Capcom Possibly up for sale.

DarknessKey92

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/219300/Capcom_shareholders_open_company_up_to_takeover_possibility.php

Today, Capcom announced that at its most recent investor meeting, its shareholders voted to end the company's takeover defense -- which means that Capcom could now be acquired if a company buys up large amounts of its stock.

Here's the result of the Meeting

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140616a.html

Result of voting

The takeover defense proposal was not approved because this proposal did not receive majority of voting rights as required.

This means Capcom is currently up for grabs if a person/company buys off a majority of the shares.

Some want Nintendo to buy Capcom...but who knows Some even say Microsoft could buy it off. What are your thoughts? I was a bit surprised to hear this.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/219300/Capcom_shareholders_open_company_up_to_takeover_possibility.php

Here's the result of the Meeting

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/news/html/e140616a.html

This means Capcom is currently up for grabs if a person/company buys off a majority of the shares.

Some want Nintendo to buy Capcom...but who knows Some even say Microsoft could buy it off. What are your thoughts? I was a bit surprised to hear this.

It could end up being bad for capcom in the long run. If Nintendo buys them, like any of the two console makers it will spell trouble for the fanbase. 

Not surprising, considering how bad they've been doing financially and they thought the best method going forward was.. 'more DLC' -_-

God they were doomed from that point, honestly I hope they just dissolve and their assets get sold off (like THQ;s)

so then at least good licenses go to publishers that actually want to do something with them, i.e Mega man. 

But that doesn't seem like the deal here,

either way I hope that who ever or what ever buys it,

does something with the licenses, capcom have soo many great licenses, street fighter, resident evil and mega man to name a few.

I'd love to see those licenses get some great funding behind them. 

I hope Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony stay out of this, I don't want the capcom licenses to become console exclusives.

Edited by geogw

Not surprising, considering how bad they've been doing financially and they thought the best method going forward was.. 'more DLC' -_-

God they were doomed from that point, honestly I hope they just dissolve and their assets get sold off (like THQ;s)

so then at least good licenses go to publishers that actually want to do something with them, i.e Mega man. 

But that doesn't seem like the deal here,

either way I hope that who ever or what ever buys it,

does something with the licenses, capcom have soo many great licenses, street fighter, resident evil and mega man to name a few.

I'd love to see those licenses get some great funding behind them. 

I hope Nintendo, Microsoft and Sony stay out of this, I don't want the capcom licenses to become console exclusives.

Is it just me or does the centralised text make it really hard to read? :P

Anyways, if any of the big three acquired them it'd be a major coup for them. Capcom have some of the biggest franchises out there, though they've run some of them into the ground, *cough Resident Evil cough*, with a bit of polishing they'd be huge exclusives. 

Edited by NIALLERMANBUZ

I would hate for Microsoft to buy them, they would probably force them to make Kinect games.

Nintendo could buy them, but I would hate to buy a new console just for Resident Evil, Street Fighter, and Dragon's Dogma.

I could see someone like Namco or Sega buying them, which would be the best option.

It would be great if they sold assets, if they did i would want megaman ti be bought by Nintendo, and RE bought by sony

Hoping Sony obtains Capcom so that they can do a complete 180 with Dead Rising and make it a Playstation exclusive game :D

Hoping Sony obtains Capcom so that they can do a complete 180 with Dead Rising and make it a Playstation exclusive game :D

or sony could do a 360 and still make it for the xbox, just as a curveball.

• 1 month later...

I don't think they're ready to sell off assets yet, but if the deal is sweet enough...

There are additional legal barriers for foreign companies to buy Japanese companies, so Microsoft is likely out. My money would be on Nintendo if Nintendo is still fighting to be a console company. Resident Evil and Monster Hunter have had some great iterations on Wii and Wii U. Capcom's tried some new franchises with SONY, like Dragon's Dogma, but they don't seem as close to Capcom as Nintendo. Either way I can't think of a single Capcom franchise that wouldn't be better out of Capcom's hands.

I with everyone else, Nintendo is probably gonna buy them.  They make Monster Hunter which is a big game on Nintendo's systems, I don't think Nintendo will want to lose that series.  If any of their IPs are going to separate developers though, it'll be awesome if Platinum Games can buy all their own games back xD