How do YOU decide whether to buy a game or not?

Pyro

The following represents Day One purchases.

I usually see some gameplay and from usually 1 or 2 videos I can tell if I will enjoy the game.

But if it looks short, not worth the full $85 retail price and doesn't scream to me DAY ONE ill wait for a price drop [for example, lego games].

Theres also the franchises that are usually a must buy, unless the next installment looks... SHIT.

EDIT: FluffyAssassins post is basically a well written and detailed on how i follow games and if I should purchase them or not :P

Edited by STRANGEgenius

I just buy the game types I like. play it, plat it (75% of the time lol ) then sell it for a marginal loss (I have not lost more than $10 au so far on the ps4 total and iv played 10 games plus!!) I ignore hype (gta and last of us, not my cup of tea) and must play as I know what I like. I also wait for price drops if I have lots to play which is often thanks to psn plus.

The media hype rarely works with me. The game theme, the story, the main character or something has to convince me before I decide to buy it. I used to spend hard on games but since I've been a PS Plus member I've cut down my game budget. I've also been trying to lift my criteria higher lately.

Generally, I'll buy anything that doesn't fit into genres I don't want. You'll never catch me dead with a dancing game. I'm too fat for skills.

Some sports games I also don't buy, Madden for example. It doesn't have a grand following here like a rugby league game probably would.

I don't pay attention to reviews. Apart from being biased by a person who either underrates or overrates based on their own preferences, it's also not my own opinion. If I could, id personally shred all the Warriors scores and rewrite them.

If I've got a video of a game, that's usually more than enough. I don't take much to convince.

• Like 1

Gameplay is the 'make it or break it' factor for me, I can spare a bad storyline, poor graphics or sound, and even uncharismatic characters if the gameplay is good. Now, if the gameplay is not good (or does not look good to me), then I just don't buy the game.

Of course, this method is not quite efficient, because sometimes gameplay looks better (or worse) than it feels, but I like that risk factor lol

So far I've enjoyed most of what I've purchased, and PS+ has helped me get surprised with titles which I would've never thought about buying being totally awesome :D

It entirely depends on the game. Some games, I'm sold just from a trailer, like Bayonetta 2 or the new Zelda, but others require extensive research. Which includes watching gameplay videos, reading reviews, asking people who have played it what they think, and sometimes looking at the trophy set. If it requires too much work though, I don't buy it until it goes on sale or gets a price drop. The only games I buy at launch are the few that I'm sold on immediately, because I'm never disappointed by those. If I'm even the slightest bit skeptical, I just throw it into a list of games I might get someday, and just keep my eye out for a sale.

For me, it's mostly word-of-mouth. I rarely, if ever, buy games right when they come out. By the time I get around to actually purchasing something, it's been out long enough that I have a feel for if it's going to be worth the money or not. I keep my eye on interesting games, and reviews, "buzz," trailers, and discounts all tip the scales one way or the other. Also, the length of a game is important--I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that I'll only play for a week or so. If a game is in a series I like, though, I'll usually buy it regardless if a particular sequel is getting good reviews or not.

To be honest, if a trailer is good enough, I will buy a game; hence for the past couple of years ubisoft has been easily scamming me of a lot of money;

Besides that, if the games something i've been looking forward to for awhile I usually get it, this is only the case when i've seen previous examples of the game, or its part of a series.

If it's something new, I pretty much follow the same steps that you do.

I'll read or watch a review (generally OPM UK and IGN for vids). If I'm still unsure I'll watch some youtube vids on gameplay or I'll check out the trophy guides and forums to try to get a feel for it. I'm terrible with money so if a game has a bit of my interest and doesn't get slated in reviews I'll prob still end up getting it

I watch and read reviews. Then if i like what i see then probably buy it straight away. If its something that looks good but not sure to buy it or not. I wait a few months for a price drop and then buy it .

I'm pretty much the same way.  I could rent but I just prefer to have it and take my chances.

A little bit of everything really.

• If it's a franchise I've already bought into and enjoyed I'm more likely to just grab the game day one.
  • There are a couple of reviewers I trust to give reviews that I can believe, I prefer people who don't give a game a 'score', would prefer a decent write up.  Videos before hand are a plus.  Yahtzee for example makes the reviews entertaining and picks up on the things in games than generally annoy me.
  • Word of mouth from friends has sold me on a couple of games.
  • PS plus, tag everything and try something new form the backlog every now and then.  I never would have really got into infamous, uncharted, Spec Ops: The Line without that service.
  • It's a lego game, I've had hours and hours of fun playing these co-op with my wife and they seem to only be getting better.  Looking forward to Lego: Batman 3 + Lego Hobbit 2.