Guess the Video Game Music Quiz

MMDE

So is the first one from Dragon Quest game?

Nope. A little hint for everyone is that you can actually tell who the composer is for a lot of these tracks. If you have any idea what composers has worked for Square and listened to some of their work, you got a decent idea what each composer sounds like. In the case of the first one, one can tell by the sound and composition who the composer is IMO. I can also say that there are many FF games yet not guessed! haha There is also a particular other series that hasn't been guessed anything from.

Too much of hassle trying to figure out from what games each of these are. Most of these games have ton's of tracks and it kinda defeats the whole purpose to go through the soundtrack's one by one.

There is still non FF track's to be guessed but i can't really place any of them right now.

#11 sounds very much like Yoko Shimomura's work. This wouldn't be from Heroes of Mana?

#11: Correct composer of that track, so good work on that, but wrong game! :) It's not even from the Mana series, but I guess it was released around the same time as some of the Mana games.

Too much of hassle trying to figure out from what games each of these are. Most of these games have ton's of tracks and it kinda defeats the whole purpose to go through the soundtrack's one by one.

There is still non FF track's to be guessed but i can't really place any of them right now.

What is left:

Core FF games: 6

Games that has FF in the name, at least in some regions, but is not really part of the core series: 5

Other games than those mentioned: 11

Another tip is listening to the melodies. Many composers re-use some of the melodies or tones etc for the same soundtrack, it creates a sense of coherence or whatever. Another fact is that the composers usually have a library of sounds they use when creating the music, this can often be used to recognize particular games or composers etc. I realize there's some almost "metal" or at the very least "heavy rock" tracks in this quiz, what known composer who has done soundtracks for Square is known for that? I know of at least two, but there's a very distinct difference between the two in what instruments and how "raw" it sounds etc. Some of the tracks used in this quiz is played so often in the games. Like in the case of the track from FF1, I took the track from the PS1 version, I have done similar with others, so it's hard to tell which of the tracks are actually from some of the oldest games. Some of the tracks is from a series that hasn't had most of the games release outside Japan, but some of the games have definitely done so.

You asked about the first track earlier, this composer has done more than one track in this quiz that hasn't been guessed, and has a very distinct sound.

Yes, some of these games have massive soundtracks, helps to have heard them before I guess, but usually these I've made easier to guess, except for like FFXII I guess, which was guessed.

Edited by MMDE

#1 is final Fantasy Tactics

#5 is from Final Fantasy III

#6 is from The Last Remnant

#15 is from E.V.O. Search for Eden

#16 is from Radiata Stories

#18 is from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

#26 is from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

#30 is from Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song-Battle theme

#33 is from Legend of Mana-Nostalgic Song by Yoko Shimomura (one of my favorite composers)

#37 is from Final Fantasy XI

#38 is from Final Fantasy II and is the final battle theme

sorry I only have game guesses for most of these.  I have played soo many square RPGs where it is hard to differentiate some times  :D

#1 is final Fantasy Tactics

#5 is from Final Fantasy III

#6 is from The Last Remnant

#15 is from E.V.O. Search for Eden

#16 is from Radiata Stories

#18 is from Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

#26 is from Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

#30 is from Romancing SaGa: Minstrel Song-Battle theme

#33 is from Legend of Mana-Nostalgic Song by Yoko Shimomura (one of my favorite composers)

#37 is from Final Fantasy XI

#38 is from Final Fantasy II and is the final battle theme

sorry I only have game guesses for most of these.  I have played soo many square RPGs where it is hard to differentiate some times  :D

#01: Correct! +2 :D

#05: Nope! :P The same composer did a couple of tracks from this game's sound track, but mostly not and definitely not the track in question.

#06: Nope! :P

#15: Nope! :P

#16: Nope! :P

#18: Correct! +2 :D

#26: Nope! :P

#30: Very close, and the melody is likely in that game's soundtrack, but that game is a remake and the entire soundtrack has been remade as well, so the track is not to be found there! :o But again, yup, it's from that series! :)

#33: Correct!! +4 :D :D

#37: That too is correct! ^^ +2

#28: Nope, but it is the same composer.

Edited by MMDE

#14 I know this one, I just can't place it... This is going to bug me all day...

It kind of sounds like it could be from the Tales series, but that's not Square...

Is it from Chrono Trigger?

#14 I know this one, I just can't place it... This is going to bug me all day...

It kind of sounds like it could be from the Tales series, but that's not Square...

Is it from Chrono Trigger?

#14: Nope, because one from Chrono Trigger has always been guessed. Chances are, you've played the game, and so has plenty of people who's listened through the quiz!

#4 is from FF4

#19 is from FF10 - Calm before the Storm

Wow, I'm really bad at this. Some songs felt pretty familiar, though. :/

Both are correct, but has been guessed before! :P

#14: Nope, because one from Chrono Trigger has always been guessed. Chances are, you've played the game, and so has plenty of people who's listened through the quiz!

Both are correct, but has been guessed before! :P

Pfff, it's salt flats from FF8... Can't believe that brain fart I had yesterday xD completely drew a blank on it

Pfff, it's salt flats from FF8... Can't believe that brain fart I had yesterday xD completely drew a blank on it

#14: That's correct! :D +4

And yeah, surprised people didn't guess a track from FF8 before now. :P

Let's just say FF1-14 is in this quiz! :o And several of 'em hasn't been guessed.

Edited by MMDE

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Man, I'd love to get back into this, but these are so hard (and old, I'm only 20 :S)

Not my fault Square made their good shit in the 90s. :P But it is true that I'm most comfy with soundtracks from that era, honestly often not that great anymore.

I guess it's about time to give some hints though! :D

See, there we go!! HINTS!!!

http://psnprofiles.com/forums/topic/22809-guess-the-video-game-music-quiz/page-6#entry1043139

You choose music from the game company I think I know best, and then realise that I know incredibly little.

And number 34 sounds like it should be from Final Fantasy VIII or IX, but  it sounds too similar to Salt Flats. I have the FFIX OST and that hasn't helped either.

#34: It's from Final Fantasy IX! :P And it's definitely a track from the official soundtrack. +1

Edited by MMDE