Kingdom Hearts 2 on PS2 Versus PS3

http://kotaku.com/kingdom-hearts-2-5-on-ps2-versus-ps3-1599127828

mzxdkehi49nf0rjoihto.gif

It's time for a graphical throw-down featuring everyone's favorite confusing mash-up,Kingdom Hearts.

While Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 Remix doesn't release until December for North America, we can already compare its graphics to the older version of the game. The video changes between the HD and SD version on its own, but you can also tell it to focus on one specifically at any given moment by pressing the HD and SD buttons on the top left and right corners of the video.

Obviously, the PS3 version looks better—the graphics are crisper and they have more detailed textures.

Is it just me, or is it hard for anyone else to tell the difference on most of these? Maybe it's just cause I don't really care about the best graphics...I mean, I still believe that Sonic 3 & Knuckles and Super Mario World have some of the best graphics, and prefer pixels to 3D renders.  Who needs hyper realistic graphics?

• Like 1

Did anyone else laugh at Donald dressed up as a snowman?!? No? just me? 

Well, I thought he looked absolutely ridiculous!!! Anyways, can't wait to play this though! I hope they spruced it up and made a few changes like 1.5.

I think they confirmed KH2 Final Mix and BBS Final Mix, if that's what you mean by 1.5 changes.

i think the ps3 HD version looks more detailed due to the higher res texture and more brighter than the ps2 original since the ps2 used to lacks a real time lighting something compared to the gamecube and the original xbox at the time, other than that they looks the same. but, those costumes on the HD version, are they exclusive for the ps3 version? i don't remember seen them on the ps2 version before.

though at least this is a true comparison, who still remember the cash grab comparison trailer between KH1 final mix ( ps2 ) and KH 1.5 HD remix ( ps3 )?

square enix shows the ps2 SD version looks like a 3D animation CG running in 16-bit quality and way much worse than the actual thing on the ps2.

Edited by yellowwindow7

Yeah, I mean I would only expect to see a 16:9 aspect ratio, improved textures, and maybe better color or lighting. Besides that, it will ultimately look the same as it's not a complete graphical "overhaul" in the sense of adding "new next-gen game" things such as additional textures and objects (new engine and objects like blades of grass for example, or overhauling areas and elements of the game) - it's simply just an HD upgrade version of the original game (which I like).

And like the first HD Remix, this is beautifully done, it's funny how their costumes changed too, haha - and it's interesting to see how they changed up the look (as far as textures) of certain things. And wow, the Birth by Sleep remake is beautifully reworked!

Also, I love how developers are starting to do graphics comparisons like this before the game release that the Internet used to end up doing anyway. It's a type of thing that gamers want to see that you'd expect developers not at all consider releasing, but they do now - MGSV is one other one that comes to mind with graphics comparisons. And do you guys realize how they set up the annotations in this video?? Holy crap, huge respect to the person who pulled that crap off!! lol

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

I thought the HD version looked very obviously better. It has real AA, smoother textures, and of course is a higher resolution. It's little harder to tell on Youtube, because their videos don't really display in full 720, but looking at the screenshots it shows an even bigger difference. And really, if you went and played the game yourself, you'd notice how much more it's changed. The difference between the original BBS and the HD version is incredible though. I was afraid that it would look kind of bad, since it was originally a PSP game.

i think the ps3 HD version looks more detailed due to the higher res texture and more brighter than the ps2 original since the ps2 used to lacks a real time lighting something compared to the gamecube and the original xbox at the time, other than that they looks the same. but, those costumes on the HD version, are they exclusive for the ps3 version? i don't remember seen them on the ps2 version before.

They were exclusive to the Final Mix version of Kingdom Hearts 2. Since the PS3 version is based on KHIIFM, it will also have the extra battles with the bosses from Chain of Memories, the extra dungeon, the puzzle collection minigame, Limit Form(which gives you Dodge Roll), the Terra boss fight, and some extra and extended scenes. Unlike 1.5, there isn't going to be any PS3 exclusive content for 2.5 though, at least not that they've announced.

They were exclusive to the Final Mix version of Kingdom Hearts 2. Since the PS3 version is based on KHIIFM, it will also have the extra battles with the bosses from Chain of Memories, the extra dungeon, the puzzle collection minigame, Limit Form(which gives you Dodge Roll), the Terra boss fight, and some extra and extended scenes. Unlike 1.5, there isn't going to be any PS3 exclusive content for 2.5 though, at least not that they've announced.

oh... thanks for the info's :) , i only played the standard Kingdom Hearts 2 version years ago on the ps2, guess this is why i didn't knew about the content seen on the ps3 HD remaster.