The 'No Point in Dying' Experience Thread

amebapiko

A place to share anything about your experience when trying for this trophy!

I only started going for it last night, I completed my second full play-through, first one with the trophy in mind. I used to familiarise myself with the obstacles that were giving me trouble. It was over quite quickly and I was happy about that!

This morning I started my first real attempt, I honestly didn't feel like it come this run, my first death was a silly one - the wood fell on top of me at the tree stumps. Later my second death came upon me, a silly one also, when the water is rising and you have to stand on the 2nd crate that's filled with something, I drowned. It became quite smooth at this point, until, an area where the worm controls you, you had to climb a cog and I got crushed. Continuing onwards, my death count was at 3 and I was over halfway! Sadly my 4th death happened when climbing up 2 cogs, it was a very mindless mistake. So the odds were against me at this point. Probably 10 minutes of game-play to go until the end... In the final area with the guns I got shot making my last possible death, it was a sad moment as this was easier than the platforming I just got through right before. I managed to pull through the next bits unscathed and the final jump was there. I was ready for it, I practised it about 15 times. I jumped. I went passed the gravity changer but by too little, I pressed the circle button and just flew straight into the spikes. I finished with 6 deaths. :( until next time... Probably tonight, since I had many silly deaths.

Edited by KillCount2121
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Congrats mate! I'm going to go for it today; any other tips you can give?

It's all about feeling confident with the tricky areas, once you've played through it you should be familiar with them, you can smooth sections out with chapter select. Example being the last few chapters, other than that it's just a matter of playing it through noting down where you died, so you can learn from your mistakes. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I failed last night and I was pretty close. Later I found myself in a similar situation this morning but I actually got the trophy. I died a total of four times. I find that this trophy made the experience rewarding as it forces you to learn the game inside and out such as getting the timing right in those tricky puzzles and avoiding death in every way possible. Each run I did made me learn more and more about the game as well new tricks to successfully get past each chapter.

Number one priority is how safely I can complete each puzzle with the lowest chance of death should I mess up. Secondly, only one death is allowed before the first hotel sign. This is so that I have at least four lives left should I mess up. 

Overall experience was heart pounding. Wondering when will I die in every chapter. As I got closer to the end, I could hear my own heartbeat. Hands were getting sweaty and shaking the PS Vita. Couldn't think straight. Then all of that went away like a breath exhaled  as I reached the end and got the trophy. This has marked the end of a long and tough journey but a rewarding one. 

• 3 months later...

Funny, I had this done on the Vita months ago and got the ps3 version recently. My first run was for overall run, a recon. Then, second run was already serious since I remembered everything already. Done it beautifully, got to the very last part (in front of the mirror you need to break to win) with 3 deaths so far. Stared deeply into the glass while gravity reverted back and forth, took a break... Okay, that was it, I just had died 3 times so far and I was 1 jump away from it. Ok, let's do it! Death. WHAT? Ok, doesn't matter. Death. FUCK ME, I CAN'T DIE ANYMORE. Death. FUCK THIS. Death. Arrrrrghhhhhh. Win. 7 Deaths total, 4 on the very last jump.

Tried again right away, couldn't even get past the part where the spider chases you.

Gave it a break. One hour later, tried again, made it with 3 deaths.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've gotten tired of this game.  I get bored with the repetition and die a lot from not paying enough attention.  I have gotten to the end a few times with only a couple of deaths only to die several times at the same spot.  I definitely need a break.  Wasted too much time.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

don't give up mate. I thought the same but just managed it 15 minutes ago - and that was even after I had a disaster at the HOTEL sign and died 3 times in a row.

It's totally possible as long as you have the patience, but also the cool head not to panic if you end up with only a couple of lives left.

Which part do you keep dying on? I have a tip for the final bit which makes it very simple.

Actually, the last rooms are not that bad as long as you know exactly what to do - the buzzsaws are the worst thing in the whole game imo

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

To be honest. This trophy kinda ruined the game for me. Running through Limbo over and over until you remember every single puzzle... Not cool.

I unlocked "No Point In Dying" 10 minutes ago, and at the end, it was worth it. Good luck to you brother!

• 2 years later...
On 5/27/2015 at 11:37 AM, Incognito_D said:

Which part do you keep dying on? I have a tip for the final bit which makes it very simple.

Actually, the last rooms are not that bad as long as you know exactly what to do - the buzzsaws are the worst thing in the whole game imo

The two crates and the buzzsaw section is shit. You have to time those crates just right because if you don't stack them on top of one another, or the saw destroys one of them, you may as well commit suicide.

The HOTEL letter sign is also shit. Not so much the first section but near the end of the game when you have to press up on your control stick to move your character. Then you have to precisely time your jump while holding up, also while pushing the action button for the gravity, and you have to do this while the letter is still lit or you're going to die because you're not going to make it to that safe spot.

• 2 years later...

Finally came back to this game, PS3 version. Only had the 'No Point in Dying' trophy left. Took me only a couple of attempts after getting myself familiar with the game (first trophy 10 years ago!). Ended up with 5 deaths, 3 of which were real stupid. Was at the very last part of the game and was like 'I hope i don't stuff this up!'.

On a side note, this is a really lovely game. I'm about to start the PS4 version.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On 8/17/2021 at 8:45 AM, fernando-seixas said:

I created a video for the 1st hotel and crate parts.

The final part is also easy when you know where to stand (Resolution is better on youtube website)

Great video! For me I had 5 deaths. 2 boxes and buzzsaw2 where the chicks are above the box. And 2 at the end. For anyone struggling it doesn’t hurt to pause and look up the solutions/ exact positioning. I know I did. Also you really want to avoid silly deaths because you’ll need those for the second hotel and the very end

Edited by BaneRises314
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Finally got this trophy, it was quite a big challenge, hard but not impossible with a lot of practice and patience :)

So I wanna share my experience with this specific trophy because the rest is pretty easy to get. 

To resume how many walkthroughs I did here's :

1. Enjoy the game and solve every level
  2. Play again the game just to remember every level where I struggle the most
  3. Practice every level I noted down from the chapter select. Watch videos and solutions on Youtube to know exactly when and where to jump etc
  4. Play the game trying to avoid too many deaths but finally ended up with like 20 deaths
  5. Practice again
  6. Play the game trying to really be close to just 5 deaths or less but ended up again with like just 8 deaths
  7. Practice again
  8. Play the game and I did some break by pausing. I really progressed bit by bit and I could reach the end of the game with 0 deaths. But the two last obstacles almost got me. Before the last one, you have to jump at the right moment before the gravity made you up to the top and I died 3 times in a row. I almost started panicking but I remembered that I have to count 3 seconds before jumping and I could pass it.
    The last obstacle, I took a long time before attempting it because wanted to make sure that I was rightly positioned and ready to jump after 3 seconds. Finally did it and finished the game with 4 deaths only.

So it took almost 6 hours or even more to be able to beat the game with 5 deaths or less.

Here's the list of the chapters I was struggling and I suggest you practice a lot :

Spoiler

• Chapter 10 (avoid the two traps)
  • Chapter 18 (the water and the box. The last box, I died many times because you must not move because if you do, you can't jump and reach the edge)
  • Chapter 21 (hotel with the lights)
  • Chapter 23 (the saw with one box)
  • Chapter 24 (when you get controlled, you will encounter another saw, it can be tricky)
  • Chapter 25 (the saw with the two boxes)
  • Chapter 31 (the moving stair with the electric floor and then the chariot with the jump over the saw)
  • Chapter 37 (second hotel)
  • Chapter 38 et 39 obviously

The key to getting the trophy is to master each level where you can struggle and then be really patient and don't hesitate to take a break by pausing the game. One more thing, to have your best chances on your side, you must not die before reaching the middle of the game, so chapter 21. Then try to not die more than twice before reaching the last three chapters.

Good luck to the future players who will attempt this trophy :)

Besides this trophy, I really loved playing this game and using my brain to solve each level, it was really enjoyable!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I just completed this last night.  I never did a full second playthrough as practice, what I did was just kept starting from the beginning and trying to go the full way.  I honestly didn't try many times, I have my son through the week so I didn't want to take up too many hours at night trying to work on this trophy.  I tried about 4 or 5 practice runs I would say, and as soon as I got to that 6th death I would quit.

Last night I didn't know what to play so was like, lets just try this, I got to 3 deaths rather quickly and decided to start over.  This time I annoyingly died at the damn "Cocoon Jump" I call it.  Where you are wrapped in the spider web and you have that small jump to get over right down the hill from when you escape the web.  It's so frustrating to me, yet so simple, its the controls when you are in the web that just mess me up.  You can nudge further, yet if you jump its this massive bouncy jump.  So it's hard to pace yourself and not go too far and fall into that hole, or estimate the distance wrong and jump into the hole.

>>> Moving on 1 death

I made it quite far before dying again, I did the 1st Hotel on my first try.  I have that timed perfectly, I don't look for a spot to stand at, I count 4 seconds.  I get there, wait for it to light up, be relatively near the edge so I can do a running jump.  Get ready, it lights up, 1, 2, running(3), jump(4).  You should be jumping on the 4th second and you will make it.

I don't know how these chapters were numbered, it never made sense to me.  Yet I got all the way to the rotation part and I'm doing good there, the 2nd death I had was at the big box with the electrical floor.  I didn't pull back the box and jump up to the chain...I was like...oops I'm dead.  Right after, pull box back, go hit the switch for rotation, go jump on the chain, wait, land on box again, wait for screen to spin some more, jump to other chain, and down.

>>> 2 Deaths

So obviously I'm feeling pretty good.  At this point I finally had to watch a video of people playing it.  It wasn't a "guide" per se' as they were actually playing through it their first time as they were commenting, discussing solutions, and dying like that didn't know what was coming up.  However it was still a good help as the further I got and the few weeks it has been I couldn't remember what was coming up next.  My 3rd death was on the first alternating switches, I got past the first one, yet on the downward slide where I was to jump and hit the gravity button in mid air, I missed the jump and fell to my death.

>>> 3 Deaths

My next death was on the Machine Gun with the Magnet and the alternating gravity.  I'm guessing this was one of the last chapters 38 or 39.  I was done with the prior puzzle trap and was like, I'm good, I jumped to go turn off the magnet, and forgot that this is the part where the alternating gravity occurs naturally without me having to hit the switch. 

>>> 4 Deaths

Still not really worried, had to be close to the end and still had 2 tries left as you can finish with 5 deaths, just not 6.  So I did that proper, got passed that, was careful on the next part with the machine gun and alternating gravity and got through.  Now I'm at the bottom with the gravity changing and the big buzz saw and the other big buzz saw to the lower right.  This is just a timing one, so mid way through you do a run jump leap of faith like and the gravity switches and you are on the ceiling walking to the right.  My son seen that part and was like..."wow that is really dangerous", cool dad moment.  I think next was the final jump in the game and I remember doing it, and I did it on my first try.

Ended with 4 Deaths.

It's rewarding, a good challenge, ultimately I would still stress that there are some areas in the beginning that are challenging as much as the end.  There also seems to be some technical like parts of the game maybe midway through that have no impact on living or dying.  The hamster and the wheel, or the iron wheel trying to get it between those moving ledges.  You can fail that over and over and keep hitting the button for another wheel to come out, has no effect on your lives.  Same with the mosquito, you won't die at that part.  So there are areas of reprieve in the game where they won't be that challenging.

I enjoyed the game, good luck to those who go for it.

#NoPointInDying

• Like 3

• 1 year later...