1.0.1 Patch

Vanqishd

This should make the Completionist++ much easier, making more kinds of jokers and strategies viable for completing gold stake. Hopefully it doesn't make it too easy. I like a good challenge, but orange and gold stakes felt like I could make decent decisions and still fall short. 

The legendary joker change would be great given that im 149/150 atm with Perkeo remaining. I certainly prefer to get it sooner than the patch will launch though.

Responses on reddit does seem to indicate that gold stake is easier in the branch so thats good. Not a fan of the nerfs but tis what it is.

The patch is going to make the plat trivial compared to how it is now. Which is honestly a good thing, I'm ~170 hours in and still only ~1000/1200 jokers done with all legendaries done but most left are complete passenger jokers (ie useless or have to hope for them to show up in first shop to hex) and some perishables (fucking banana has died on me 3 times in the final hand).

The economy changes alone in gold stake without any of frankly some of the OP changes coming are enough. Let alone having a joker pack in every starting shop and the chip changes being huge (free rare/uncommon etc)

Its a good thing, there was no skill to getting the plat before it was just pure RNG and determination. So many runs never get off the ground if nothing useful shows up in the first + second shops and there are still some that fail by ante 4 or 5 due to dogshit shops offering either no mult or no x mult (lots of runs with one or the other).

Completely broken jokers like Vampire and Stuntman were never going to escape a nerf either of them were basically instant win cards. Very surprised burnt joker escaped one as that also basically guarantees a gold stake win unless you get the purple final boss (big blind - kills so many runs).

Swashbuckler is going to be insane if you get a present box (whatever its called - the one that increases sell value of all jokers each turn) probably the best scaling joker post patch. Bonus points for hexing an egg in the first few rounds.

If the game wasn't amazing I doubt I'd still be playing this far in - its extremely rare for me to play a single player game this long, especially on console.

There will be a flood of plats after this patch goes live on console and the only difficult thing remaining will be the jokerless challenge which once again is entirely RNG

I'm going to try and smash this out pre patch as I'm only a short part away (maybe 10-15 wins total left to go - which is maybe 4-6 hours with a bit of luck). 

Definitely post patch the game should honestly take no longer than 40 hours to plat instead of the 100-250 it currently is due to insane RNG.

The changes are 100% amazing changes and nothing to complain about. Gold is not fun for 99% of people as it currently sits, shit most casuals on reddit seem to struggle after purple let alone orange. 

Platinums are an afterthought, this is my GOTY so far (maybe the Suikoden successor can beat it for me) so fun should be prioritised over trophies.

Edited by MrPringles23
Addition
  • Like 2

Huge buff, but I don’t expect the console version to receive the patch any soon, especially given the fact it’s the testing PC build yet.

While I focused on legendary jokers hunting first and currently sitting on 4/5 gold stickered, I may want to tackle the remaining non-legendary for now.

3 minutes ago, VoidVictorious said:

It is prompting me to upgrade so I want to make sure I don’t screw myself by patching from 1.02.

Well, at the very least the devs haven't said it is and haven't seen anything about it on any gaming sites. I also checked their social media channels and saw nothing.

Edited by MidnightDragon

I actually like how difficult this game is so I hope it doesn't make things too trivial. That being said I think most of the balance changes they've done so far have been very good so I trust them to make things better for everyone. The only thing I take issue with is being 149/150 jokers and never getting the last legendary I need, which is being changed this patch. I also think making the legendary jokers work like that on gold is a great change to avoid the same maddening rng for completionist++.

EDIT: I'm surprised they're buffing Burnt Joker to Uncommon, Invisible Joker to 2 rounds and 8 dollars, and Heartstone to 1/2. I take all three of those almost every time they come up (unless i'm not running hearts) and even though invisible joker is hard to pull off, duplicating a joker is extremely powerful (as noted by the spectral that does it deleting every other joker you own)

Edited by Kermamrek

On 4/9/2024 at 9:36 AM, foxische said:

Huge buff, but I don’t expect the console version to receive the patch any soon, especially given the fact it’s the testing PC build yet.

While I focused on legendary jokers hunting first and currently sitting on 4/5 gold stickered, I may want to tackle the remaining non-legendary for now.

Oof. I did something similar where I went for all the most difficult decks first for gold stake. Tough out here.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

Should I upgrade from 1.02 to the current update or leave it unpatched. I’m not sure if anything was easier pre patch.

The patch with big changes is not out yet. The current patch has minor fixes and buffs (mostly) compared to the version you're at. I think it might be the one where they also introduced multiple languages.

14 hours ago, Vanqishd said:

The patch with big changes is not out yet. The current patch has minor fixes and buffs (mostly) compared to the version you're at. I think it might be the one where they also introduced multiple languages.

So it’s definitely worth upgrading?

3 hours ago, VoidVictorious said:

So it’s definitely worth upgrading?

Nothing is really changed so you are safe.

In general the next big patch should make everything easier, don't think there is a benefit staying on the old patch once it will be out

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, since the initial 1.0.1 experimental patch came out, another version (1.0.1e) is out. Apparently this will be the version pushed to production unless something else changes. 

Biggest things I see is that the ante requirements for 3-8 actually increase from pre-patch compared to the initial 1.0.1 which decreased the chips needed. Base chips for purple stakes ante 8 was 180k and is now 200k. So now Violet Vessel boss will be 1,200,000 instead of 1,080,000...

This combined with other scaling cards being nerfed (Runner, Square Joker, Wee Joker, etc now start at 0 chips instead of 20, 16, etc but scale very slightly faster) and huge nerfs to things like Vampire, Banana, and other powerful cards doesn't make this patch as much of a Slam dunk in terms of making things a lot easier. It all comes down to how the Perishable and Rental stickers are compared to the previous Orange and Gold stake requirements.

Here's the new patch notes: https://balatrogame.fandom.com/wiki/Update_1.0.1e

5 hours ago, nhindian said:

FYI, since the initial 1.0.1 experimental patch came out, another version (1.0.1e) is out. Apparently this will be the version pushed to production unless something else changes. 

Biggest things I see is that the ante requirements for 3-8 actually increase from pre-patch compared to the initial 1.0.1 which decreased the chips needed. Base chips for purple stakes ante 8 was 180k and is now 200k. So now Violet Vessel boss will be 1,200,000 instead of 1,080,000...

This combined with other scaling cards being nerfed (Runner, Square Joker, Wee Joker, etc now start at 0 chips instead of 20, 16, etc but scale very slightly faster) and huge nerfs to things like Vampire, Banana, and other powerful cards doesn't make this patch as much of a Slam dunk in terms of making things a lot easier. It all comes down to how the Perishable and Rental stickers are compared to the previous Orange and Gold stake requirements.

Here's the new patch notes: https://balatrogame.fandom.com/wiki/Update_1.0.1e

It's barely a buff, and early antes are still nerfed in points, so it'll be easier to get runs going. Considering now that whenever you pick a tag with jokers (Rare, Uncommon, Negative, Polychrome, etc.) they'll be free + packs no longer increase in price, I still think overall it will increase the % of successful runs across the board. I guess we'll see when the patch lands.

Having just finished everything, my opinion is that the update will make things harder than they currently are. The increase in chips for blinds (10% up), paired with the chance of the joker you need having a perishable/ rental sticker sounds rough. Now, the removal of booster costs increasing sounds great so that might offset it somewhat, but I like the consistency of getting a good joker and keeping it there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, N1NJ4_V4MP1R3 said:

Having just finished everything, my opinion is that the update will make things harder than they currently are. The increase in chips for blinds (10% up), paired with the chance of the joker you need having a perishable/ rental sticker sounds rough. Now, the removal of booster costs increasing sounds great so that might offset it somewhat, but I like the consistency of getting a good joker and keeping it there. 

Yeah I've been watching Balatro University off and on with the new patch and there are many times there's a Joker he wants/needs but instantly passes because of the new stickers. One of the patch notes in the 1.0.1e release says the frequency was "fixed" so maybe they won't appear as often, but they seemed to pop up very often, even in Buffoon packs. I think Perishable just debuffs the Joker instead of removes it like when Popcorn/Ice cream/ etc are finished, so maybe you can still get a Gold sticker for finishing with a perished Joker, of course it'll be completely useless in beating the antes. 

Just wanted to mention that the final version we get will not be what the first experimental patch looked like (which did on its face seem to make things quite a bit easier). 

Also, when Balatro Uni was reading the new patch notes, he gave the impression he was helping the dev with balancing, and he said those increased chip Antes could/should go even higher than the +10% that 1.0.1e has. 

On 5/2/2024 at 4:06 AM, MidnightDragon said:

The patch came out on Steam earlier today, so assuming it'll come to PS in the near future.

I admire that level of ignorant optimism, considering this is patch 1.0.1f and we're still sat way back at 1.0.0o putting us at least 6 patches behind this one. And we only just got to that level the same day this patch landed on Steam as a BETA. The equivalent PC version was publicly available well over a month before we even got remotely close to it. Expecting parity with PC releases is foolish considering the dev can do those on his own whenever its done, but for consoles it has to go through extra stuff before it can be applied and the current rate implies we should expect to be caught up to the current state on PC around about this time next year. Maybe.