Do y'all just ever have a deep and strong urge to go explore abandoned places or is that just me?

x49ersblitzkreig

7 hours ago, torchicgal said:

I've always wanted to, but I have no one to do it with! 

Actually, a few friends and I in high school explored an abandoned asylum.. but they were renovating most of it so it wasn't exactly abandoned. Mini-golf or a waterpark has always been on my list though.

I had mates I used to explore with but we don't talk anymore due to a recent falling out. I explore alone now which is quite relaxing. There is this abandoned auto shop near my house that I explored with my friends. It caught on fire back when the build was still in commission so that's why it's abandoned. My friends and I found an old broken phone with the SIM card still in it. We decided to plug the sim card into my computer to see what was on it and we found a lot of family photos and a guy that took a photo with 6 Hooters workers. We also found a message log with a phone number. I decided to pitch the idea that we should return the SIM card to the owner once I saw the number. My friends agreed to it because they wanted money (I just wanted to do a good thing).  We called the number and told them that we found the SIM card in the abandoned building but we told them the wrong name of the owner so we awkwardly hung up and did more searching. (I forgot to mention that we found two names that could've been the owner 1 before the call and 1 after the call.) We later found a second name which turned out to be the owner so we called the number again and told them the other owners name and they remembered it. We told the person on the phone that we wanted to return it to them and they told us to meet up the local library.  Turns out the person we were talking to was the wife of the owner and they were happy that we were able to return it. We never got paid, but I was happy that we were able to do a good thing.

1 minute ago, RedDevil757 said:

I do it. Started from a young age in the 90s when my dad took me to an abandoned school (to nick the copper). I still remember him falling through the floor on the second level 

What did you need the copper for also how did your dad fall through the floor?

44 minutes ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

To sell. It had been abandoned for years so wasn't very safe. It was only a wooden floor. We was in the dark without a torch too which wasn't great. Didn't hurt him. Made a mess though 😂

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

To sell. You can get a decent amount of money from copper. There are people that will loot construction sites for copper pipe or various type of cable and peel off the casing for the copper inside. i dont see the harm if the place is a abandoned tho

• Like 1

In case you’re not aware of this already, this hobby is called “urban exploration” and there’s an entire internet subculture dedicated to sharing their adventures.

There’s tons of YouTube channels of people who travel the world and explore some really awesome and creepy places, both famous locations like the Paris catacombs or abandoned New York subway tunnels, and buildings and places you’ve never heard of. There’s even a database online where people share cool spots in their cities, so you could try looking yours up and see if there’s anything nearby to explore you haven’t heard of.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, funboy1246 said:

To sell. You can get a decent amount of money from copper. There are people that will loot construction sites for copper pipe or various type of cable and peel off the casing for the copper inside. i dont see the harm if the place is a abandoned tho

Good point. There is no harm if they arn't using it.

17 minutes ago, dieselmanchild said:

In case you’re not aware of this already, this hobby is called “urban exploration” and there’s an entire internet subculture dedicated to sharing their adventures.

There’s tons of YouTube channels of people who travel the world and explore some really awesome and creepy places, both famous locations like the Paris catacombs or abandoned New York subway tunnels, and buildings and places you’ve never heard of. There’s even a database online where people share cool spots in their cities, so you could try looking yours up and see if there’s anything nearby to explore you haven’t heard of.

I was aware of the urban exploration hobby thanks though. Do you have a link to this database?

55 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

To sell. It had been abandoned for years so wasn't very safe. It was only a wooden floor. We was in the dark without a torch too which wasn't great. Didn't hurt him. Made a mess though 😂

Lol.

2 hours ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

I was aware of the urban exploration hobby thanks though. Do you have a link to this database?

There’s a lot of different sites you could check out.

UER seems to be the best one for a database. But if you just Google you can find tons of other similar sites. Infiltration.org, Forbidden-places.net, Ominous Abandoned Places etc. At the very least you can find lots of cool stories and pictures and stuff.

Generally, not really. I saw a video from Pripyat once though, some guy just walking around the neighborhood with no one in sight and the place basically frozen it time, in a way. People just left one day, for obvious reasons. 

I've been kind of obsessed about experiencing that ever since, the pure loneliness of it. Never really pursued it, I assume it's impossible without some sort of a tour or a guide, and that would defeat the purpose. 

Yes I love it. My brother like to do it whenever we can.

Here's some photos of an abandoned insane asylum we went to in East Bethany, NY back in 2019

1l15wx4.jpeg

9VxxpDx.jpeg

BIRFPe3.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Terra said:

Yes I love it. My brother like to do it whenever we can.

Here's some photos of an abandoned insane asylum we went to in East Bethany, NY back in 2019

1l15wx4.jpeg

9VxxpDx.jpeg

BIRFPe3.jpeg

That place is massive. I bet y'all had alot of fun exploring.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 8:25 AM, x49ersblitzkreig said:

The artwork looks amazing. I've been trying to get into graffiti but I don't have the equipment to do any. 

The woman that you mentioned was probably homeless and carrying her belongings that she managed to gather in that plastic bag.

the best tips i can start you off with when doing street art are actual tips, bombing science and art primo sell special cap tips that make the lines spray more thin or more bigger. i also like german paint  better like montana paint because their can pressure is different. youll notice some cheap paints run watery like stay away from krylon they changed their caps and formula and its awful. painters touch is good. paint is really expensive now. it was only 2-4$ before, now its like 7+. rustoleum is still always good. get some cardboard and practice on that. just try not to destroy anything nice. there is still somewhat a code to stand by. dont ruin nice areas, dont ruin churches, and dont paint over the numbers on the trains. generally people who work with train companies dont care there is graffiti on them but they do care when they cant read the serial number on the train  because it was painted over

• Like 1

2 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

the best tips i can start you off with when doing street art are actual tips, bombing science and art primo sell special cap tips that make the lines spray more thin or more bigger. i also like german paint  better like montana paint because their can pressure is different. youll notice some cheap paints run watery like stay away from krylon they changed their caps and formula and its awful. painters touch is good. paint is really expensive now. it was only 2-4$ before, now its like 7+. rustoleum is still always good. get some cardboard and practice on that. just try not to destroy anything nice. there is still somewhat a code to stand by. dont ruin nice areas, dont ruin churches, and dont paint over the numbers on the trains. generally people who work with train companies dont care there is graffiti on them but they do care when they cant read the serial number on the train  because it was painted over

Thanks for the tips. I'll make sure to follow the code. 

• Like 1