How is the game currently? (2023)

Dade728883

3 hours ago, Letenko said:

Great questions all around.

1. 76.44GB as of today. I have it installed on my PS5 for faster loading. For patches, or rather DLC, I think it's about 25GB usually.

2. A lot of builds are viable, so don't think too hard about it for now, the meta however is and always was a "Bloodied Build", where you purposfully lower your max HP and use weapons that have increased damage and armor with damage reductions the lower your health is. I don't enjoy that playstyle as I like to be a tank myself, so I do a full health + full hunger and thirst build. You cna respec your character and have 2 different builds, you cna also purchase extra build slots with Atoms.

3. You can do the entire game solo, however you won't be killing end-game bosses solo (currently only one, the Scorchbeast Queen is needed for a trophy). Don't sweat it as when each of the bosses are spawned via a nuke launch, it creates an events for the entire server, so you'll usually have lots of support from randoms as they drop great gear. I always try to do these events as they are great even for high level players.

4. No. I have seen a nuke target a player's CAMP maybe a handful of times.. not because the community is above it, but when you see that a nuke is targeting your camp you usually change servers so your stuff doesn't get blown up. So people don't spend their resources on this.

5. I think the PvP unlocks at level 5, but I am not 100% sure. Nobody does PvP in this game. Level 5 will take you about 2 hours of play if you're REALLY slow.

6. This is too broad, I can tell you that I don't worry about caps too much as there is a carry limit of 40 000. Each day NPC vendors have 1400 caps that you can get by selling them stuff. You can keep repeating this each day, however end-game caps come from having a vendor in your camp selling stuff players want. My best seller is Bobbleheads, Magazines, Rare plans (that I sell cheap) and Screws + Gears.

7. There is a limit of how many you can have at one time I think, but not how many you can delete and create. I am sure of this as I have made over 40 when I was grinding for rare outfits.

8. I never had anything glitch on me when I played since launch, so I wouldn't know about this. I also never heard any complaints myself, so I really can't tell you.

9. It's about once or twice per season. There is double XP on right now for example, it really helps to gain season ranks and levels overall.

10. They aren't if we're talking buying stuff that's pay to win. 99% of what you buy from the Atom shop is cosmetics. Sometimes thy introduce stuff that creates items in your CAMP, like a coffee machine, fusion core recharger, a bot that collects junk, etc. What could be considered really unfair is with a Fallout 1st subscription (full disclosure, I have one myself) you get a Scrap Box to store ALL your crafting materials so you don't have to use your normal storage for it. (personally this allows me to store an insane amount of all scrap, so I never had to worry about crafting) it also allows you to place a survival tent anywhere in ther world, which acts as a free fast travel spot (you pay caps to fast travel to most locations, otherwise). If your subscription expires then you can take out and use crafting materials form your Scrapbox, but you can't put new ones in.

One thing that I want to be very clear about - as a new player you will have a TON of in-game challenges that award Atoms. They'll practically shower you with Atoms during the start of the game, so if you don't want to spend real money on this, sit on them until you need them.

Thank you for the pointers :). If I do get this, I'm going to have to rethink which games I keep installed, because both my Hard Drives are nearly full so will have to delete some stuff to make room for it.

On 23/12/2022 at 6:08 PM, Letenko said:

The Premium subscription called Fallout 1st is not needed for any trophies at all, but it does make storage managment a lot easier + if you really hate people (which you shouldn't, the community here is great) it allows you to have a private world.

It makes me laugh that Fallout 1st offers a private world. The sense of community and other players is part of what makes the world of Appalachia so immersive - and I say that as a solo player!

• Like 3

I ended up playing F76 and so far it's actually great. I'm playing solo, for now I'm not planning on continuing past the story and that way, despite some online quirks, it feels like a pretty standard Fallout game to me. I'm actually surprised how unintrusive the premium shop thing is - got some premium currency from playing and I literally have nothing to buy there as I don't care about the camp and cosmetic stuff. 

Not sure if I would've tried to plat it on Playstation but purely as a game, it's way more fun than I anticipated. 

So thanks for this thread ?

• Like 2

19 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

Is there anyway of tracking the trophy related stats? I ask, because there a couple of trophies I feel should have unlocked by now but haven't :(,

For some when u press 'options' & I guess 'right' on the dpad u end up in the dailies/weeklies stats, in one of those u can look up some of these stats as they have in-game rewards (like the 50 locks picked & 50 terminals hacked)

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, eGEORGE__ said:

The grind for stamps to get the autoaxe is tough. I get 3-10 stamps per day and can't find any active expeditions through server hopping. So getting the 100% right now is gonna be a pain.

With the influx of new players, it shouldn't be too long for more expeditions to show up :).

Edited by HuntingFever
Fixed typo.

32 minutes ago, eGEORGE__ said:

The grind for stamps to get the autoaxe is tough. I get 3-10 stamps per day and can't find any active expeditions through server hopping. So getting the 100% right now is gonna be a pain.

I'm so glad I got the auto axe before the last season ended as I knew this would happen. It was much faster to grind the challenges to seasonal rank 15 (where the auto axe is awarded) than do boring expeditions while relying on other players for more. I do hope FOMO isn't going to be a part of any future Fallout 76 trophies going forward though. Nothing worse than having to install a game in a hurry before the developers mess something up.

3 minutes ago, eGEORGE__ said:

Other than that though, I the game has made vast improvements since launch.

Agreed :). I just wish they would sort out the framerate, because it's lousy in certain parts of the map, plus I've had the game crash on me a couple of times now when I wasn't even doing anything :(.

As a warning, getting 100% is a potential 3 month grind of daily playing of 3 small quests and one large question with a perfect run. This can be cut down with a team. That'll just require the 3 small missions and repeating the large mission 4 times.

This is to get the auto axe associated with the Pitt DLC troglodiced trophy

8 minutes ago, eGEORGE__ said:

Yea I'm at 23 stamps towards the 1000 lmfao.  I'm hoping that it pops as the random weekly plan for completing an expedition. Other than that though, I the game has made vast improvements since launch.

It's not a part of the loot pool. The stamp store is the only way currently

I honestly don't recommend starting if you're not prepared to sink a shit ton of time, mainly due to The Pitt. 

Getting the stamps required is going to be a loooong and tedious grind if they don't change it. That is only one part of the grind, you still have the main game, wastelanders, and the brotherhood stuff.

It is relatively stable, you'll blue screen a lot, mainly during expedition runs. I enjoy it, but I don't think I would have started it post the Nuka World on Tour update.

3 hours ago, RaidenXS said:

As a warning, getting 100% is a potential 3 month grind of daily playing of 3 small quests and one large question with a perfect run. This can be cut down with a team. That'll just require the 3 small missions and repeating the large mission 4 times.

This is to get the auto axe associated with the Pitt DLC troglodiced trophy

It's not a part of the loot pool. The stamp store is the only way currently

Good shout - I suppose I'll just friend request people from the forums looking to party up for stamps to try to cut the grind down.  Too bad it's not in the weekly loot pool...or tradeable. Or maybe just let me buy one for a one time use lol

If you like base building/creating your own little "home", I can't think of a single game out there better at it besides maybe Animal Crossing

This game got a really bad rap at launch and rightfully so, but now it's great. It's been great for a while. To me it's the second best in the series next to new vegas. The story itself is nothing to write home about, that includes the DLC's, but the base building aspect of it is what the endgame really is and I think if you looked up some people's bases on youtube or whatever you can see how intricate you can really get. The platinum is fun and has you do pretty much everything worth doing in the game. People are sleeping on it because of how it was at launch.

IDK why people are complaining about the pitt. I didn't find it that hard/long at all really. The worst grind were the two factions having to do the dailies and getting them both to max rep or whatever (the previous DLC)

Edited by ChibsSoA

4 hours ago, zachhero said:

I honestly don't recommend starting if you're not prepared to sink a shit ton of time, mainly due to The Pitt. 

Getting the stamps required is going to be a loooong and tedious grind if they don't change it. That is only one part of the grind, you still have the main game, wastelanders, and the brotherhood stuff.

It is relatively stable, you'll blue screen a lot, mainly during expedition runs. I enjoy it, but I don't think I would have started it post the Nuka World on Tour update.

On the one hand,  though, if the person is mixing in Expeditions with Wastelanders, Steel Reign and the main campaign they may not have to grind as hard since they can move back and forth between Expeditions and the other stuff. It's only really if you've only got Expeditions left that I can see it being a pain.

43 minutes ago, ChibsSoA said:

IDK why people are complaining about the pitt. I didn't find it that hard/long at all really. The worst grind were the two factions having to do the dailies and getting them both to max rep or whatever (the previous DLC)

The Pitt, itself, is easy, it's the fact that if you missed last season then you'll have to grind it for the stamps to buy the auto axe which is tediously long.

As I haven't been able to play alot last year (since July actually) up until mid-December, u might think when i hopped back on & noticed i was like, 2 weeks too late to grab the auto axe plan from the seasonal rewards, that I might be discouraged to ever start this again since that trophy is literally the only thing i have to do.

And yes, I am discouraged & think 'god this is gonna take ages again', worst part is that I cant really do them alone (i fail to protect the union guys in union dues, these trogs are awfully hard to beat solo) & the real worst is that they made this mission 'so long' & behind a 'wall' of 3 small missions that have to be completed daily in order to just even be able to play it, I usually get some guys hopping on my expedition teams but I hardly ever find another team, to me this shows that these '3 boring repetitive quests' are just too long to bother with for most people, I don't even think that the influx of new players helps that much either, Pitt trophies are quite far away for new people (they have to get to Whitespring at first) & without proper equipment I think this ends up most new people not worrying about it until later on (in the beginning this game feels so massive, with challenges, scoreboards, missions, side missions, events, daily ops, expeditions, dlc,..., Then some random dude u talk to starts something else again,...)

I wanted to check this out casually as a way to kill time before Hogwarts (and after). Reading the recent comments makes it seem like a real slog of a process to 100%. One comment pointing out at least a 3 month investment... might end of reconsidering my decision. That's a large time investment for a game that doesn't seem to be actually worth said time investment.

Since it coming for free for subscribers I was interested in giving this a go as never really given fallout games a go (I did try fallout 4 but I was one of those tools who somehow missed the vats tutorial in game so had no idea about all that slo mo stuff), but what really made me turn my back was when it became clear just how deep the base building mechanics went. Just a big no from me at that point. Can’t stand things that feel like a sustained grind.

8 hours ago, zachhero said:

going to be a loooong and tedious grind

So this alone is enough to make up my mind to step away from the cookie jar. Glad I checked this thread. Cheers guys

• Like 1

I’ve had trouble with it. I went back to try and plat it last year and it crashed constantly on certain missions so I can’t move on. Very annoying. It’s frustrating going back to a game having to learn it all again multiple times and then it just crashes. No idea why it runs so bad for me. But I’m gonna have to go back at some point to finish it. When I first played it years ago I did enjoy it, but now it’s just a chore. 

Game is terrible, can’t recommend to anyone tbh, even free. I played on launch and although it has been improved a lot, they nerfed several builds and it’s not really fun anymore. If you’re going for trophies, it’ll be a laggy, grindy, inventory management mess to the end of the 100%. Typical Bethesda disaster… brilliant concept, terribly executed.

76 is a lot of fun.  As a solo player the only trophy I struggled with was the 20 player kills - which is easy enough if you can find someone to boost.  The rest of the trophies came naturally.

When it comes to the Pitt grind, don't bother with From Ashes to Fire after the trophy, Union Dues is almost always faster and easier (even solo).  I use a chainsaw with a fire damage mod + Friendly Fire perk to keep the NPCs healed during the last objective.

If anyone is interested, SarDeliac started a new character this season to showcase the new player experience.  Worth watching if you're on the fence.

Edited by j_pitcher