Retail vs. Download

CommanderClif

Looking at my PS4 hard drive disk space used/free I noticed that retail disc versions of games I have are taking up the same amount of space on my hard drive as the size they are listed at in the PSN store. I did a little reading online that this is due to the PS4 needing to be able to access the data faster than the blu-ray laser can read. 

When I got my PS4 I had made the decision to download digital titles that were small to medium (Ground Zeros) but buy disc versions for big games (Black Flag and InFamous) thinking that while they would download SOME of the game that was better than ALL the game. 

So, as a fence sitter about whether I should go all digital I'm starting to lean more towards why not all digital?? I understand that the retail disc I could take it to GameSteal and they will give me like $10 for it and turn it around and sell it for $54 so I'm already past selling my discs as a Pro. for sticking with retail. 

What are your thoughts??

So, as a fence sitter about whether I should go all digital I'm starting to lean more towards why not all digital?? I understand that the retail disc I could take it to GameSteal and they will give me like $10 for it and turn it around and sell it for $54 so I'm already past selling my discs as a Pro. for sticking with retail. 

What are your thoughts??

Then why not sell it online for way more? I could've sell Watch Dogs for £20 in GAME but sold it for £30 on Ebay

You can easily get more money for your used games if you sell them yourself on ebay.

A store offered me £15 for all my Sims 3 expansions and I sold them for £70 on ebay.

As for retail or digital I prefer retail because not only is it usually cheaper, you can sell the games later and I like to have them displayed on my shelf.

Occasionally there is a bargain during PSN sales but very rarely, some of the stuff on the PSN store is so old and yet still priced as a new release.

Something I failed to mention in my first post, but there is something very compelling about a digital library as well that allows you to jump in and out of games at will. Especially if you own a PS Vita and are playing for the other room. Not a lazy thing but not having to disc swap has its advantages. I understand the "why" behind it but it sticks to have the full game on the disc taking up the space but unplayable without the disc in. On my other devices like phone, tablet, laptop I don't have to insert any physical media to access content so I feel like that convenience is outweighing the benefit of being able to turn and sell. 

But all fair points about ebay or other direct sale of discs. I've loaned a few out to guys at work which wouldn't happen anymore if I go all digital. 

I prefer physical over digital, I like the cover, the special edition gamecases, and so on. 

Also, memory cards for the PS Vita are damn expensive, so a big digital collection could come at a high cost. Having some physical games helps in my opinion :)

Phisical disc. I want to own the material and replay it at anytime. Lets say there's a apocalypse . While all servers are down I can still use my generator and unpack ma collection and play ha! But seriously I can still share with a friend. And they should stop making triologies and saga collections downloadable. For example do as Mass Effect Triology or Sly Cooper, you will get all 3 games in a disc instead of voucher like Batman Asylum triology than why the heck releasing a phisical collection. I can't be the only one.

The thing about downloaded games is that they may give you the same experience as having it on the physical copy, but it takes up so much more hard disk space, at least on a PS3, though it's not so much a big deal for PS4 since you're really just getting the digital copy by getting the disc in having to install it like a program, and you just basically treat that disc as a key to access it. But if you're speaking in terms of PS3, only download it if you know you can't obtain it by means of a disc, games like inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood for example.

I only buy the games I like that are only available in digital version, like Magic: The Gathering, or when they are free to download on PS+.

I prefer buying them retail.

I mainly always buy them used when they reach 20$, but there are a few exceptions where I will either preorder or buy retail at the full price (60$).

I will let you guess which ones I cannot resist buying at release date ;-) LOL!

This conversation is pointless. 

Physical is 100% better in every way. 

I can't believe someone actually prefers digital lol, some people just love getting shafted I guess.

I rather buy a game digital wise since it helps save time and money from wasting gas mileage. B)

Amazon is a thing.

• Like 1

Anyone who somewhat values money prefers physical.

Pro's of buying digital. 

- No changing discs in between games.

- Can't brake your game and can't have it stolen.

- You have an impressive digital collection.

Cons of buying digital.

- Can't resell

- Can't lend it to friend, 

- If your console turns off incorrecty (power cut ect) you may have to reformat your system. which includes completely wiping your system,

if you have no internet connection at the time, no games for you, no re downloading anything. 

- Depending on your region you may pay more for digital then you would retail.

- You can't break your game or have it stolen because you never got one in the first place.

- No cover art or manual. 

- If you buy digital on the vita the game is locked to one account (via locked memory cards) no playing it on a second/guest account,

There's literally no argument.

The only time to go digital is when there is a great deal on the store. 

If not, you're literally just getting ripped off. 

Edited by SliceofDread
  • Like 3

I always try to buy it physical, because something thing feels good when you hold the disk yourself and smell it.. ahh that smell.. also that store I buy from always uses some kind of fragrance next to the games so they smell real good :D

buying digital is a considerable option for me if there is a huge discount.

If you are having trouble with disk space on ps4 why don't you upgrade to a 1 or 2tb sshd?

I always go retail. I, also, like the physical product lined up on my shelf looking all nice and whatnot. Plenty of PSN games to purchase from the store but I don't see why anyone would pay so much more for a digital game when the only benefit is not having to put a disc in. It is a shame that blu-ray games still install onto your hard drive and take up space but considering it takes next to no time to install them from disc, I don't see this as a concern. There's only so many games a person can play at once!

Physical retail copy > Digital copy: You have more control over when and how you play the game. There really isn't much advantage that digital copies have over physical ones...the hardware developer still has control over the lifespan of the game (as seen with the PS3 library) and digital games eat up more HDD space.

Edited by merciful84

Game Manual? When was the last time I saw one of those in there??

Anyone who somewhat values money prefers physical.

Pro's of buying digital. 

- No changing discs in between games.

- Can't brake your game and can't have it stolen.

- You have an impressive digital collection.

Cons of buying digital.

- Can't resell

- Can't lend it to friend, 

- If your console turns off incorrecty (power cut ect) you may have to reformat your system. which includes completely wiping your system,

if you have no internet connection at the time, no games for you, no re downloading anything. 

- Depending on your region you may pay more for digital then you would retail.

- You can't break your game or have it stolen because you never got one in the first place.

- No cover art or manual. 

- If you buy digital on the vita the game is locked to one account (via locked memory cards) no playing it on a second/guest account,

There's literally no argument.

The only time to go digital is when there is a great deal on the store. 

If not, you're literally just getting ripped off. 

Unless the terms of service have changed, you probably don't even own digital games. The terms and conditions of digital downloads usually say that you are being sold a "service", i.e. access to the game.

If you buy retail then you usually own the product with a software licence.

For this reason alone, I go with retail when I can, and will go digital only if the price is significantly cheaper.

• Like 3

Unless the terms of service have changed, you probably don't even own digital games. The terms and conditions of digital downloads usually say that you are being sold a "service", i.e. access to the game.

If you buy retail then you usually own the product with a software licence.

For this reason alone, I go with retail when I can, and will go digital only if the price is significantly cheaper.

I wish more people understood this!