version to initiate the download on 10/4. I played OW2 Beta on both consoles so my list has OW1 which has the OW2 game tile, and then OW2 PS4 and OW2 PS5. All three have different playtime. Still hoping for a new list!

I really hope it has a new list. I hate Overwatch 2, having to actually pay money or grind the hell out of it before I can get any new trophies just sounds awful. It's looking likely that it uses the same launcher and therefore list though, since existing and new console players are given two different times for when they can start downloading it. 

Never played OW, but everything I've heard about OW2 has made it seem like such an unnecessary sequel. 

Why didn't Blizzard just stick with updating OW1? Seems development for the sequel has been nothing short of messy. 

I don't know, this whole thing just seems so much more complicated then it ever needed to be. R6S was released in 2015/16 and has managed to improve upon the initial release, why can't OW?