Companions

kittygirl2010

This is an old game, I know, but I thought I'd breath some life into it again.

I want to know who was in everyone's ideal party. Who is your favorite companion? And who was your romantic interest? ^.^

As for me, my ideal party consisted of Anders for healing, Aveline was my tank of sorts and Merril for extra buffs and spell damage. (I played as a rogue btw.)

My favorite companion is Isabella, however. The stuff that came out of her mouth just made me die I laughed so hard. She's the comic relief in my opinion.  :lol:

As for romantic interest, well, I'll give you a hint. He was my "little wolf" (Virtual cookie for anyone who can guess)  :wub:

• Like 2

This is an old game, I know, but I thought I'd breath some life into it again.

I want to know who was in everyone's ideal party. Who is your favorite companion? And who was your romantic interest? ^.^

As for me, my ideal party consisted of Anders for healing, Aveline was my tank of sorts and Merril for extra buffs and spell damage. (I played as a rogue btw.)

My favorite companion is Isabella, however. The stuff that came out of her mouth just made me die I laughed so hard. She's the comic relief in my opinion.  :lol:

As for romantic interest, well, I'll give you a hint. He was my "little wolf" (Virtual cookie for anyone who can guess)  :wub:

Same ideal party for the same reasons!

My favorite was Isabella for that exact reason, and that's why she was my romance. :P

As for my guess, uh, Fenris?

• Like 1

Aveline always, I also loved Varric in the party. I didn't really use a healer at all. My first character was a Mage so I kept Isabella in the party. My 2nd was a rogue so I kept Anders around to blow stuff up(I really disliked how whiny Merrill was).

As a DPS Mage I went with Anders for healing and buffs, Varric/Isabelle for secondary DPS, and Fenris as a tank. 

My favorite companion was Anders since he and my Mage Hawke got along well. My romantic interest was Isabelle since I didn't like Aveline that much and Merrill never listened to me when it came to demons.

• 1 month later...

I am playing this right now, before stepping into Inquisition to have a fully fleshed background story.

First playthrough I am doing the typical templar warrior (female) with noble responses, but can't wait to do the sarcastic blood mage playthrough.

So far, Isabella, Fenris and Merryll are my fav characters.

I've done so, so, so many playthroughs... Also, potential spoilers!!!!

Team: Aveline is a must for her tanking, and Anders is a must for healing (unless Bethany is available). I rotate out the 3 companion to prevent stagnation, but Anders/Aveline combo leave room for ranged DPS like Varric, Sebastian, or Merril. Fenris and Isabella usually are just switched in for fun, or if they are relevant to that part of the story. Of course, any of this is open to alteration to suit my class/spec. When possible, I like to use Bethany/Carver because I liked the familial angle. Also, the first thing I do when I enter an area is cast the "summon Mabari" ability that came from the in case insert, all those years ago.

Favorite Companion: I'd say Aveline. I really like them all, truthfully, but Aveline is just so strong and absolute in most ways, but completely socially and emotionally awkward and insecure, but in a much more subtle and nuanced way than Merrill, whose much more noticeably fragile. Aveline reminds me of Francis Meehan's quote "Men are at war with each other, because each man is at war with himself." Aveline is one of the most flushed out female characters in gaming, and quite possibly other mediums as well, ESPECIALLY among the strong character type... Not just the usual tomboy soldier girl like Vasquez from Aliens or Michelle Rodriguez's character in Resident Evil (movie). Really, I could go on for an hour about Aveline, and another hour about Isabella as being near-perfectly written empowered female characters, in spite of seeming like a tomboy and a sextoy, respectively, at first glance... But after as much time and different angles as I've spent viewing the DAII crew, I can say they were very well written.

Favorite Romance: That's kind of a hard question... one that I will answer in the unnecessarily long-winded way I did the last question. I'll start by knocking a few names off the list. Fenris is too brooding... It gets old, Leto. Sebastian's little Jonas Brothers abstinence shtick is fine, but not gonna get him on my favorites. I can't completely decide between Merrill, Anders, and Isabella. Merrill, as a developed character, lacks the depth of Anders or Isabella, but in the last third of the romance, she moves in with you, dresses in fine whites, and genuinely benefits more from your relationship in a practical and observable way. There seems to be more actual interdependence in the romance twixt Hawke and Merrill. Anders has kind of a conflict in that he wants to be close to you but can't allow himself to, because he's not quite human (Justice) anymore and he's a terrorist. That's kind of interesting, and somehow, through it all, he's less broody than Fenris. Let's not forget how his story arc can end, either... His life is literally in your hands. Isabella is much more independent of Hawke, which is certainly reasonable, and unlike the others, she actually has sex with Hawke BEFORE she develops any feelings for him/her. It's a less story-book romance than the rest... That's something that happens more often than terrorist sex or scooping a girl out of the ghetto. As a character, she's far more interesting than Merrill, and as I alluded to earlier, she's well written as a human. She's as important to the second act, as Anders is to the third. I guess I'll pick Merrill BECAUSE she doesn't work as well as a character without Hawke, unlike Isabella or Anders.

I played DA2 multiple times, but during my last playthrough I had the following team:

My Hawke was a female warrior, who favored the Templars, but didn't want any Mage to suffer, so I helped Mages a lot.

I always used Varric (Rogue) as support, he was ideal for long distance, but could open all the doors/chests for better gear/weapons.

My third companion was mainly Anders as a Mage support.

But since my character was Templar minded, I often swapped him for Fenris if there was a specific pro Templar/Anti Mage mission.

Having both Fenris and Anders in a party often results in troubles conversations.

My last companion varied between everyone else left unmentioned.

I like to swap things once in a while, but I had no real fourth favorite.

My love interest was Isabela.

It's actually funny that whenever I played DA2, my charachter ended up gay/lesbian.

My male Rogue (pro mages) ended up with Anders, while I was actually aiming for Isabela.

My female Warrior (pro templar) ended up with Isabela, while I was aiming for Fenris.

I know it's easy to focus on whatever romantic interest you desire, but I just played without really think upon it.

• 1 month later...

My 3 favorites were Anders, Sebastian, and Isabella. It was quite entertaining to hear Anders and Sebastian go back and forth about their views on church.

Anders was perhaps my favorite companion in Dragon Age Origins/Awakening. Thats one of the reasons why he was always in my party but ever since he merged with Justice, hes not as fun as he use to be and complains too much. Still love his character, lots of development behind it.

Sebastian was a pretty cool character but you can kind of tell the devs didn't put nearly as much time into him as the others. Wish they did cause he is pretty cool at times.

Isabella gotta love her for her sarcastic coomments and wanting to make a joke about everything.

Varric, I actually didn't like as much.. always trying to bromance me, it got annoying lol.

Merril was nice every now and then, and has some funny conversations when teamed up with isabella but not much else I can think about her.

Aveline is good for tanking, not much else I like about her.

Bethany, Fenris and Carver were probably my least favorite, dull characters in my opinion.

However, no matter who you team up for those companion on companion chats while exploring... nothing will ever beat Alistair and Wynn and Morrigan from Dragon Age Origins. (Best DA team ever)

Edited by MafiaBrett

• 7 months later...

I played this game some 4 or 5 times, like 3 years ago... Returned to it this year, so i could play the Legacy DLC (kinda felt it was mandatory before playing Inquisition).

My party was almost all time: Anders, Isabella and Bethany...After Bethany went "on with her life" i used a bit of everyone... just for the fun of the party banter...

Im not the most tactical player so i just used characters i liked... the ones above...

I really didn't liked Fenris at all, and Carver was so annyoing... I swear i didnt played as Mage more often, just because I i couldnt barethe thought of leting Bethany die and put up with that ass...I only played as Mage once, and i really wanted to play more times but i just couldn't... it's so hard to me in this games to make the decisions i wouldn't just to explore a different walktrough...so u must imagine siding with Templars was a huge sacrifice... ironicly it was in the same walktrough that i played as mage... just to get the Platinum

• 3 weeks later...

I really, really dislike how choosing to be a Warrior/Rogue/Mage effects which one of your siblings is killed at the start of the game. I wish they'd given you a choice, kinda like in the Walking Dead, where Lee has to choose who he helps rescue at certain points in the game. Of the two siblings, I like Bethany best, Carver's a bit of a whiny tool to be honest. But I liked Carver more, once he becomes a Grey Warden, which he did in my current Mage playthrough.

Generally I prefer to have a party, consisting of a warrior, archer and mage. So usually Varric, Fenris/Aveline and Anders. I do swap my team about to make sure I'm upgrading their attributes and abilities. I like Isabella, no idea why she had such a drastic makeover from Dragon Age: Origins but she's an enjoyable character. Varric is my favorite companion, since he's got a lot of witty banter and I felt he had a stronger connection to Hawke, since he's telling the story. Fenris I like well enough, he's kinda angsty but he's been a slave most of his life, so he's kinda entitled to be grouchy. I like Anders well enough, he's still got some of the awesome personality from Dragon Age: Awakening and when he meets characters from the previous game, there's usually a good bit of dialogue to be heard ^^. Unfortunately Anders has got Justice inside him, so he's got an inner struggle that he's always dealing with ontop of that too. Merrill I'm 50/50 on character-wise. While I like Merrill, she's too trusting towards demons, which bugs me to no end, especially since I spent a good part of DA: Origins fighting all kinds of demonic entities. Aveline was alright, I liked her as a stalwart companion.

I like the Mabari, not technically a companion, but all the interactions with the Mabari and your companions is usually funny =3.