MW2 Spec ops lag

kandidio

Every time I try to play spec ops online with someone, it usually ends up with us being in a terrible lag infilled session. I'm not sure why every time since in MW2 multiplayer, I get next to no lag at all and every other multiplayer game I play, I also experience no lag. I'm almost positive it's not my conncection and I would like to know if you guys also experience lag as well as when you try to play spec ops online. I really need a partner for some missions as I'm very close to the platinum but the lag is really holding me back.

• Like 2

I had 2 occasions with this game. First one, I was playing from someone in NA and we had huge ammounts of lag (would say unbearable, but we did all the coop anyway, so it could not be that bad). Other ocasion, I played with someone in the next state, sometimes we had little lag, but mostly none at all. If you can, prefer playing with someone as close to you as possible, playing in couch coop being the optimal choice.

• 1 month later...

I've had multiple problems trying to connect to people online with MW2. I either get massive amounts of lag (to the point that the other person will quit completely and seemingly never go online with me) or if there's no lag, I will get a message of "lost connection to Spec Ops partner for 12 seconds." It's never consistent except for the fact that it's giving me problems.

The only conclusion I can draw is it's my ISP being stupid and doing bandwidth caps on me.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm in the UK and I have both a Cable and a VDSL (Fibre To The Cabinet) internet connections.
There is terrible lag in this game via Spec Ops mode because both players act as "hosts" exchanging data between instead of most games which only has one host (usually the gamer with the best connection or who starts the game lobby first).

You must therefore have a cable or fibre internet connection so you have BOTH a decent Downlod AND Upload speed, basic ADSL will not cut it.
Doing a connection test from PS3 Network Settings, you should get Download and Upload estimates in Mbps, if you only get Kbps, it's not good enough, get a better internet connection from your ISP or competitor ISP.

In MW2 Multiplayer and all other game multiplayers, only one gamer is chosen as host, and the game will pick the best connection (upload), that gamer's PS3 then has to upload the events during the gaming session to all the other consoles, whereas each "client" only need to upload it's own "movements" (your movements, shots, actions, etc.), therefore having a low upload speed internet connection doesn't matter.

Previously, this would also be known as a "host advantage" due to lack of latency for the host, however, most MP games now nerf the host to be level with everyone else.

What you'll also hear about is "Dedicated Servers", these run at a company and all gamers connect to them as clients, the host function being taken on by the Dedicated Server, this however is an additional cost for the developer/publisher, so not common, generally in most games what passes as a "server" for PS3 MP games is just a "yellow pages" matchmaking server.

With a sophisticated router and firmware (not the freebie your ISP gave you), you can monitor the traffic passing through your internet connection, and can clearly see connections to other PS3 gamers, PSN, and any dedicated servers the particular game may have, hence easily checking for and seeing there are no dedicated servers for MW2 Spec Ops.

It may also help against latency to be in the same country or nearby, but this won't help if your upload speed is not good enough (could be next door neighbours for example), the game requires the upload bandwidth to be there.

Probably obvious, but also don't use PS3 wirelessly connected to Internet, use a wired Ethernet connection. Don't have everyone in the house upload youtube videos, pictures, etc.

My connections are really good and no problems in other games, the reason I have two is in case the ISP has a temporary problem, totally down OR routing problems to other countries which can happen sometimes.

Edited by AceSoloMcCloud

Yea when I went for the plat I had really bad lag with several different friends that I tried to get to help  me.  One was from my same town and several from other areas and still no luck.  However,  I did manage to do them solo with a second controller and didn't find them either to be that challenging.  Good luck!!

Yeah, the lag in MW2 Spec Ops is pretty ridiculous. I tried playing with guys who were just a few states away and it was nigh impossible with some people. It's better anyways to play most of them solo anyways, as there are so many solo methods to levels that make some of them completely piss easy. The two Echo Juggernaut levels can be glitched, using the truck method in the favela and any of the numerous methods on the oil rig,while Wetwork can be sped run in under a minute and a half, without using that whole "AT4" nonsense; just a shotgun and four flashbangs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

i gotta say, the lag hasnt got any better. me and another player tried it tonight and we couldnt even move. it was either stuttering lag or rubberbanding. badly. iif you cant solo these then you may as well skip this game. i tried hard wired internet, changing from 5 to 2, wireless. nothing made a difference. the servers are horrendous. i dont recall having this bad of a issue around launch but that was 10 years ago so i may be wrong.

56 minutes ago, melodicmizery said:

i gotta say, the lag hasnt got any better. me and another player tried it tonight and we couldnt even move. it was either stuttering lag or rubberbanding. badly. iif you cant solo these then you may as well skip this game. i tried hard wired internet, changing from 5 to 2, wireless. nothing made a difference. the servers are horrendous. i dont recall having this bad of a issue around launch but that was 10 years ago so i may be wrong.

I tried it a few years ago with another player and we couldn't do it. Lag was too horrible to play. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I tried this online a few years ago and the lag made it close to impossible, I was killed by friendly fire at the end of Overwatch because the lag was extremely bad. We were from the same region in the UK. Well, since then I've moved to another part of the UK. I teamed up with a guy today and was surprised to see the connection was as good as playing offline. After an hour there was the occasional hiccup, then all resumed back to normal. Come to find the guy lives 20-25 miles away from me. So, I would say it's important to find someone as close to you as possible which is the difficult part, and to both have fast internet.

Some missions require two players, it would be impossible to attempt alone with two controllers. I solo'd about 8 spec ops on my own but some others are next to next to impossible to do solo

On 11/12/2021 at 0:30 AM, HandsUp1992 said:

I tried this online a few years ago and the lag made it close to impossible, I was killed by friendly fire at the end of Overwatch because the lag was extremely bad. We were from the same region in the UK. Well, since then I've moved to another part of the UK. I teamed up with a guy today and was surprised to see the connection was as good as playing offline. After an hour there was the occasional hiccup, then all resumed back to normal. Come to find the guy lives 20-25 miles away from me. So, I would say it's important to find someone as close to you as possible which is the difficult part, and to both have fast internet.

Some missions require two players, it would be impossible to attempt alone with two controllers. I solo'd about 8 spec ops on my own but some others are next to next to impossible to do solo

Exept 2 mission all can be done on solo and its easy

• 5 months later...
On 12/11/2021 at 10:30 AM, HandsUp1992 said:

All of them can be done solo or at most require a second controller. Take this from a guy that has solo'd every single spec op except for the 2 player ones time and time again.

• 3 weeks later...