Do y'all just ever have a deep and strong urge to go explore abandoned places or is that just me?

x49ersblitzkreig

I sometimes have huge urges to go explore abandoned places like it's a strong calling that I can't resist. Does anyone else ever get that type of feeling?

Edit: I also want to go to some abandoned places so I can practice my ukulele.

Edited by x49ersblitzkreig
I just wanted to add the edit.
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

I sometimes have huge urges to go explore abandoned places like it's a strong calling that I can't resist. Does anyone else ever get that type of feeling?

Yes. All of the time. I wish I could be like a magician, click my fingers, and disappear into oblivion forever. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Redgrave said:

I like to look at ship graveyards since the idea of one or a bunch of wrecked/decommissioned ships all in one spot is interesting to me. I think it's because it means that ship has some kind of history to it and it's cool to think about what all it went through. Something like this for example.

X3ouanBn.jpg

Don't think I would want to explore one though since I don't want to get super tetanus or somehow get trapped. It's the same with abandoned buildings except I don't want to risk breathing in something bad or getting jumped by a crack fiend or a ghoul.

I agree with the reasoning as to why you wouldn't want to explore one. The risk factor could be very high even with the right preps but in my opinion that makes it more fun.

Edited by x49ersblitzkreig
I merged two quotes into one by accident lol.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, melodicmizery said:

yes im 43 and still explore abandoned places. anytime i see one, i go in. growing up in the city ghetto we had railroad tracks by my house and then  a deep valley. there use to be a bridge that went across it and i could only find the pillars. there was a dump site down there and a cliff mostly of slate rock that we called "bare ass" it looked like a giant ass lol. we as kids would somehow sacle to the top of this cliff and jump off it like idiots and get pretty messed up. this was the start of my exploring. in this dump site were valleys and roads and people would dump mostly concrete and stuff from houses. when you went even farther there was a stream of water. the bridges down there above the water were dated from the 1800s. and had old graffiti inside from people who were the generation above us who use to roam down there. if you went even farther down this creek you would eventually find a waterfall. i eventually one day a few years ago got a few pics from people in their 70s of this area when they were kids and one part was called the lagoon where alot of people swam but after some drownings it was a bit filled in and forrest overgrew it. the waterfall was a task to get to, took us half the day of trying to not get wet and falling off rocks into the water. now the waterfall is part of a park attraction and they built a ledge on it and people take pics and im like you have no clue what we went through to get here and now u can get here in a minute lol

in my late 20s i got into graffiti. while taking the freeway to work everyday i would look for new graffiti on the highway walls or bridges or streets outside of the freeway and got familiar with the names. i use to always say it would be cool to meet these guys they look like their having fun. i would point graffiti out to my dad when we were on the freeway driving to a job and he got interested in it. slowly i started to meet these artists, and then went to a few graffiti shows etc and the past 20 years have got to know almost all of them. this led me into alot of abandoned building exploring. exploring more tracks with trains and whatever else

i still do graffiti time to time but barely. the carpel tunnel in my hands makes it to hard to get thin lines when i spray. so i switched to using gallons of paint and rollling my name in 100 foot long letters. id do this under bridges and etc. one day i did it on the freeway my name was 100 ft long. i took my dad there and we parked the next day and sat there and looked at it and admired how cool it was. it was the length of almost 5 houses wide. i said im prob going to get arrested for this just so you know pops

my body and knees and etc ached to much to do any of that but i still loved exploring the places i was painting inside. and i said to myself why do i need to paint my name inside, why cant i just go and take videos and pictures? and so i did and still do. 

eventually i linked up with a famous abandoned photographer i wont say his name but hes wrote afew books and i took him to a abandoned walmart i had found inside a plaza. we got on the roof and then got into other stores. there is also a episode on viceland tv where you can see my name in graffiti at one of our local spots

ive went into alot of places, alot of abandoned hotels. i went into a water plant with my dad and 2 other graffiti artists randomly showed up and my dad pretended to be the police and shook them up before he busted up laughing and i came out from the other room and we introduced ourselves to them and hung out with them for a hour or 2. 

the majority of these places i went alone. i have extreme anxiety so its a severe rush and also a heart attack at the same time

see in the ghetto you dont have to worry about police much, but you have to worry about being robbed. one time i was in the building where they filmed a scene from avengers, and some guys came in and started tearing a wall down looking for pipes. we scared the heck out of each other. one time i was confronted by a gang and they started pelting me with rocks but i talked my way out of it by painting a symbol for their gang on the wall and telling them id make a even better logo for them. i kept my word and did and was confronted by the same gang and held at gunpoint by a different member and the other members recognized me and told him to let me go. in the suburbs the more nice areas you dont have to worry about gangs and bums so much, but you do have to worry about nosey drivers calling the police

ive went into abandoned churches and  found a dead dog and a coffin.  a few years ago dayton ohio got hit by  massive tornado near 4th of july. i decided to go on a road trip and went there and walked around for a week taking pics and videos. it was nuts. i was just walking in and out of houses that were half gone. 

still now if i see a abandoned house i check it out and take pics, if theres a open door i go in. if everything is sealed i dont break anything and leave. the past 3 yrs i moved into a more country area. first thing i saw out of town was a enormous building. i went in and explored it and found old chopped up cars, corvettes and etc. i found a half built church after that. and a few other places.

right  before covid hit i was driving through PA and made a pitstop to centralia. the place people call silent hill. by then there was almost no houses left. it really was whack to be honest. i walked the freeway and did some graffiti. the freeway is now covered in dirt a few months after my visit there. i met some people from switzerland who were on vacation there who were real nice.

generally alot of these places i do recon on first. i found a enormous tractor supply junkyard last year on a main road also. generally like i was saying i try to do recon on how long i think itll take for police to come, if i think theyll come. sometimes im in and out in 15 minutes and grab a few pics then maybe come back. other times i drive past the place and determine when a good time to  sneak in is. sometimes i think the risk is to high and just pass. its easier having a friend with you, you have less fear and more fun. but also having someone with you you dont realize how loud you are and attract unwanted attention

This is the best thing that I could have ever woken up to. I agree that having friends with you makes it easier but as someone who doesn't have friends anymore, I usually explore alone. Thanks for the post it was delightful to read.  

8 hours ago, chriee said:

I do that in video games so I can avoid being afflicted by real life tetanus, rabies, stabbings, gunshots and/or forgotten in an oubliette.

Into the Radius would probably be the best game in my opinion to go explore abandoned places.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

Yes, I wanna visit abandoned places at some place. And see if there is some Ghosts (Djinns) living in there.

• Like 2

As a kid, I had a thing of exploring building sites and forests/woods. Me and my friends used to always go into the nearby forests and play in building sites, as an adult I can understand the appeal of the forest, it used to make me feel like Harry potter going into the Forbidden forest as a kid,  but not the building site. 

In video games I always explore everything to the point that my story progress is very slow. I just have to explore the entire map and do all the quests available first

• Like 2

I've been to Prypiat before, seeing all of the abandoned buildings there several years ago was quite fascinating. It had to be done with a tour guide for rather obvious and important reasons of course. Going there was quite amazing, seeing relics of the Cold War era. What was interesting was that a few parts of the abandoned town that once housed 50,000 people were brand new at the time of the evacuation and had yet to be used. Now they too are also abandoned and decaying husks of an era long since passed. Hopefully one day it'll be possible once again for those who are interested to take a look, it's worth seeing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Colin_Raleigh said:

I've been to Prypiat before, seeing all of the abandoned buildings there several years ago was quite fascinating. It had to be done with a tour guide for rather obvious and important reasons of course. Going there was quite amazing, seeing relics of the Cold War era. What was interesting was that a few parts of the abandoned town that once housed 50,000 people were brand new at the time of the evacuation and had yet to be used. Now they too are also abandoned and decaying husks of an era long since passed. Hopefully one day it'll be possible once again for those who are interested to take a look, it's worth seeing.

When you mentioned the 50k people evac are you mentioning the Chernobyl incident? It's cool that you've been to Prypiat I've been wanting to go there for a while.

(unrelated but the 5ok people evac mention reminded me of that one CoD 4 mission "50,000 people used to live here now it's a ghost town")

I would love to explore abandoned places, but not by myself, and since I don't know anyone with the same interests, I rather play videogames or watch youtubers than entering an abandoned house alone and find some drunk hobo chasing me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swiftlyanerd said:

Yeah! I love exploring pretty much anything and everything. Curiosity gets the best of me I'm afraid.

Your pfp is a cat so it kinda fits. It's good to be curious sometimes and it's good to explore because who knows what you can find?

8 hours ago, x49ersblitzkreig said:

When you mentioned the 50k people evac are you mentioning the Chernobyl incident? It's cool that you've been to Prypiat I've been wanting to go there for a while.

(unrelated but the 5ok people evac mention reminded me of that one CoD 4 mission "50,000 people used to live here now it's a ghost town")

Yeah, that's the place that got evacuated because of what happened at Chernobyl back in the 1980s. Between seeing relics of the Cold War and nature gradually reclaiming the area, it's a fascinating place to visit. Crazy that due to the radiation, it'll take around 3000 years for the worst effected areas to return to normal. Big reason why a tour guide is a necessity, they always have a Giger counter handy to avoid the heavily radiated areas.

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 7:24 AM, x49ersblitzkreig said:

This is the best thing that I could have ever woken up to. I agree that having friends with you makes it easier but as someone who doesn't have friends anymore, I usually explore alone. Thanks for the post it was delightful to read.  

Into the Radius would probably be the best game in my opinion to go explore abandoned places.

thanks man, i got tons of pics and videos of all sorts of stuff and stories for every place i went to. this is one of my favorite trains i did years ago, its been spotted all around america from arizona and california over to the east coast. i havent seen anyone take any pics of it latey though. i  mixed a bunch of different black paints together and it made this rubbery black paint. i carried a duffle bag in the pure dark down a few miles of really rocky train tracks. i had saw these trains sitting there for a few weeks driving past them on the way to work and so i went and parked at around 2 or 3 am. hiked down far carrying a heavy HEAVY bookbag of supplies.  painted and left. the next few days my feet hurt so bad from all the weight and walking on the gravel i couldnt walk. but it was one of those things like you said you just have  this urge to go to some place and cant get rid of it until you do. i'll tell you some weird story one time i was painting a train in the pitch dark and i heard a plastic bag and there was a woman only a few feet away from me. it scared the  living shit out of me. i  said hi to her and she just walked right past me with some plastic  grocery bag. but i know damn well no stores were open that  late and no gas  stations were nearby. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, melodicmizery said:

thanks man, i got tons of pics and videos of all sorts of stuff and stories for every place i went to. this is one of my favorite trains i did years ago, its been spotted all around america from arizona and california over to the east coast. i havent seen anyone take any pics of it latey though. i  mixed a bunch of different black paints together and it made this rubbery black paint. i carried a duffle bag in the pure dark down a few miles of really rocky train tracks. i had saw these trains sitting there for a few weeks driving past them on the way to work and so i went and parked at around 2 or 3 am. hiked down far carrying a heavy HEAVY bookbag of supplies.  painted and left. the next few days my feet hurt so bad from all the weight and walking on the gravel i couldnt walk. but it was one of those things like you said you just have  this urge to go to some place and cant get rid of it until you do. i'll tell you some weird story one time i was painting a train in the pitch dark and i heard a plastic bag and there was a woman only a few feet away from me. it scared the  living shit out of me. i  said hi to her and she just walked right past me with some plastic  grocery bag. but i know damn well no stores were open that  late and no gas  stations were nearby. 

The artwork looks amazing. I've been trying to get into graffiti but I don't have the equipment to do any. 

The woman that you mentioned was probably homeless and carrying her belongings that she managed to gather in that plastic bag.

• Like 1

I've always wanted to, but I have no one to do it with! 

Actually, a few friends and I in high school explored an abandoned asylum.. but they were renovating most of it so it wasn't exactly abandoned. Mini-golf or a waterpark has always been on my list though.

• Like 1