Should Sony have system like Microsoft e.g 1 plat gives you money to spend on store

Conker

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should Sony have it getting a plat gives you money to spend on the store

• Yes
    • NO

Silly Idea - why would Sony care if you get plats?

They dont want you to play every game to plat level, they want you yo tire of a game and buy the next one.

Also, giving free games to dedicated hunters is counter - intuitive, those are the very people who are willing to pay for thier games, they are a revenue stream, why poison it?

Also, on our side of the arguement, it would further encorage hacking

I think it would be cool to get the platinum image as an avatar once one has obtained the said platinum. That way people could show off some difficult platinum that they have earned to please their over-sized egos  B)

As for money, I realy dont think that thats a good idea.

• Like 1

I remember making a thread like this on another site, and I got roasted badly :P

Honestly this is a terrible idea. This would open the door even wider for hacking (as if it isn't enough of that already), glitching, etc. Not only that, you'll have jerks who'll be in it for the money and nothing more. I can see the destruction of many boosting sessions because people tend to become greedy. Instead of that, they should leave it the way it is. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Wait Microsoft gives you money for achievements?

Or is it that awful Xbox Rewards, where getting 25,000g (25 plats) makes you the highest tier of achievement hunter  :facepalm:

Last time I checked you don't get money to spend on the store, you get a 'special' present on your birthday (Forgot what it was, most likely an avatar award) or a 2% rebate on money spent per month, which is terrible, spending 2000 points would get 20 points back.

I think Sony should implement something more than a levelling system, but I definitely don't want anything that would entice hackers. 

That is correct although I don't recall the exact percentage on the rebate.  Sony Rewards is a much better deal in that regard if you are buying digitally since it's basically 10%.

I wouldn't be opposed to any additional rewards though.  Anything that rewards people who spend more or play more (whether by hours, trophies, etc.) seems like a good thing.

Well, isn't dedication and fun practically the same thing in-terms of trophy hunting; one way or another, that person will acquire a new plat which will raise their overall trophy level and percentage, thus relieving them of their shite game and being content with actual progress being made.

What I'm not understanding is, why should people be rewarded for earning trophies? Isn't the reward in acquiring the said trophy itself? It's akin to giving someone money for reading a book, just because they've been reading books for their personal enjoyment. Trophies are a hobby, not a rubric to enhance gaming rewards. People, as of this day and age, simply don't have time to dedicate to trophies every day, thus one isn't going to sacrifice their family time to nab some goodies Sony is offering.

Also, Microsoft's rewards program isn't all too stellar to begin with; If I recall, wasn't there some ridicule percentage off a game that's barely worth shite? Such as 2%? Trophy hunting is catered to a niche audience - not every gamer is doing it; so why overhaul an entire network for very few people?

I completely agree with this. 

Why should anyone be rewarded for whatever hobbies they pursue in their free time? Let's face it, trophies are merely unlockable icons tied to a PSN account that gamers can either try to unlock or ignore; they're not a fundamental aspect of the system, and only a small percentage of the consumer base give two shits about them.

So, honestly, why should anyone be rewarded for spending their free time playing a particular game or unlocking a particular trophy Furthermore, why should Sony be expected to shell out money based on your trophy hunting? I don't expect an author to give me a packet of chewing gum and a fiver for reading his/her book umpteen times. 

If you expect a financial windfall from spending your downtime playing games and unlocking trophies then I strongly consider that you ask yourself why you're even playing games.  

• Like 4

Yes, but not always money - it could be to unlock preorder bonuses, exclusive content or avatars for example.

AGREED! Actually, trophies should unlock avatars like they already do with themes (only few games do that though). Imagine getting an exclusive avatar for plat-ing a game, that'd be awesome.

I still reckon the vote was a bit too centerd on money. In CB we were also discussing in game exclusives as well as avatars, wallpapers etc. Currency was only a part of the debate.

Sony may have something up their sleeve as they only allow 1 list for multi-platform games with cross saves. This could be for 2 things (if you take into account all the messages saying Sony dont care what trophies are earnt, etc)

1 - redundancy, but lets face it there aren't that many games that use the feature.

2 - looking at a longer term plan to push all sorts of things based on trophy lists.

I doubt it will ever happen on PS3, generally because it is relatively easy to hack, but future developpement ....

From a dev's point of view, trying to get people to play their game for longer, be it through bonuses for plats and/or dlc means that people are playing their games for longer, and not playing competitors games.

In regards to the whole 'gaming session debacle' if it became an issue, I'm pretty sure that Sly would find a solution