Retail vs. Download

CommanderClif

i prefer retail just for the simple reason of it being cheaper 99% of the time, which shouldn't be the case in an ideal world. I'm still hopeful for the day that Sony stops fearing retail and makes psn have competitive sales like Steam.

I go retail if available every time as I like to actually have something physical for the money I paid and it is usually the same if not cheaper to buy physically anyway (unless there's a sale).

This goes beyond gaming, I buy CDs where possible and Blu-rays / DVDs too as I like to look at the artwork and have a collection I can admire.

• Like 1

I generally prefer retail, it's usually cheaper.  PSN sales have actually been pretty decent recently though and I've grabbed a few choice games.

That and a couple of years worth of PS+ games means i have a decent digital backlog as well.

Due to my potato powered internet speed its pointless in me buying large games (Like Battlefield and Watch Dogs) digitally because it would take almost a day to download, that being said I only have four disc based games for my PS4, I have another 7 or 8 smaller digital ones that I got from PSplus and some pieces of DLC, most of them are small in size so i don't mind downloading.....

Unlike my experience during the PS3 gen, where almost every game I owned was disc based. This gen i'm probably gonna end up having a lot of smaller digital games while the only disc based games I get will be the extremely large ones.......battlfield 4 with its current amount of DLC is 50GB O.o

I actually prefer buying digital copies of games.  I am not sure it would work on the ps4, but at least on my ps3 I can buy the game, and then install it on both of my ps3's so that my fiance and I can play co-op together.  That being said, there are some games that I want to own the physical disc, because I like to collect them.  The main example of those would be the FF series.  The other thing about digital games I like, that CommanderClif has already mentioned is the ability to change games without changing discs.  To take that one step further, I can also change tv's without needing to change discs because it would be installed on both of my ps3's (just download the save from the cloud).

• Like 1

The main problem with digital, is that you never know how long you'll have it. It could suddenly get delisted and whoever made the game could decided that you can no longer download it. So, if it gets deleted or you buy a new PS4, you now don't have that game. Also, while it's obviously a long way off, once PSN support gets dropped for the PS4, you won't be able to redownload those games. So, in like 20 years, if you want to play Second Son, but you got the digital version and suddenly it's corrupted, you won't have the game anymore.

Personally, I only get digital games that are good deals, and are games I know I'll only play once. If it's a game I'm really excited for or if it's a game from a series I'm a fan of, I'll buy the physical copy. Since I may want to show it to my kids or even grand kids one day.

I prefer hard copy because I will sell a title after I finish the game.  I got $30 back for Ghosts just last week, not bad for a game that is near end of life.  The only way I would go digital is if they were less expensive by at least $20.  Plus I'm supporting my local retailer.

I know we are gamers and stereotypically lazy but if swapping a disc makes you break into sweats well...  j/k :P

Never buy digital personally 2 reasons being...

1:. Returning a unwanted game to get some money off your next purchase 

2: Pricing. I feel digital is little more expensive than retail 

Besides that me and my friend and I both bought Watch Dogs which turned out not very good and the only reason I've still got mine is to plat it, once done I'll be trade-ing it in where-as my friend cannot.

Edited by Pyrotheseus

I'm content with digital for the most part. Only rarely have I purchased them in physical form, and I've never traded a game in or sold them. Heck, I still have my ps1 games lying around.

Edit: But I consider picking up retails again now that I have a vita.

Edited by Nikorayu

I would rather have the physical copy of the game than the digital, Im trying to stop selling my games because theres no point of selling them for less than bought

What if you never play the game again? You could have sold it for less than bought and put it towards a new game you will play.

I tend to go physical, but if there is a good sale on PSN and the game size isn't that huge (like under 3GB) I'll bite for digital.

I usually go for digital sometimes if I know it's a game I just want to play through once and then delete it while saving shelf space.