How do YOU decide whether to buy a game or not?

Pyro

Wasn't too sure on where to make this thread or if this type of topic had already been discussed

Next-gen gaming can be expensive when it comes to the all the gear we tend to buy from likes of the actual console,

accessories, and more often the games we want. United Kingdom's standard edition PlayStation 4 games has a average

retail price of  £42.00 pounds so saying I've made a list of what games I would like this year, it comes close to around £220.00

(about 5 PS4 games).  <_<

My point is how you come to the decision to invest £40 odd pounds on a game that you may or may not haven't experienced

yourself. The new generation games have stand out trailers far superior to the actual game which I feel can be slightly misleading

if you don't pay attention to the difference between the rendered graphics and actual game-play footage. I know loads of people who

do this and can be frustrating to explain to them that don't expect anything on par with these graphics because of game trailers.

(I know graphics aren't what make a good game, but people's expectations because of what they've seen is what they expect)

I didn't think much of this when I was young, I would rely heavily on Christmas. my birthday, and pocket money from my parents. :eyebrow:

Now that I've grown up have a job I have noticed that I like to thoroughly :hmm: dig my way to all the pros and cons and have a good picture

of what the game is about and is it worth investing in.

For example...

• Demo's: Great way to get a feel on what you're thinking about buying, but limited to what you can do on the game.
  • YouTube: Inside look of the actual game-play whilst hearing the uploaders review. Some can be very bias to the game.
  • Various social sites: Reading the pros and cons also what and what not to expect of a pacific game.
  • Full game trials: Probably my favorite of them all, but hard to come by. A full version of the game for a limited time only.                                                                                I don't see much of these, but if you were to invest money on a game then it would be nice if publishers did a lot more of these.

It might sound excessive on what I do before buying a game, but as soon as I purchase a game £40+, open the wrapper, and turns out

to be really bad. I cannot get my full money back only a trade-in which is most likely half the price where I live. So how do you come around

buying something you want?  :rolleyes:

I usually check to see various prices from different retailers and look what games are cheap and if they are on sale or not, usually when I buy a game it will be because it's on sale. I try not to make assumptions over graphics and look instead to what the game is trying to give to the player and if I think it will be good enough for me to play. Sometimes this can be based off of what I've seen from this particular genre/series/developer and then judge whether it might be my kind of style after looking at the information on it or what I have previously seen or heard about it.

I usually check the reviews which for well known AAA titles comes out in the days before or on the day of launch. However it is also based upon my previous experience with games in the series. For example buying a BioShock or Grand Theft Auto title on launch day would be a no brainier for me because I have loved every game to date in the series.

Firstly, I think about whether it's the kind of game to get DLC later down the line. If it is, I generally avoid it and wait for a GOTY. If a GOTY never releases, I don't get it unless I really want it.

Secondly, if I decide it isn't the kind of game to get DLC, I check a gameplay trailer. If it looks fun, that's enough for me.

I'll generally watch video reviews on IGN or YouTube to see what the gameplay looks like and if it looks fun I'll make a purchase. If the game has a demo I'll play that as well but unfortunately it seems like most games don't have demos in this day and age. 

Parker

• Like 1

I light strong herbal candles and go into a deep, meditative trance. Whilst in the throes of my hallucinatory peregrination, I reflect on the big mysteries of life: "Why are we here?" "What is our purpose?" "Whence forth comes suffering?"... Sometimes, the purple ocelots will aid me in my discussions - wittily throwing repartee and cunning observation into the arguments and flummoxing my considerations of the magisterium tremendum. But usually they are content to just sit on the periphery of the circle, silently staring whilst I dance through my musings for their delectation.

I usually wake up a few hours later, vomit encrusting my face where I have fallen into my own regurgitations. Groggily, I will rub my eyes and a name will come to me, whispered softly as if from a memory of a time and of a place and friends long since forgotten to my conscious self. It is the voice of the angels; drowned out by the monotone hum of mortal existence, and sweet and fleeting as the first scent of Spring or the taste of a lovers' kiss...

".... Watch_Dogs...." it will quietly say, or sometimes ".... Infamous: Second Son....". It depends on what is coming out soon.

Obediently, I then trudge to my computer and pre-order the game of which the whisper spake. 

2deep4me 

If my sister says a certain game is good, then I'll go buy it. But if I'm choosing a game, then I listen to what other people has to say about the game along with various kinds of reviewers. Then I check gameplay videos to see what is the game is like. I have to be careful not to get myself caught in the hype that clouds my judgement whatever a game is a good or not although I'll ride the hype train for the lulz. 

Since this is a PS4 topic, here are the only reasons I've currently picked a PS4 game for:

• it was free (The Playroom, Sound Shapes, PS Plus games)
  • it only cost 10 euros (Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag upgrade from PS3 to PS4 version)
  • it looked fun (Contrast)
  • it was a new inFamous game (inFamous Second Son)
  • I wanted to play a detective/mystery game on PS4 (Murdered: Soul Suspect)

In general, I want a fun game, usually one I've followed up on online before release. A good story premise is also something I like to look for (though looking at my list that's clearly not always important :P). Sometimes though, I just want some easy trophies which has led me to play some games I would have otherwise ignored entirely and I'm really glad for that ^^ I do also consider the price if I'm picking some games I've ignored for a long time in hopes of a much lower price.

Some things I don't base game purchases on:

• reviews (although I do watch some of Angry Joe's reviews for games I've already played)
  • how pretty or modern the graphics are (one of the least important factors for me personally)
  • internet hype
  • "must play" status (Uncharted, The Last of Us, Grand Theft Auto, etc)
  • "worst/best game ever"-like statements even if coming from fellow gamers
  • Like 1

I just buy the games that I want. I hardly ever get so much dissappointed that I would feel it wasnt worth my money. The games I really want I get on release dates and the others that get my attention later I pick used or from sales. I buy shitload of games and I dont really think about it, I dont suggest anyone taking my style tho because I'm wreckless with my money xD

Oh and heres a nice motto: Just buy the game, it's only away from something else ^^

Edited by LovesAnInjection

For me (aside from watching gameplays and all that stuff), I always pay attention to who's developing a game.

For example, a Ubisoft game is always a Ubisoft game, I know exactly what to expect, so I borrow every Ubi game from a friend because to me, their games are not 60$ worthy. I haven't played Watch Dogs but I kinda know how it's going to play, so I'll avoid buying it.

I liked every game Bethesda and Naughty Dog ever made so I buy their games without question.

New IPs/Franchises I never tried are tough, but again I always trust my instincts on what to buy and what to borrow and my instincts never disappointed me so far :P

I tend to buy into the hype. At least that's what I did with Watch_Dogs. Thoroughly enjoying it. 

Mind you Watch_Dogs is the only game I've purchased since I got my PS4. I got a variety of games at the time of purchase and that's it. The rest have been PS+ or things my wife or daughter liked the look of. Hence Lego and Skylanders topping my most played list!

I watch alot of preview gameplay vids and previews on upcoming games. Very interested in the new Batman game! But time will tell on that one.

The things I looked out for are:  

• Gameplay: If I don't like it, I don't buy it, no matter what the reviews say.
  • Reviews: After watching gameplay and if I liked it, I see the reviews on Metacritic and AngryJoe.
  • Day 1: I only buy Day 1 Digital when it only has positive reviews.
  • Pre-Order: I never pre-order a game until the reviews are out, the only game that I pre-order was The Last of Us: Remastered

Most of the times I don't wait for a price drop unless the game becomes extremely expensive for example: Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes.

I follow the gaming news every day (primarily through IGN and GameInformer magazine) and so am aware of practically every single new game known to man. Hence I'm inundated with games craving for my hard-earned cash at every turn.

There are a few factors for me when it comes to buying a new game:

• It has to look INTERESTING to me personally (either an intriguing gameplay feature/mechanic, spectacular graphics, beautiful style, interesting-looking characters or story). If it fits this bill, I'll pretty much always pick it up eventually (but I might wait until it's a bit cheaper; often about the $40 mark).
  • If it's a new game in an existing franchise (or from a particular developer) I know and love, I'll absolutely pick it up as soon as possible (The Last of Us, Bioshock Infinite, etc.)
  • Read news and previews about the game and see if I think it's just a gimmick or not (i.e. Murdered Soul Suspect was like this)
  • Watch/read reviews and see if it still looks like a game I'd love to play (or does it look/sound drab and boring). THEN I consider the score it received (not a make-or-break factor, but obviously still a good indication of what people think of it).
  • I STAY AWAY FROM EVERY GENERIC SHOOTER OR ME-TOO GAME. This is a bit one for me; similar to all the new bombastic action movies, I'll pass on most that just look samey.
  • If it's free with PS+, I'll definitely pick it up and try it; practically regardless of the game :P I've enjoyed a lot of recent games because of this attitude (Contrast, Outlast, Resogun, etc.)
  • Like 2

Things I do to help me decide on picking up a game are

- Look at the score it receives at IGN, plus the pros and cons.

- Look at user feedback.

- Play the demo if it has one. (I rarely do this though)

- Watch the reveal trailer to see if it's something I'd be interested in.

Most of the time I just watch the reveal trailer and if I like what the game is suppose to offer, I'll pick it up. If it's a game from a series I like, I'll pick it up regardless. I've only bought a few games I disliked so I seem to be making the right choices . (thankfully)

• Like 1

Usually look at gameplay videos of a game to see what it is like and see if it is something I like. That is really about it and this has worked well for me. If a game is developed by NISA I will buy that game no matter what because they havent let me down before. Also if a game is from a favorite series of mine I'll buy it regardless.

Things I do to help me decide on picking up a game are

- Look at the score it receives at IGN, plus the pros and cons.
- Look at user feedback.
- Play the demo if it has one. (I rarely do this though)
- Watch the reveal trailer to see if it's something I'd be interested in.

Most of the time I just watch the reveal trailer and if I like what the game is suppose to offer, I'll pick it up. If it's a game from a series I like, I'll pick it up regardless. I've only bought a few games I disliked so I seem to be making the right choices . (thankfully)

dood liking the Reimi avatar and Star Ocean signature

• Like 1

I never look at review scores to decide whether I buy or not - videogame journalism is largely broken at the moment anyway. My main approach is:

- If the game is largely unknown and a new IP i'll research what it is about (gameplay, story concept) and buy based on that

- If the game is part of a franchise that has proven itself to be great for me in past installments - instant buy.

For example:

- Murdered:Soul Suspect was unknown to me, I researched the gameplay and story and got interested. I really enjoyed it. If I had depended on metacritic - it would have passed me by

- Assassin's Creed Unity is part of one of my favourite franchises - I don't need to see gameplay as I know what to expect - pre-ordered right away.

Edited by Captain_Cutscene
  • Like 1