CAPCOM: STREET FIGHTER 5 IS 'SOMETHING THAT NOBODY IS EXPECTING'

ZeroXOF

Lol when I saw the name of the thread, all I can think of is how many more words can they put into their game: Hyper Mega Ultra Super Duper Street Fighter V?

8844a3c8a8.png

Super Ultra Dead Rising 3 Dash Arcade Remix Hyper Edition EX Plus Alpha Fighter V

Honestly, I just want the game to play more like Alpha did. Not so much the -Isms, but the way the game felt - quick and responsive.

Edited by Agent Coulson

When a developer says they're trying to "expand their audience", it's usually unsettling to me. Street Fighter has a pretty clear image and that's what people are expecting from it with a new sequel. Changing the overall direction of the series might result in old fans getting turned off rather than new people getting into it. That being said, Capcom has always treated the franchise with a lot of respect, so i doubt the "essence" of Street Fighter is going to be changed. An expanded single player  mode seems like the most obvious thing to do.

How can they "expand their audience" if they restrict SF5 to two platforms? 

How can they "expand their audience" if they restrict SF5 to two platforms? 

They expanded their audience to Sony CEOs.

But this might even be the reason they're doing this in the first place. Trying to appeal to a wider audience because they're not sure if they'll get the sales they want just from 2 systems.

They expanded their audience to Sony CEOs.

But this might even be the reason they're doing this in the first place. Trying to appeal to a wider audience because they're not sure if they'll get the sales they want just from 2 systems.

Lol at the first part, you got me. 

Considering the 3DS version of 4 sold 1.2 million in half the time of the console versions, they'll probably lose sales in the handheld market. Xbox also sold decently compared to the PS version. There's no expanding happening here, only downsizing. I hope Capcom don't blame Sony if this doesn't work in their favor.

Look at Guilty Gear XRD, the game had potential but because ASW got greedy and restricted the game to two platforms and didn't even release in Europe/AU region the game barely sold 500,000 thousands unit. 

Edited by BearShark

Capcom, give me Alex and add several new characters to the rooster, please! I realy hope the new stuff they are talking about are just story mode improvements, since the story telling of Street Fighter lacks inovation. I never cared about the story in any SF game anyway, because it simply wasn´t appealing to me. Even in SFxT... Pandora what?! But Jin and Kazuya are were the game so good enough to me :P I simply enjoy the charaters and the mechanics.

Edited by Killua-ID

I bet they're going back to the style of Street Fighter 2010 the Final Fight

http://www.consoleclassix.com/info_img/Street_Fighter_2010_NES_ScreenShot1.jpg

But in all seriousness. I don't think it'll be that much different. Maybe they'll just add RPG elements for online so you can level up your custom character or something like DB Xenoverse. Adding a progression layer to learn how to play the game.

I think damon is just secretly developing a go kart racing game for every franchise.

No, but it wouldn't surprise me a bit if every game series, regardless of genre, has a rhythm game or racer held back as a contingency plan in case the fans want more of their characters but the developers don't have the next major release ready yet.

"The fans want more of our characters, but the 5th installment isn't ready yet! Throw the dancing game contingency at them to shut them up!"

You're not training correctly then.  Training does far more than that actually.

That's sort of my point. If "street fighter V is about growing a passion" (which reads to me that they're going to try and reach new players) then I think they need to be teaching the complex mechanics in the story/campaign, which is what the majority of new players will jump right into. 

Going into training mode is like hitting the library and being handed a stack of encyclopedias to read for new players. I found it boring, difficult and unhelpful. Rather than just teach me 5 sets of combos against a passive dummy, then proceeding to the next lesson, I think it would be far more engaging if mechanics were taught during the actual campaign, that you were given time to get comfortable with that new skill before moving on to the next one, and use it a few times.

Most other genre's of games teach their mechanics gradually as the game progresses. Can you imagine being new to RPGs and them just throwing all the different stats and items/buffs/perks at you all at once, with no idea of how those will affect the gameplay? You'd quickly get frustrated and bored.

I don't want to sound like I'm undervaluing you or anything but I have to agree on grimy with this one you're not training enough. You can practice execution (Combos/Links/Moves/Timing) all you want but if you don't apply that by reading or setting up the opponent you'll always get your ass handed to you and I think this is something that simply no " Mode " can teach you, if anybody has an idea of how, be my guest and suggest it.

Honestly its all they should teach you, part of what makes a fighting game fun, satisfying and interesting is devising new unique strategies and being inventive against your opponent.

Exactly. And you'd be able to practice reading and setting up the opponent better in story/campaign than in training, IMO.

I remember when Street Fighter II came out and it was amazing at the arcade. The arcade near my house got Champion Edition and I spent a boat load of money on it. About 185 thousand varieties of SFII followed Champion Edition. Street Fighter III came out when I was in college and my school got that so I spent a boat load more on that. I thought it seemed like a long time for a sequel to come out, but if V is only coming out now, my view of a long time was severely limited.

Capcom probably has something that is supposed to appeal to people like me with 20+ year old memories of SF, but in my social circles that played SF at the arcades, only one of us is even interested in anything SF anymore and the rest of us are unlikely to get back into it. Hopefully Capcom doesn't go that route and does something that targets the whole swath of gamers that have never played a SF before, with V being their first. 

Actually, surprisingly enough, Capcom have been leading the way as far as DLC goes recently. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen expansion had more content in it than some full $60 games do, and it was only $20. Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a perfect example of how to do microtransactions correctly. Selling revive crystals, but also giving them out daily for simple challenges.

That old, greedy, Capcom is gone. I'm sure we'll still see an Ultra SF5, but I doubt it'll get as ridiculous as SF4 was with all the versions.

As for this topic, it might be an actual story mode. I think MK9 showed a lot of people that stories can work in fighting games, and Capcom may try to do that for Street Fighter.

Stories can work in fighting games as long as you put an arcade more beside the main story. Where the characters get their own endings. I really need those.

And on the topic of capcom doing dlc right i 100% agree. The way they handled Revelations 2 was awesome. No money grabbing no game content locked behind a pay well. Let's hope they continue like that! 

not to mention the amount of stuff they are adding to DMC4 HD. Most companies just rerelease a game.

Edited by Johnathan994
  • Like 1

Stories can work in fighting games as long as you put an arcade more beside the main story. Where the characters get their own endings. I really need those.

And on the topic of capcom doing dlc right i 100% agree. The way they handled Revelations 2 was awesome. No money grabbing no game content locked behind a pay well. Let's hope they continue like that! 

not to mention the amount of stuff they are adding to DMC4 HD. Most companies just rerelease a game.

Exactly, arcade and story can coexist. The story can be something like MK9, where you go through and play as a bunch of different characters, depending on what is happening in the story. It would we a great way to help newcomers decide who they like, and what kind of fighting style fits them.

Arcade can still be in there as a more specific story. Maybe after finishing the main story you are interested in a certain character. Then you can play that character's arcade, and get to know them better.

Maybe story will be like with just a few original fighters with easier moves that cater everyone. For example Ryu is the all rounded fighter, Ken is the basic distance one, and Chun-Li like an agile one. So it attracts new gamers with series staples but offers a great cast for online and local competitive games. 

That's sort of my point. If "street fighter V is about growing a passion" (which reads to me that they're going to try and reach new players) then I think they need to be teaching the complex mechanics in the story/campaign, which is what the majority of new players will jump right into. 

Going into training mode is like hitting the library and being handed a stack of encyclopedias to read for new players. I found it boring, difficult and unhelpful. Rather than just teach me 5 sets of combos against a passive dummy, then proceeding to the next lesson, I think it would be far more engaging if mechanics were taught during the actual campaign, that you were given time to get comfortable with that new skill before moving on to the next one, and use it a few times.

Most other genre's of games teach their mechanics gradually as the game progresses. Can you imagine being new to RPGs and them just throwing all the different stats and items/buffs/perks at you all at once, with no idea of how those will affect the gameplay? You'd quickly get frustrated and bored.

Exactly. And you'd be able to practice reading and setting up the opponent better in story/campaign than in training, IMO.

Again, your view of what's training mode is incorrect.... 

No, you won't.....  the CPU isn't a human being.  That alone is the reason  why that won't work.

• Like 1