PSVR 2 Launching 22/2/23, Cost is $549.99, €599.99, £529.99

Breakingthegreen

Honestly expected the price to be a bit higher considering this seems to be more high-end than what the PSVR was for its time, more like $750 rather than $550. Still can't say I really want it though, considering that 1) I vividly remember barely using PSVR after launch and then seeing it drop dramatically in price not too long after and 2) I need relatively open space to use the VR without fear of knocking shit over while I'm functionally blind to the outside world, which my desk cannot provide for me, meaning I have to get a second PS5 to put somewhere with actual space. That second point likely won't happen for me until either a PS5 Pro comes out or we're far enough into the generation that a mid-gen upgrade wouldn't be happening, at which point I would hope the PS5 wouldn't still cost $500. Either way, the price point should easily be cheaper by that time considering general reception to this thing is "ew, what the fuck Sony."

• Like 1

After seeing the $1500 price tag for the new Meta Super Mega Quest 2 or whatever it’s called now I was worried that PSVR2 was going to be a lot more expensive. $550 seems reasonable considering PSVR1 plus accessories was around the same price.

The question I have is what is the availability going to be like? I have around $275 in Best Buy rewards points so by the release date I should have just about enough to cover the cost, but will I be able to purchase it easily at Best Buy? The low stock at Best Buy for PS5 console actually worked in my favor as I was able to accrue $400 in rewards by the time one was available and ending up paying $30 out of pocket. Hoping to do the same with PSVR2.

7 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

With as few games that came out on PSVR1 and this isnt even backwards compatible, theres no way Im picking this up for the price. Especially when there will only be 10-15 games I find worth playing. Guess Ill be buying a cheap PSVR1 and games for the experience.

the B/C is a problem but where does this narrative come from that there are only a few PSVR games?

There are over 600 games that are either for VR or support VR, including a whole bunch of free 2 play stuff.

Granted, a lot of those games are "experiences" or fancy demos, but still ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_VR_games

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cferguson9595 said:

With as few games that came out on PSVR1 and this isnt even backwards compatible, theres no way Im picking this up for the price. Especially when there will only be 10-15 games I find worth playing. Guess Ill be buying a cheap PSVR1 and games for the experience.

You're not going to be getting 'the experience', at least not one comparable to PSVR2, which looks to be an actual, functional headset. As someone who's a big fan of PSVR1, even I have to admit it's janky as shit. Tracking is extremely weird, with your arms often randomly jittering around the screen, the lack of joysticks makes moving around really weird, and the screen and graphic quality leave a lot to be desired.

That's not to say you should go out and buy it immediately - I'll probably wait a year or two since I can't afford buying games at full price anyway - but this isn't like playing games in 1080p versus playing games in 4k. The PSVR1 is and was a great first look at VR for a lot of people, myself included... but it's honestly an extremely primitive device that was barely running on the PS4.

• Like 1

I'm not particularly rich but I'll prioritize it. VR is an absolute game changer and the biggest leap in gaming since... ever so I'll find a way. Hopefully there will be a bit more support from major publishers this time around since modern games are forced to scale to weaker hardware. It shouldn't be impossible to render many modern games in 3D. 

• Like 2

The one thing I hope that comes eventually (the sooner the better) is PC compatibility. This thing would fly off the shelves if it had that, and I'm a little surprised that it wasn't a priority from the get-go. But with most first-party titles going to PC nowadays, albeit not right away, this does give me some hope that they're at least considering it. To be honest, I think it's something they need, because the PlayStation user base on its own will not move the needle that much. I'm sure it will sell more units than the original system, but I don't know if that will be enough for it to be considered a success when all is said and done.

For VR to truly succeed, all of the invested companies need to be doing everything they can to work together. A rising tide lifts all boats. I know some people here are laughing at the price, but this thing is an absolute beast that outperforms virtually all other headsets in the same price range, even outdoing some of the more stupidly expensive ones in some specific metrics. It's absolutely worth every penny for what you're getting. If anything, I'd be surprised if they're making any profit at the listed price, perhaps breaking even at best. But my point is that at that price, it would be very enticing to a lot of PC gamers in the market for a VR headset, which is why I can't believe PC compatibility wasn't there from the start, especially when VR seems to be more popular in the PC space, generally speaking. 

Another slight issue is the launch lineup, which for me, besides Horizon, is a little lackluster. A lot of the announced games still give off 'tech demo' vibes. We need true killer apps that push the tech to its limit. Unfortunately, if you've been following VR for a while, you will know that killer apps is something that's been a problem with VR in general. Low adoption rates means developers are unwilling to invest tens of millions into true AAA experiences, so we end up with half-baked, smaller experiences instead. Couple that with a lot of headsets having weaker hardware, and true VR experiences are few and far between. But with PSVR 2 being a truly premium headset with the tech and power to deliver proper experiences, I'm hoping it will help to reinvigorate the VR market, but it still needs to sell a lot of units for that to happen. For a start, Sony should be doing everything in their power to get games like Half-life: Alyx, Boneworks, Bonelab, and all of the other bigger PC VR games ported over. Alyx by itself could seriously shift units. 

With that said, though, I'm still hugely optimistic and excited for this new system. I love my PSVR and I've had some of my most fun gaming moments with it. VR in general is amazing imo, even bad games are still fun in VR. It's something you really need to try for yourself, because no amount of pictures or videos will properly convey the experience. I really hope PSVR 2 is a massive success, because I don't want VR to go away anytime soon lol. 

Edited by The Alchemist

Price isn’t as bad as it looks when you consider that it includes everything it’s not that much more than the original. The specs are also vastly improved and if you just compare it to other headsets on the market it’s one of the cheaper ones for what you get 

try to take the ps5 out of the equation and just look at the headset itself and compare to the others 

Edited by parkerdip

54 minutes ago, TJ_Solo said:

It is funny seeing how many people complain about the lack of B/C with PSVR1 games that have 0 PSVR1 games on their profile.  The complaint works better on youtube or twitter or IG.

It's funny to you that people who've never played PSVR1 games have more to gain from being able to play PSVR1 games than people who already have? That just seems like common sense to me.

• Like 2

I'm convinced that most of the biggest PS VR1 games will be ported to the successor and I think that many PS VR1 games feel incredibly dated anyway because of the poorly designed Move controllers so these games are best left in the past. It sucks that existing owners will have to pay for some upgrades but it will lead to better experiences, designed for proper controllers. 

PS VR1 was a great time but the number of games I would call "essential" for the headset is minimal, especially if we factor in how poorly the controls in many games feel compared to a modern headset with proper controllers. If Sony ports a handful of their first party games then we really aren't missing out on that much by the successor not being BC. 

I mean, what do y'all without PS VR1 actually want to play that released on the system?

Edited by iriihutoR84
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the original PSVR, but there was a couple of things I had issues with.

1. The net curtain effect, I just couldn't not see it, it stopped me playing as much as I otherwise would have.

2. Light entering through the bottom of the rubber, no matter how much I 'fiddled' with the headset I could rarely get it right and I was adjusting it as much as I was actually playing it. 

Now the PSVR2 looks to have addressed both of those issues and will be in 4K OLED.

I am really excited about this and have started to put some money away each month for the last 6 months to help with the purchase price.

The way I see it is that I get shouted at by customers 4 days a week and gaming is my escape and there are not many better ways to escape than inside a VR headset.

Day one for me if I can get one.

Edited by Septic_Phlegm