"Hatred" Reveal Gameplay Trailer Controversial Game

Light_Infinite_

Then why do you have World at War on your trophy list? Surely people being forced into serving in the armed forces and fighting overseas, watching their fellow soldiers being slaughtered would be miserable to those who lived through it. Why is it okay for you to use their misery as the basis of your entertainment? 

Parker

Cute, a character attack from a moderator.  You should know there's a difference between killing armed men who aim to kill you -- for any reason -- and the systematic slaughter of innocent, unarmed civilians.  If World at War was solely about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, your argument might have some weight, but it's not.

Cute, a character attack from a moderator.  You should know there's a difference between killing armed men who aim to kill you -- for any reason -- and the systematic slaughter of innocent, unarmed civilians.  If World at War was solely about the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, your argument might have some weight, but it's not.

A character attack? Sir, I'm simply asking you a question, there was nothing in that post that questioned your character at all. 

World War II was awful. Millions of innocent people slaughtered, millions of soldiers lost their lives and unfortunately a lot of people from the US were drafted into the armed forces, meaning these were regular Joe's like you and me, forced to be shipped overseas to fight, shoot and kill. So yeah, I would definitely say that gamers are getting enjoyment from the misery of the soldiers in World War II, regardless of the fact that your enemies were shooting back at you. 

Parker

• Like 3

"Don't argue with a room full of idiots (or crazy people in this case) because you will be the only one leaving looking stupid (crazy). You're out numbered...they are and will remain united in their stupidity (insanity)."

I'm going to take my own advice and exit from this ever-so enlightening debate. However, I will leave you all with is this: I hope no one here ever has to know or experience the trama of and/or losing someone to a mass shooting. It is nothing to be remotely glorified or entertained by. No matter how much you tell yourself, "its just a game", there is a part of you (regardless of how small) that knows its fuqed up.

Edited by merciful84

World War II was awful. Millions of innocent people slaughtered, millions of soldiers lost their lives and unfortunately a lot of people from the US were drafted into the armed forces, meaning these were regular Joe's like you and me, forced to be shipped overseas to fight, shoot and kill. So yeah, I would definitely say that gamers are getting enjoyment from the misery of the soldiers in World War II, regardless of the fact that your enemies were shooting back at you.

No argument here that WW2 was awful.  War is awful, but when it comes to video games, context is key.  World at War can get away with it because these Average Joes are shooting back;  it's the collision of two forces, both of whom were there under tragic circumstances.  The game is far removed from modern day, whereas Hatred is something that can happen anywhere at any time.  It hits too close to home to be able to be disconnected from it.

I also hope that no one ever loses someone close to them to a mass shooting, murderer or anything like that. Yeah, the game and premise is pretty fucked up, I don't think you'll find anyone who disagrees with you there either. But the fact of the matter is, this is a video game, not real life. Someone murdering innocent pixels has no effect on someone in the real life and we certainly shouldn't start censoring people because someone is offended by the subject matter.

The unfortunate thing about mass shootings like the ones this game has inspired is that they have far reaching consequences.  It's not just limited to the victims and their families, it affects nearly everyone.  Add onto the fact that this game comes a mere few years after the Aurora incident and Sandy Hook and the timing could just not be worse.

I don't think anyone here WANTS the game to be censored, that's the wrong solution to the problem.  What I'm advocating for is more responsibility in what developers choose to send messages about.  Maybe Hatred will have a more profound message than we let on currently, but for the time being, it looks like a cheap ploy for publicity in an industry that is gradually becoming more responsible and progressive.

I'm not upset that they made a game about mass murder, because I've been killing pixels for years (Cod, Battlefield, Uncharted, etc.) I'm upset that they wasted their time and talents making such a generic, boring looking game.

You spend years learning how to code, draw, write stories, animate, etc. Now you have the ability to make any game you want. Any game that you have ever wanted to play, you can create it. But what do they do instead? They make a generic game about killing people. Why? To send a message? What message are they trying to send? "Hey, there are evil people in the world, and people kill each other all the time." Wow, no shit.

People kill each other every single day. People kill over money, fame, resources, flying spaghetti monsters, etc. Everyone is aware of this. Thanks for telling us what we already knew. This is why I hate indie devs sometimes. Instead of following the first rule of game development, which is to ask yourself "Is this fun, would I play this?" They make some boring game just to say, "it's artistic, I'm sending a message." This game doesn't look fun at all. It looks like the type of game that would get repetitive after 5 minutes. I doubt the developers would even want to play it.

Stop trying to make video games some deep medium that can be used as social commentary. Video games are supposed to be fun, they are supposed to be a way to relax and escape reality. If your main focus when making a game isn't how fun it will be, then leave. Go do something else with your life, game development isn't for you.

If you choose to believe that you are JUST an animal then you will behave as one and I challenge you to really define your humanity as I did the previous person I was speaking with. Right, and we don't play most games as ISIS either (bar MW2)! I'm not just talking about children playing this game...I'm talking about the sick ass adults that would even want to!

Hahaha people are animals smart one. How are you challenging my humanity? You don't even know me. Tell me how many people in mass murders have been linked to video games research it i want to hear some facts.

1. Humans are part of the Animal Kingdom, the Phylum Chordata, the Class Mammalia, the Class Primates, the Family Homonidae, Tribe Hominini, and Genus Homo. Our species name is Homo Sapiens, which means "Man Wise", roughly.

Another thing where were video games during  World War 2. More people died when video games were not around. 

Add onto the fact that this game comes a mere few years after the Aurora incident and Sandy Hook and the timing could just not be worse.

So what games influenced the Aurora and Sandy Hook shootings? 

Those who surrender freedom for security will not have, nor do they deserve, either one.”- Benjamin Franklin

• Like 1

I've seen the trailer for this game the other day - I don't have much of an interest in this game as it doesn't really look fun... and not really enjoyable, just dark and somewhat depressing to me, lol

That being said, I personally don't have much of a problem of it being a thing, the developer should make whatever they want and the marketplace will react to it positively or negatively. My guess is this probably won't make it to the PlayStation Store and Xbox Live Marketplace anyway due to controversy.

Either way, I can see the mainstream media reacting to it with their crazy headlines... not too sure if that will help the gaming industry, but honestly who cares what the mainstream media has to say anyway, history has proven that they have not the slightest idea about our industry, lol

I've read the interviews with the head of the company though, and he seems a bit ... interesting... using his overly-excessive winky faces in his interview responses and trying to justify his reasoning for liking some terrorist organization on Facebook was just awkward, lol

However, that doesn't mean they don't have things in common, one of those things happens to be the slaughtering of innocent pixels. 

Surely context means something.

That was mainly my point.  There's a difference between making killing "innocent pixels" no more meaningful or interesting than anything else in the game (heck, it's not even something they advertise in the trailer)... and making it seem like you're doing the world a service by ending the lives of those people waiting at the bus stop.

Edited by Dreakon13

The problem is, this is the worst type of attention grabbing scheme you can think of. The shameless one. It doesn't seem to have a single ounce of substance, or anything interesting to say, the description of the game is basically ''we're hipsters''

Doesn't help that the development team are actual neo-nazis, either.

• Like 1

The problem is, this is the worst type of attention grabbing scheme you can think of. The shameless one. It doesn't seem to have a single ounce of substance, or anything interesting to say, the description of the game is basically ''we're hipsters''

Doesn't help that the development team are actual neo-nazis, either.

Where exactly did you hear that the developers were neo-nazis? I'd really be interested in reading whatever article that actually reveals this, as so far it seems like a mere rumour based upon a single shirt that one of the devs wore.

Where exactly did you hear that the developers were neo-nazis? I'd really be interested in reading whatever article that actually reveals this, as so far it seems like a mere rumour based upon a single shirt that one of the devs wore.

http://fucknovideogames.tumblr.com/post/100204212288/hatred-is-a-genocide-simulator-developed-by-neo-nazis

Read all of it, mentions stuff other than the shirt.