CAPCOM: STREET FIGHTER 5 IS 'SOMETHING THAT NOBODY IS EXPECTING'

ZeroXOF

Apparently SFV has something up it's sleeves.

A part of the article:

"So now we want to create something that nobody is expecting," Ono went on to add. "It’s going to be a title that caters to fans, of course, but one that also invites completely new players onto the scene. Street Fighter IV was about reviving a passion. Street Fighter V is about growing that passion."

Read more at IGN: http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/04/13/capcom-street-fighter-5-is-something-that-nobody-is-expecting

A campaign or story mode that gradually introduces and teaches the mechanics is what I'd like to see. I could fumble through SFIV's single player on hard by spamming certain moves, but never enjoyed the multiplayer as I'd always get my ass handed to me. A "training room" isn't enough, IMO, because they only ever seem to teach combos, not the fancy stuff that gives you a chance in an actual fight.

• Like 2

A campaign or story mode that gradually introduces and teaches the mechanics is what I'd like to see. I could fumble through SFIV's single player on hard by spamming certain moves, but never enjoyed the multiplayer as I'd always get my ass handed to me. A "training room" isn't enough, IMO, because they only ever seem to teach combos, not the fancy stuff that gives you a chance in an actual fight.

You're not training correctly then.  Training does far more than that actually.

It is. I think 3rd strike hit the perfect balance though, they made it easier with 4 which is also ok but any more than that would be too much.

3rd Strike was not balanced and it was stupid that your opponents can parry your DP in they're in the air.  3rd strike is overrated IMO.  Give me CvS2, Alpha 2 or 3

Edited by grimydawg

You're not training correctly then.  Training does far more than that actually.

3rd Strike was not balanced and it was stupid that your opponents can parry your DP in they're in the air.  3rd strike is overrated IMO.  Give me CvS2, Alpha 2 or 3

Isn't 3rd strike the one were they nerfed Sean? Not to be a downer but I think Nash is going to be top tier. 

Isn't 3rd strike the one were they nerfed Sean? Not to be a downer but I think Nash is going to be top tier. 

Yeah, he got nerfed badly in 3rd strike.....  Nash is actually my favorite character.  We'll see though.  Folks thought a lot of characters sucked in SF4, but found out they didn't....  Let's just see what happens when the game comes.

When a developer says they're trying to "expand their audience", it's usually unsettling to me. Street Fighter has a pretty clear image and that's what people are expecting from it with a new sequel. Changing the overall direction of the series might result in old fans getting turned off rather than new people getting into it. That being said, Capcom has always treated the franchise with a lot of respect, so i doubt the "essence" of Street Fighter is going to be changed. An expanded single player  mode seems like the most obvious thing to do.

• Like 4

I was actually referring to the inputs. I feel 3rd strike hit the perfect point, moves were tight to pull off but very responsive once you get into it. Moves are really easy to pull off in the 4 series (not a bad thing, but I prefer the tight execution of older games). If we're talking about character balance and the parry system, then yes, I have to agree with you; it wasn't balanced. 

I wasn't even born yet when the alpha series came out so I unfortunately missed out on those, I probably should have played them later on but I didn't. Although I did play CvS2 shortly and what I did play was great.

• Like 1

I just wished they went back to the characters roots as in story wise, there is so much potential with any of the characters and I feel a good story will appeal to a wider audience. I'm so looking forward to the game and eager if any of my characters make the cut, curious to see what direction they will go just hoping it does not go in the money hungry path like Street Fighter x Tekken...

The Spanish Inquisition.

I don't want to sound like I'm undervaluing you or anything but I have to agree on grimy with this one, you're not training enough. You can practice execution (Combos/Links/Moves/Timing) all you want, but if you don't apply that by reading or setting up the opponent you'll always get your ass handed to you and I think this is something that simply no " Mode " can teach you, if anybody has an idea of how, be my guest and suggest it.

Honestly its all they should teach you, part of what makes a fighting game fun, satisfying and interesting is devising new unique strategies and being inventive against your opponent.

It was stupid that your opponents can parry your DP in they're in the air.  

I sense a little salt from that.

Edited by Ramonachan

I don't want to sound like I'm undervaluing you or anything but I have to agree on grimy with this one you're not training enough. You can practice execution (Combos/Links/Moves/Timing) all you want but if you don't apply that by reading or setting up the opponent you'll always get your ass handed to you and I think this is something that simply no " Mode " can teach you, if anybody has an idea of how, be my guest and suggest it.

Honestly its all they should teach you, part of what makes a fighting game fun, satisfying and interesting is devising new unique strategies and being inventive against your opponent.

I agree. Im shit at fighting games, utter shit. But thats really because I just haven't put the time in over the years while others have become godly. It'd be the same with any genre, I could teach you how to aim your gun and pull the trigger in an FPS but if thats all you went with in MP you'd get your ass kicked. With that being said the MP space in fighting games is by no means noob friendly as its certainly not as casual as most mainstream MP games. For now i'll just casually stick with the SP and watch the pros from afar xD

Lol when I saw the name of the thread, all I can think of is how many more words can they put into their game: Hyper Mega Ultra Super Duper Street Fighter V?

I agree. Im shit at fighting games, utter shit. But thats really because I just haven't put the time in over the years while others have become godly. It'd be the same with any genre, I could teach you how to aim your gun and pull the trigger in an FPS but if thats all you went with in MP you'd get your ass kicked. With that being said the MP space in fighting games is by no means noob friendly as its certainly not as casual as most mainstream MP games. For now i'll just casually stick with the SP and watch the pros from afar xD

That's partly the reason as to why the only fighting game I will ever enjoy playing is Super Smash Bros. (N64 or Wii/Wii U) because, in my opinion, this is the one fighting game where anyone can be able to pick it up and become a pro if they can be able to master their character.

• Like 1

So that means 99% of the game is locked behind a DLC paywall?

Actually, surprisingly enough, Capcom have been leading the way as far as DLC goes recently. Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen expansion had more content in it than some full $60 games do, and it was only $20. Resident Evil Revelations 2 is a perfect example of how to do microtransactions correctly. Selling revive crystals, but also giving them out daily for simple challenges.

That old, greedy, Capcom is gone. I'm sure we'll still see an Ultra SF5, but I doubt it'll get as ridiculous as SF4 was with all the versions.

As for this topic, it might be an actual story mode. I think MK9 showed a lot of people that stories can work in fighting games, and Capcom may try to do that for Street Fighter.

• Like 2