Why aren't there any more PS3 store sales?

maxfighter23___

10 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

It's not an argument. It's a fact. The fact is the average gamer is 35 years old. It's also a fact that marketing departments predominantly target people who the most disposable income which happens to be older people. They want to sell their product. 

I wouldn’t say 35 years old is actually old. Far from it. 

Sounds like you have an issue when I’m the supposed target audience but I prefer the older stuff. Which automatically makes me a Boomer so the Grandpa Simpson memes come into play. 

12 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

Yes, facts will change over time just like everything else but this is the current state of play - not what you said. It will be difference in the years to come for sure. Baby bloomers aren't dying off either btw. They are in early retirement years or about to retire, they are cashed up and spending big - on other things besides gaming of course as that was mostly prior to their generation. 

They are dying off. The older Boomers are in their mid 70s and most of them will likely reach age 80 or older. But they’re not the target audience. 

Millennials and Zoomers have to work harder to make the same ends Boomers made decades ago, but that is a whole other discussion for another time. 

14 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

And I didn't say you haven't embraced anything modern because you like stuff from 15 years ago. Please, don't Cathy Newman me. Like everything time moves on and there will be good things and bad things about current and past generations. You have said NOTHING positive about the current gen of gaming. 

The current generation meaning 2020 forward which is the PS5 and the Xbox Series X. 

Apart from Elden Ring and some other games, I have found nothing great about this generation. 

Exclusives are out because it’s more profitable to present those multi million dollar budget games to Steam, since a huge audience of 30, 40 something year olds game on it. Xbox may as well be another PC at this point. 

Console exclusives don’t have the same appeal that they used to. 

So the PS5 being hard to get in some areas, I guess that’s because we can’t pay $600 for one. 

18 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

Yes, it has it short falls like with all this shovel ware shit right now. But the cinematic master pieces produced in some modern titles are breath taking. These games have budgets of big screen movies these days. 

Graphics do not equate to a great game. Dark Souls Remastered has good graphics and the file size of this game is under 8 GBs. Still a phenomenal title. 

Cyberpunk 2077 did not prevent people from saying it was a disaster at launch, despite having stellar graphics. 

I don’t play games for the cinematic experience, perhaps you do. And that’s fine, but saying these movie like games are awesome simply for the graphics is rather short sighted.

21 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

I’m just saying overall, the modern gaming experience is superior to the past generations. I've playing stuff since the early 90s too. And I used to love it. But I'm sure if you put me in front of a commodore 64 now and had to type, 8,1 to launch my game and play it, I'd be over it very quickly. 

Like having kids of the 90’s play the original arcade cabinet of Pong and then rejecting it because it’s too old fashioned. 

23 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

On to the topic on this thread, which relates to that stuff in way. Gaming, and Sony, is first and foremost a business. It is no longer profitable to sell ps3 games on sale these days. And like most things that age, they will probably keep going up in value (classic cars, other gaming consoles, sports cards, etc). That's the way the free market works. 

Like I said already, it’s adapt or die. 

For all the faults it has, Steam at least allows people to purchase older games at ease. Sony does not. 

PS3 and Vita games are becoming more difficult to buy because those stores haven’t been fixed in years. Patches are outright banned and if a game needs a patch, then it’s shit out of luck. 

Sony is now abandoning the PS4 Store also. It’s all about maximizing profits and if something is too risky, it is automatically passed. 

This equates to you saying “Activision/Blizzard is a business so they are free to milk their customers”. All ranters on YouTube are minorities.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, AJ_Radio said:

*snip

I'll leave it there as most of your points have some merit. However, on that last point - everything in business is always about maximising profit. Like it not. I have my own business and I'm always looking at ways to increase my margin. I would be foolish not too. I'm not running a charity.

If you are not happy with the service as a consumer you should not support said business. They will eventually fail. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, adam1984123 said:

I'll leave it there as most of your points have some merit. However, on that last point - everything in business is always about maximising profit. Like it not. I have my own business and I'm always looking at ways to increase my margin. I would be foolish not too. I'm not running a charity.

If you are not happy with the service as a consumer you should not support said business. They will eventually fail. 

I’m just one person. A man by himself is nothing. 

We can complain all we want, but we’re a minority at the end of the day. The masses will still buy the latest Madden and FIFA, two sport franchises I despise mostly because of EA holding a monopoly. 

On 8/19/2022 at 7:44 PM, EdinhoN said:

the PS3 architecture is a mess and I doubt we'll ever have a backwards compatibility as good as the 360 one on newer generations (where 70% of the console runs and the rest of the 30% are basically dead games with problems with licensing mostly, like old sports games).

Respectfully, I think you have this part somewhat mixed up. The amount of 360 games currently compatible with Xbox One/Series X is closer to 30% (632 out of roughly 2000-2150, depending on whether or not you count Kinect games or delisted XBLA games), and it wasn't a simple process either. The 360's architecture was a PowerPC-derivative that was actually more similar to PS3 than other Xbox platforms. The Xenon wasn't as intricate as the Cell perhaps but it was still different enough from the current x86 designs that BC 360 games had to go through a big re-compiling process.

That said, if Microsoft were to revisit more 360 games in the future, I hope they ditch the Xbox One and look into direct emulation for Series X and beyond, that way they wouldn't have to worry about renewing licenses for physical 360 games at least.

On 8/19/2022 at 11:58 PM, Grotz99 said:

Basically what I was going to say. I have a fat PS3 and at first I tried a PS1 game one time to see if it actually worked then went back to PS2 and PS3 games. Now if it worked for PS2 games, that would be a different story.

Just wanna add, I still to this day come across an alarmingly high amount of people that aren't aware that every PS3 model was backwards compatible with PS1 games, at most they assume only the launch models were or that it's referring to digital PS1 classics.

The most likely practical outcome of that is that they no longer own physical PS1 games or didn't even care enough to try it. If Sony have gathered even somewhat similar data from mass market research, then their attitude towards BC (or the lack thereof) isn't exactly unfounded.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, STRYKIE said:

Respectfully, I think you have this part somewhat mixed up. The amount of 360 games currently compatible with Xbox One/Series X is closer to 30% (632 out of roughly 2000-2150, depending on whether or not you count Kinect games or delisted XBLA games), and it wasn't a simple process either. The 360's architecture was a PowerPC-derivative that was actually more similar to PS3 than other Xbox platforms. The Xenon wasn't as intricate as the Cell perhaps but it was still different enough from the current x86 designs that BC 360 games had to go through a big re-compiling process.

That said, if Microsoft were to revisit more 360 games in the future, I hope they ditch the Xbox One and look into direct emulation for Series X and beyond, that way they wouldn't have to worry about renewing licenses for physical 360 games at least.

Just wanna add, I still to this day come across an alarmingly high amount of people that aren't aware that every PS3 model was backwards compatible with PS1 games, at most they assume only the launch models were or that it's referring to digital PS1 classics.

The most likely practical outcome of that is that they no longer own physical PS1 games or didn't even care enough to try it. If Sony have gathered even somewhat similar data from mass market research, then their attitude towards BC (or the lack thereof) isn't exactly unfounded.

Oops I definitely swapped the balls there, as the truth is what you said: 30%. I doubt they would ever go through complex processes to render almost all the library of 360 playable, specially when most of the 70% games that are currently not backwards aren't being sold anymore or are even disc only (they get no money from 2nd hand copies anyway). I hope someday Sony can do something for PS3 because streaming games sucks and it's not even available on my country

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sikutai said:

Dear Sony, we need a last big Vita Sale.

agreed. would love that still have 80 potential games to get (most of them non-plats) may stop after 20 because it's going to take longer than a year to get them all.

Edited by Lordguwa

• 5 months later...
On 8/19/2022 at 5:33 AM, Bya-Kuchiki said:

Because similar to the PlayStation Vita, Sony treats those Systems as legacy products.

Remember they wanted to pull the plug last year. 

I'm also afraid of Sony touching the Store ever again1f602.png

Sony is the best in that case. Microsoft was about to shut down Xbox 360 stores but said „it was a mistake“ because they knew Sony already changed their decision because everyone was upset about it, so they played it off. Nintendo already even did it for their newer era consoles, the Wii U and the 3DS, of which the latter they still sold until like 2 years ago… 

On 8/19/2022 at 6:31 AM, ResiGamer_28 said:

Sony don't give a fuck about legacy consoles despite their claims. This is unlike Microsoft who still heavily support xbox 360 with regular sales and patch updates. Sony banned updates on ps3/vita and banned sales on ps3/vita content. All Sony care about is getting people to subscribe to their Ps Plus Premium scam, under the lie of legacy content, which they are not even updating now. 

Microsoft? They were also about to shut down the Xbox 360 marketplace but saw that they can manipulate people like you to get a better reputation and called „it was a mistake“. Now they apparently even still“do discounts“, which I havent seen in a long time. If even, its just to be the good one in contrast to Sony. Laughable

45 minutes ago, gesundemBrot said:

Microsoft? They were also about to shut down the Xbox 360 marketplace but saw that they can manipulate people like you to get a better reputation and called „it was a mistake“. Now they apparently even still“do discounts“, which I havent seen in a long time. If even, its just to be the good one in contrast to Sony. Laughable

You can find the Xbox 360 deals from the ongoing Spring sale on Xbox here:

https://www.trueachievements.com/n53441/xbox-spring-sale-2023

Towards the bottom of this page, you can find the weekly deals for this particular week on Xbox 360 games:

https://www.trueachievements.com/n53451/xbox-sale-roundup-april-11th-2023

Microsoft does still "do discounts" on older gen games and if you followed Xbox deals then you would know that since it's practically every week. Admittedly it is a small chunk of the Xbox 360 game library that frequently goes on sale but it is still an option for publishers to put their Xbox 360 games on sale.

And unlike Sony, Microsoft has never announced the shutdown of their PS3-gen marketplace. The whole thing was a support article which wasn't even available for the public unless you did a specific search in their support pages. It was never formally announced and the article wasn't available except from searching. Maybe it was intended to be but they backtracked or maybe that support article was a placeholder intended for a later time. We don't know.

It's hard to deny that Microsoft is doing a better job with BC and ease of access for their PS3-gen games than Sony at this point in time. You don't have to care about it, you can claim "its just to be the good one in contrast to Sony. Laughable" but I don't think this is really debatable to be honest.

Edited by iriihutoR84

It's hard to deny that Microsoft is doing a better job with BC and ease of access for their PS3-gen games than Sony at this point in time. You don't have to care about it, you can claim "its just to be the good one in contrast to Sony. Laughable" but I don't think this is really debatable to be honest.

Well MS's "PS3-gen" games aren't made for PS3 so that makes BC way simpler for them but they still ended their BC program. PS3 games are not for sale on the PS4/5 store. They are all locked behind the PS+ prem service. That simply is how accessing those games work. What Xbox has for BC now is what they will have for BC a year from now. It is no longer doing anything beyond just existing. However, a BC program and native store discounts are two different conversations. 

Both native stores show no recent discounts at all. This is not about the Xbox Series store that has sales on compatible Xbox360 games.

https://psprices.com/region-us/index?platform=PS3

https://psprices.com/region-us/index?platform=X360