PSVR 2 Launching 22/2/23, Cost is $549.99, €599.99, £529.99

Breakingthegreen

9 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

Net curtain effect? I'm curious what this is. Did a google search and nothing.

It is when you look through the headset whilst a game is running and you see an effect as if you was looking through a window with a net curtain in it, although it wasn't as bad as that this is the name it was given.

Really surprised nothing showed up in a search, it is a known thing that seemed to affect? some people and/or some games, usually when the screen was dark.

EDIT: Seems like it is better known as the Mura effect, or screen door effect, like looking through a net curtain.

Not sure if it has an official term, but a google search of mura effect psvr brought up some threads...

Edited by Septic_Phlegm
  • Like 2

Oh that is interesting, I can't say I ever noticed.

For me, my biggest gripe would probably be low resolution (I have played a Vive so know the difference) and games that have UI that is too blurry to read at certain camera angles.

Oh and camera tracking sometimes, like suddenly it's floating away from me. Not THAT much of a big deal but very annoying when a game is difficult and requires perfect aiming / skills, which is actually possible but you feel cheated when suddenly the VR accuracy fails for a moment and costs you that sudden moment of gaming performance.

I guess it's like playing a bullet hell shooter and then suddenly the game suffering from slowdown and suddenly there are less frames being drawn and it puts you off and the game becomes a bit out of control.

I hate stuff like that. Next time I am in VR I will be sure to try and check out those black lines separating the pixels.

• Like 1

To be honest with you when you see it you can't not see it. Not unlike 'floaters' in your normal vision which many people have but don't even realise.

For me the veil, curtain effect was not in all games, it was most apparent in dark screens and when no action was taking place, it was still playable, but it did bother me a little bit.

The image above is an exaggerated image which perfectly shows the effect although it was never anywhere near as bad as this it demonstrates it effectively.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

For me, my biggest gripe would probably be low resolution

Oh and camera tracking sometimes

I agree with both of these points, I'm curious as to how the tracking would be improved, but I suppose since it's inside the headset, it would mean that the "floating" feeling would be less of an issue in theory 

Honestly, I'd be kind of fine with the resolution as long as they could upgrade textures to higher quality PS4/PS5 level assets. The camera tracking also works more or less fine if you have your back against a wall and don't try spinning around too much.

The main issue that makes PS VR1 feel incredibly dated are the controllers. You cannot play a game with 3D movement and walk with the press of a button, turn left with another and have others for turning right, strafing right, strafing left, opening the inventory etc. Especially when the button placement is as unintuitive as the Move wands. That's the main thing that ruins the PS VR1 experience to me. It's an issue in every single game with 3D movement and completely ruins the experience.

Yes, there are games with 3D movement that use the Dualshock 4 but then it's more a game with 3D visuals than a VR game. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Darling Baphomet said:

Here's an interesting point re: the discourse over the price.

Yeah I've seen this point being thrown around, but I don't think it's a one-to-one comparison, because you also have to take into account how bad things are currently with the price of living and stuff. PSVR 2 may be less expensive, or roughly in the same ballpark as the original system, but generally speaking, things were also much better 6 years ago.

That said, when the PSVR 2 is outperforming the $1,500 Meta Quest Pro in most ways, there can't be too many complaints. This is a high-end, premium headset that has all the bells and whistles that you could possibly hope for, with the exception of it not being wireless, but that has its own set of issues, so Sony were right to go wired. The bigger issue imo is the lackluster launch lineup, but the again, I've never been one to get too hung up over launch lineups. I'm sure the games will come in time. From purely a hardware perspective, this is absolutely worth every penny. I'd argue it's even underpriced. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, iriihutoR84 said:

The main issue that makes PS VR1 feel incredibly dated are the controllers. You cannot play a game with 3D movement and walk with the press of a button, turn left with another and have others for turning right, strafing right, strafing left, opening the inventory etc. Especially when the button placement is as unintuitive as the Move wands. That's the main thing that ruins the PS VR1 experience to me. It's an issue in every single game with 3D movement and completely ruins the experience.

Hmm I wouldn't go that far, I had a fun time in DoomVFR with two move controllers and got to grip with the button layout. It is definitely unintuitive I will give you that but if you can somehow battle against your muscle memory. I got 100% on DoomVFR without needing a left analogue stick. I hate more that if you point behind you or the side you might get weird drifting because of the camera only being at the front.

2 hours ago, Septic_Phlegm said:

To be honest with you when you see it you can't not see it. Not unlike 'floaters' in your normal vision which many people have but don't even realise.

For me the veil, curtain effect was not in all games, it was most apparent in dark screens and when no action was taking place, it was still playable, but it did bother me a little bit.

The image above is an exaggerated image which perfectly shows the effect although it was never anywhere near as bad as this it demonstrates it effectively.

Now that I have seen the image, I do see what you mean and actually now that I think about it, I think probably did notice that sometimes.

I'm not sure how old you are but for me I don't think that kind of effect bothers me. It's hard to explain but I remember seeing those sorts of lines in CRTs when watching TV or playing my Commodore Amiga stuff like in ye old days. At one point there were scanlines, flicker, wobbly pictures, distortion fuzz. There were all sorts of crap to put up with old TVs and scanlines, I guess I am kind of used to it, maybe even making me nostalgic.

At worst it makes the image a bit darker and blurrier than it should be, which I don't like, but I manually put scanlines in Arcade Archives games, first thing I do as without these lines the gfx seem a bit odd, well to me anyway. Which is kinda like the curtain effect but only in vertical. Does that seem weird that I am putting that distortion effect in manually?

I dunno, framerate is my thing, not so much visuals. Well of course both are important. But in VR it feels smooth and with smoothness, I can likely put up with anything. High framerates can make up for a ton of stuff.

For sure though, I hope that effect gets fixed in the future and I'm sorry to hear that seeing those lines put you off playing VR entirely. That is indeed a shame.

I sadly haven't played VR for many years either, but for me it's because I have a toddler running and well, I kinda need my eyes to be free and looking around in a hurry, something which I can't do with a headset on. lol

41 minutes ago, enaysoft said:

I sadly haven't played VR for many years either, but for me it's because I have a toddler running and well, I kinda need my eyes to be free and looking around in a hurry, something which I can't do with a headset on. lol

Oh boy can't agree more. I boosted some RIGS before closing but having a 3yo running 24/7 just makes impossible for me to play PSVR...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Septic_Phlegm said:

To be honest with you when you see it you can't not see it.

It's definitely visible for me at times, but I find it fairly easy to tune out and focus on the game world. It should be less of a thing with the PSVR2, but I expect it'll still be there to some extent given that you're still putting a screen right up against your eyes.

9 hours ago, StygianWolf4 said:

I agree with both of these points, I'm curious as to how the tracking would be improved, but I suppose since it's inside the headset, it would mean that the "floating" feeling would be less of an issue in theory 

The camera tracking's fine, honestly. It's more the controller tracking that is awful, imo. Head tracking is extremely important because if it starts glitching out you can get nauseous quick. The only real thing I noticed is that having your move controllers in front of your headset messes things up, for obvious reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darling Baphomet said:

It's definitely visible for me at times, but I find it fairly easy to tune out and focus on the game world. It should be less of a thing with the PSVR2, but I expect it'll still be there to some extent given that you're still putting a screen right up against your eyes.

I tend to find that kinda thing is mostly visible when looking at 2D images with the headset for some reason, like on the home menu, or lazily done cutscenes.

Got my preorder in via Sony Store, only thing I'm unsure about is the charging station for the controllers. Can someone who owned the OG VR tell me if it's worth it or not? I had just planned to charge the controllers via a USB charging brick you'd use for a phone. That's how I charge my headset / PS5 controller.

6 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

Got my preorder in via Sony Store, only thing I'm unsure about is the charging station for the controllers. Can someone who owned the OG VR tell me if it's worth it or not? I had just planned to charge the controllers via a USB charging brick you'd use for a phone. That's how I charge my headset / PS5 controller.

did you get an email from Sony inviting you to preorder ? I don't see anything on the site at all...

7 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

I ordered mine today as well, albeit from GameStop. I ordered the charging station too. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, official charging stands are absolutely the way to go and well worth the money. 

11 minutes ago, craig_obviously said:

did you get an email from Sony inviting you to preorder ? I don't see anything on the site at all...

Yes, I had registered for PSVR2 updates/preorder invite from the VR page on Sony's site.

8 minutes ago, The Alchemist said:

I ordered mine today as well, albeit from GameStop. I ordered the charging station too. If there's one thing I've learned over the years, official charging stands are absolutely the way to go and well worth the money. 

Hrm.. okay I guess I'll have to put in a second order for the charging station. USB Block works well for the Pulse Headset and PS5 controller, but something more official for a large ticket item like the VR is probably a smart move. Thanks.

33 minutes ago, Skurkitty said:

Hrm.. okay I guess I'll have to put in a second order for the charging station. USB Block works well for the Pulse Headset and PS5 controller, but something more official for a large ticket item like the VR is probably a smart move. Thanks.

I mean, it isn't a necessity, any old cable and charger combo will work fine. I was only speaking from my own experience and preferences. Any official Sony charging station I've bought in the past has been worth it, because they're convenient, high-quality and we'll built, and usually not that expensive. Hell, I'm still using the charging station I got along with my PS4 at launch way back in 2013 and it still works perfectly to this day.

Not only that, but after a year or two the official ones usually become harder to find, probably because Sony stops manufacturing them. When that happens the only option left is the crappy licensed versions, which are almost always super cheaply made and fiddly to use. If you're in the market for a charging station, my advice is spend the little extra and get the official one while it's available. 

• Like 1

I pre-ordered my PSVR 2 (Horizon bundle) and the charging stand from PlayStation Direct. I felt the charger was necessary.

1 hour ago, The Alchemist said:

If there's one thing I've learned over the years, official charging stands are absolutely the way to go and well worth the money. 

Facts! Honestly, so much better just to get something that's official

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 15/11/2022 at 7:03 PM, StygianWolf4 said:

I pre-ordered my PSVR 2 (Horizon bundle) and the charging stand from PlayStation Direct. I felt the charger was necessary.

Facts! Honestly, so much better just to get something that's official

I dont know if it's still the case with those pads, but until now, all my pads (ps3 / 4 / 5 / move), i just use an usb cable on my computer to charge them ^^'

Never needed an extra charger :o 

57 minutes ago, seblegamer said:

I dont know if it's still the case with those pads, but until now, all my pads (ps3 / 4 / 5 / move), i just use an usb cable on my computer to charge them ^^'

Never needed an extra charger :o 

The PSVR 2 does come with a charger for the pads but I bought the charger so I can charge both of the pads at the same time. It's just a convenience more than anything, plus it gives them a safe place to store them rather than risk them getting scratched. (I'm just picky like that though) 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, StygianWolf4 said:

The PSVR 2 does come with a charger for the pads but I bought the charger so I can charge both of the pads at the same time. It's just a convenience more than anything, plus it gives them a safe place to store them rather than risk them getting scratched. (I'm just picky like that though) 

Oh i didnt noticed there is a charger included (damn i paid 650€ and dont even know what is inside the pack -_-')

Cant wait to try Horizon ^^

1 hour ago, StygianWolf4 said:

Ive preordered the call of the mountain game and console bundle (no charging station - wish i did now for your exact reasoning) ill just have to pick up a charging station at a later time, i just want my vr already lol, it seems like months ago i preordered, i never had the first one but i kinda always wanted one but put it off,

i jumped on the chance this time around when sony emailed me about it