What did you think of Episode 1?

StormRacer872

What did you think of Episode 1 of Life is Strange?

Below is what I thought; read it if you'd like, or just answer the question above :)

I just started - and finished - the first episode today, as I had been holding out to get the complete season pass (I had played the demo before, but it's fairly short relative to the full episode, so I hadn't got a good feel for the game yet). The review scores I had seen seemed to be mostly positive, with the most consistent complaint being the lip-syncing (which, having now played it, I felt at times did actually ruin the immersion into the game), and so I figured I could expect a game that I would at least find decent. 

I'm happy to say that it took "decent" and ate it for breakfast, laughing at such a standard. Of course, this is only my opinion, but I really feel like this may be the best $4-$5 game I've ever played (just in regards to the varying price range, it's because it depends on how you buy the episodes [ie. each episode individually, first episode and then the rest bundled, or complete season pass])!

Now, I should say this first: this is by no means what I would consider an amazing game. It may be amazing for its price, that much I'll say, but I wouldn't put it on a podium and regard it as an amazing game by the same criteria I would judge a full AAA title. As mentioned before, it's fatal flaw really is the lip-syncing; it ruined the immersion for me at times, and I'd even say that it really just isn't acceptable given the type of game this is: a story driven, cutscene heavy one. I know that they may not have had the resources available to focus on this aspect of the game, but it's really disappointing, and the one thing that really let me down among all the positives. 

Now then, what are all the positives? The voice acting; some people didn't like it, but I thought it was wonderfully done. The same goes for the story; some people didn't like it, but I quite did. It kept me hooked the whole way through, and there's plenty of things to interact with in the world which I missed while playing it; stories of characters which I never learned, but hopefully will on another play through. I enjoy the two main protagonists, and their stories kept me wanting more (and still keep me wanting more - time to wait for episode 2!).

The main gameplay mechanic for Life is Strange is (spoiler warning in case anyone really wants to go into this game blind)

the ability to turn back time and change your decisions. I quite like the mechanic, as it in most cases allows you a second chance on whatever choice you may make (this isn't true in all cases, however, and there was actually one part which I would've liked to rewind but couldn't due to the decision immediately leading into a cutscene).

Aside from the lip-syncing, I really liked episode 1 of Life is Strange, and for $4, I will say that this is very likely the best $4 game I've ever played (not counting games I may have gotten on sale for that price or lower. I'm simply speaking of games that you can purchase for $4 as the typical price). Arguably, you could say that most of TellTale's episodic games could challenge and beat Life is Strange, but keep in mind that this is only my opinion; while I like TWD games from TellTale (played all of Season 1 and the first episode of Season 2), I'd have to say I'm much more thoroughly enjoying Life is Strange over either of those.

Also, the soundtrack is amazing. Listening to one of the songs right now: 

Can't wait for episode 2! :D

Love the game so far, much better than the walking dead TBH but the lip syncing annoys me. Hope they fix this on the next episodes but other than that I bought the season pass and ready for the next to come.  

Edited by Peach

The lip syncing is really bad and I found a handful of the dialogue to be really awkward.

But, I like the character development, the story is good and emotional, and I liked the soundtrack. It was cool being able to rewind to see what the other decision leads to. It has a really interesting premise. This game reminded me a lot of Beyond Two Souls. This game has more game play than that game lol, but the main character reminded me a lot of Ellen Page for some reason. 

Overall, it's not great, but it's quite enjoyable and I will definitely be playing the entire game (I bought the season pass). It's especially good for only being $5. 

Edited by Lilseb93

I just finished the first episode and I will say....Square Enix take my money NOW!

I will agree with all the people above that the lip sync was really distracting, but I was still immersed enough to ignore it. The character development was good, the soundtrack is AMAZE-BALLS, and the environment was very pretty. 

Even though the graphics weren't that great, it still has a lot going for it. This game has a lot of charm, it's very chill and feels very indie like in the sense that I never knew about it until a few days ago.

I can't wait to see what the next episodes have in store!

Edited by kittygirl2010

I just finished the first episode and I will say....EA take my money NOW!

I will agree with all the people above that the lip sync was really distracting, but I was still immersed enough to ignore it. The character development was good, the soundtrack is AMAZE-BALLS, and the environment was very pretty. 

Even though the graphics weren't that great, it still has a lot going for it. This game has a lot of charm, it's very chill and feels very indie like in the sense that I never knew about it until a few days ago.

I can't wait to see what the next episodes have in store!

Actually, DONTNOD is the developer, and Square Enix is the publisher. Although if you give your money to EA, maybe we'll get Star Wars: Battlefront sooner? ONE CAN HOPE!

I just finished EP1 on PS3 and I am interested to see how the rest of the game plays out. This game is hipster as fuck though :)

Only thing that bothered me was the screen tearing, but I am guessing you PS4 guys don't have to put up with it (I hope at least)

Tbh I didn't notice the lip syncing. I guess I didn't look the characters in the mouth a lot. o_o

I have a soft spot for games in which the outcome depends on your decisions and in which you're not prone to death. I can't wait for the next episode!

Thought it was great, I went in shying myself from actual gameplay before starting just thinking it was gonna be Remember Me's remix memory sequences in a high school setting. I wasn't expecting to actually go back in time and second guess my choices and actually change outcomes to my liking keeping those memories intact.

It"ll be interesting to see if the big choices branch off to other environment/character changes which i hope they do since one of my biggest problems with games from TT is that they all go down similar paths in everyone's playthrough with minor changes, here's hoping dontnod do something a bit more ambitious in that regard.

I didn't really notice the lip synching that much to ruin my immersion and i too also enjoyed the voice acting. The one thing that pleasantly suprised me was the journal updates and the collection of documents/posters you keep as you explore the environment. Just a really nice touch that helps with the already great atmosphere the game has.

Edited by qxc

• 2 weeks later...

This game is hipster as fuck though :)

This caught my eye, actually this is exactly what I was afraid of when I saw this game on store. Seemed like a different kind of game but maybe it's just hipster :lol:

I mean sometimes indie games / other weird or different kind of games are just trying to be too artistic and suck. I felt like this when playing Rain.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/4/2015 at 9:24 PM, StormRacer872 said:

Although if you give your money to EA, maybe we'll get Star Wars: Battlefront sooner? ONE CAN HOPE!

This reminds me of the scene from one of the first Sopranos episodes where Pussy and Christopher are dumping a guy's body, and Pussy is trying to explain why it's better not to send his crew a message that they killed him.

"This way, they know, but they don't know. They think, 'Maybe he'll come back... if.'"

Edited by rdhight

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
On 26.2.2015 at 2:16 AM, Sikatiiker said:

This caught my eye, actually this is exactly what I was afraid of when I saw this game on store. Seemed like a different kind of game but maybe it's just hipster :lol:

I mean sometimes indie games / other weird or different kind of games are just trying to be too artistic and suck. I felt like this when playing Rain.

I just finished first episode and i don't think it's too hipster. Actually i quite liked it. It comparison to any telltale game, your actions here can make a difference. I liked the pace and how this episodes story was told, plus the music was good. It's better than i thought it would be since friends told me it's totally overhyped. I would not say it's one hell of a game but surely kept me interested. PS: nice avatar, Ash ;)