World Cup 2014

Connie

The Netherlands played awful. The way things look, those 3 wins in the group stage were more of a blunder than anything. They're lucky their side of the finals is so easy, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get to the final (again) to lose (again).

That Robben dive though!

It's quite hard to play decent with that temperature... Mexico only had 2 maybe 3 decent attacks and the last 20 mins we dominated them and deserved to get the win ;)

• Like 2

The Netherlands played awful. The way things look, those 3 wins in the group stage were more of a blunder than anything. They're lucky their side of the finals is so easy, otherwise they wouldn't be able to get to the final (again) to lose (again).

That Robben dive though!

So did Brazil, and Argentina, and Uruguay, and England, and Italy, and all the other top teams in the world cup so far. Matches are decided by 1 or 2 players in each team.

And about the side being easy, they'll probably end up against Argentina in the semis if things keep going as they are.

To be fair he deserved a penalty in the first half and could have gone down earlier in the second, so swings and roundabouts I guess. The Netherlands did play poorly though and Mexico didn't deserve the finish they had.

I feel sorry for the Mexican keeper, i wanted to see more of him! He was amazing.

• Like 2

So did Brazil, and Argentina, and Uruguay, and England, and Italy, and all the other top teams in the world cup so far. Matches are decided by 1 or 2 players in each team.

And about the side being easy, they'll probably end up against Argentina in the semis if things keep going as they are.

All of those teams haven't played well (and all of them but 2 have been knocked out, too). Indeed, sometimes a couple of players end up deciding the match, but today the guy that decided it did so with a blatant dive. The Netherlands looked uncreative and extremely disorganized, and not even their three main guys could really do anything.

I actually don't think Argentina will get there. Switzerland has proved to be extremely well organized, and Argentina proved its weaknesses against Iran and Nigeria (even if they did end up winning both matches). Supposing they do beat them, they're up agaisnt the US (another well organized team) or Belgium (I don't really expect much from them, but I suppose they could surprise us all). If they do happen to get there, I don't think they'll reach the final lol. Then again, after today, they might as well reach it.

It's quite hard to play decent with that temperature... Mexico only had 2 maybe 3 decent attacks and the last 20 mins we dominated them and deserved to get the win ;)

Sure, blame it on the weather :P. You can do that too when they get knocked out (most likely in the final match) lol.

And one thing is dominating with the possession, another is dominating by playing well. They did the former, not the latter. Pretty much every attempt at goal consisted of crossing, and all of them were way off-target and were either cleared by defenders or turned into corners. They weren't passing well, they weren't shooting on-target and they looked rather weak and pathetic lol. Had Mexico tried to play more offensively, they probably could've scored, given how awful the Netherlands defended up 'till that point.

All of those teams haven't played well (and all of them but 2 have been knocked out, too). Indeed, sometimes a couple of players end up deciding the match, but today the guy that decided it did so with a blatant dive. The Netherlands looked uncreative and extremely disorganized, and not even their three main guys could really do anything.

Yeah, the refs generally aren't too good this world cup. So many mistakes already. Same thing happened with Greece, they'd be knocked out, but got a penalty in the last minute.

Yeah, the refs generally aren't too good this world cup. So many mistakes already. Same thing happened with Greece, they'd be knocked out, but got a penalty in the last minute.

Yeah, this is probably the World Cup with the most ref "mistakes" in decades. Let's imagine how many more there'd be if there wasn't goal-line technology.

I've already lost 7 points out of 9 in these 3 matches, i'll put some water on him :P

I'll lose my 1st place in no time. 5 point lead is now a 2 point lead. And i wouldn't be surprised if there's a tie after the match later on :P

That's fine with me as it keeps it more exciting. We wouldn't want you getting too far ahead, now would we? :P

Holland probably would of gone through eventually in extra time, without Robben's dive, the momentum was with the Dutch the minute the Mexicans scored, in which they laid back. 

I don't think either team would've been very offensive during extra-time. The Netherlands were tired as hell already, so I figure they would've settled with trying not to concede a goal and going to penalties. Nowadays that's what most teams do during extra time: play it safe, so as to not get wasted.

That Robben dive though!

If you beat Spain 5-1 you can hardly call it sheer luck. Any true sportsman will tell you that real champions even win terrible games. It doesn't matter how ugly you win, it's the result that counts. Argentina isn't that scary, I wouldn't be surprised to see them plough through the finals yet again :wub:

Hup Holland Hup!!

• Like 2

And thats what makes teams good, when they can pull a result out of nothing when they are playing absolute dogshite. Happens in the Premier league all the time, Man city playing crap yet they still get the win, its called consistency.

Last I checked consistency meant something else entirely ("the quality of achieving a level of performance which does not vary greatly in quality over time"). What you're talking about is something different, more along the lines of not giving up and the like.

Good teams are good because they play well and get the desired results, not because they're awful and still win, for in the end they win for a very short amount of time and then go back to being called 'awful' - just ask Greece and that "mythical" 2004 Euro win. They were shit, they played shit, and after that miracle, they've gone back to being shit, and no one will say they were good. They won and everything, but no one thinks they played well. Another great example is Italy in 2006, but even that team had good playes and some good stuff.

Ultimately Mexico being laid back in the 2nd half was their undoing, it happens so many times when your holding into a one-nil lead and are just happy to sit back and let the other team dominant the match and this game proved no different.

They scored in the second half though, not to mention the Netherlands started pushing much more with that goal as well. There's also the weather tiring them out, which made them not want to (and not be able to as well) attack and run as much. The Netherlands were obligated to do so because they were losing, so of course they kept running around.

Yes! I'm so happy that Costa Rica got through. Greece's football disgusts me.

Agreed, same as Italy's more often than not. Still, Costa Rica went back to its antics for a moment there: diving, flopping and generally kicking everything but the ball.