gun smoke and commando

rock_and_roll177

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

I mean, there isn't much to say. You move forward, and you reach the end of the stage.

1) Commando - as said above. Try to move forward as fast as possible. It's much harder to finish than Trojan, because there are no checkpoints.

2) Gun.Smoke - good luck. It is incredible that a forward scroller with such generous checkpoints can be so brutally hard. I am astounded at how good the AI is on such an early game. Perseverance is the key. The good thing is that enemies spawn in the stage in the exact same points ( although they don't behave the same way from life to life, and the peons spawn differently during boss fights). Stage 6 is absolutely brutal - and you have 4 more stages to follow!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I got stuck on level 3 in Gunsmoke for a very long time. The game has very shitty checkpoints which actually puts you at a disadvantage since you lose all the powerups you had before you lost all your lives.

Commando is almost purely skill. It's one of a few games that does not allow continues. I think Son Son and Pirate Ship Higemaru are the other two.

• 5 months later...

I beat commando playing a capcom shooting classic back on the playstation 1, got lucky and completed in a few tries, but gun smoke has been the bane of my existence, I've never got past the 5th level untill last week, got trophy and quit after dying over and over at the indian boss battle.

The itens you lose are one of each category at the time, you die and lose one boot, one gun and one bullet, almost every checkpoint has a few of these power ups, if you die before getting those itens, you lose the others you have in stock, be careful not to lose all your boots in later leves, walking slow past the 3rd level is a death sentence.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, KnAbrAvA said:

I beat commando playing a capcom shooting classic back on the playstation 1, got lucky and completed in a few tries, but gun smoke has been the bane of my existence, I've never got past the 5th level untill last week, got trophy and quit after dying over and over at the indian boss battle.

The itens you lose are one of each category at the time, you die and lose one boot, one gun and one bullet, almost every checkpoint has a few of these power ups, if you die before getting those itens, you lose the others you have in stock, be careful not to lose all your boots in later leves, walking slow past the 3rd level is a death sentence.

I just recently completed this cabinet and gunsmoke is by far the hardest game. The Indian chief on level 6 is also probably the hardest part, although I had more trouble with the final boss because I was unable to get the cheese method to work on it.

Keep at it, and if you manage to beat level 6 you should have no trouble finishing the game. My only advice is to try to hit the boss immediately after he lands, as it seems that us the only time it registers damage on him.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2019 at 9:50 PM, KnAbrAvA said:

On 7/16/2019 at 10:44 PM, Angus1343 said:

I just recently completed this cabinet and gunsmoke is by far the hardest game. The Indian chief on level 6 is also probably the hardest part, although I had more trouble with the final boss because I was unable to get the cheese method to work on it.

Keep at it, and if you manage to beat level 6 you should have no trouble finishing the game. My only advice is to try to hit the boss immediately after he lands, as it seems that us the only time it registers damage on him.

So is Son Son pretty doable?

Son Son, Commando and Gunsmoke are probably going to be the main barriers between me and fully completing this collection.

I got stuck on the third level of Gunsmoke, gave up after I lost all my powerups.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

So is Son Son pretty doable?

Son Son, Commando and Gunsmoke are probably going to be the main barriers between me and fully completing this collection.

I got stuck on the third level of Gunsmoke, gave up after I lost all my powerups.

I think SonSon is the second hardest game. Commando you can beat on the easy mode first to be able to practice the later levels. I did it this way and maybe I got lucky, but I managed to beat 8 levels the first time I made it past level five.

For SonSon I actually finished it on an attempt where I was doing worse than some of my previous tries. What I ended up doing is for the final few barricades I just focused on avoiding all damage rather than shooting the blocks to proceed, because I had only one life left. If you survive at them long enough, the game will continue even if you haven't fully destroyed all of the blocks. Doing it this way I was able to stay out of danger, whereas I was getting killed very easily if I tried destroying each of the barricades near the end.