How does PSNProfiles connect with ps3?

I've been thinking of building a small app (for myself atleast) which would track my time spent in games and was wondering how to connect the app with ps3? I don't know is there any other way to see when I'm in game except in ps3 itself. So, how does this site do it? Or if someone could redirect me to contact information for these guys, because I can't find it.

P.S: Sorry if wrong subforum.

Use Raptr and link your PSN.

http://raptr.com

I got an email a few weeks back from them that basically stated they'll be dropping Xbox / PlayStation support due to most of their users being PC gaming focused, and citing some issues tracking stats for consoles I believe. 

Yeah, Raptr can't actually tack this either. It can for Xbox 360 and Xbox One but not for any PlayStation platform. And the issue with Xbox is that the timer starts at 0 hours and 0 minutes once you register at Raptr even though you might have already spent 250 hours in the game.

Edited by LucasV9991

Yeah, Raptr can't actually tack this either. It can for Xbox 360 and Xbox One but not for any PlayStation platform. And the issue with Xbox is that the timer starts at 0 hours and 0 minutes once you register at Raptr even though you might have already spent 250 hours in the game.

That's what I used a few years ago. :P

As far as I know, PSNP doesn't take the trophy data from your PS3 (or any other console for that matter). Instead, it talks to PSN to request trophy data for specific users once they're entered into the box on the home page or start an account.

Maybe speak to Sly. If there is a way of obtaining play-time data, especially for all users, I think it would be useful for the site. For example, the site could automatically take the median time (actual game-time) users took to obtain a platinum trophy and put that into the game's guides.

But as far as I know, PSN doesn't record this data, and PSNP only starts timing your "time taken to platinum" from the timestamp on your first trophy earned in a given game.

But as far as I know, PSN doesn't record this data, and PSNP only starts timing your "time taken to platinum" from the timestamp on your first trophy earned in a given game.

last time i checked this is correct... psn doesn't record playtime at all and so you can't really obtain it by any means.

IIRC Raptr was only logging playtime if the desktop app was running. they did it by basically logging in to PSN (you could also chat and see who's online with the raptr app) and watching what you were playing i guess. 

that info is always there if the person is online ("currently playing XY").

so one could do it by having some kind of dummy PSN account with a bot and everyone who wants to have their playtime logged, would have to add this PSNP logging bot as PSN friend. but you would have to implement some of the network protocol in your application (similar to Raptr or the official PSN app for smartphones) and i guess this would break many rules of the PSN terms of service etc. so this isn't exactly a valid option for a semi-official service like PSNP, unfortunately :(

but it would be technically possible!

@dernop

I know that psn doesn't track time, but I'd gladily do it manually if it was possible. Of course this wouldn't be retroactive, i.e. it would only start tracking your time from the moment you installed the app. I wanted to see if there is any way to "extract" the information that I'm playing XY game from a ps3 and use that information somwhere else, e.g. my app. 

For example, when I turn on Demon's Souls, my app would read name of the game that is being played and start counting time. If that game is already present in my database, when I finish playing it would just sum up amount of time I played with the amount saved in my database, and if it was the first time playing, it would save the game's name and amount of time I've played.

I don't think it would be too much of a trouble if only I could see from outside of ps3 that I'm playing some game at the moment.

• Like 1

@blindmango, still not sure if Sly will do it, it's not as if many were willing to help pay for it ...

to OP - sony doesn't track time spent in game, so it is impossible - the closest you can get is time from first to last trophy.

Edited by Memnoch

I don't think it would be too much of a trouble if only I could see from outside of ps3 that I'm playing some game at the moment.

yeah i basically got what you're trying to do, since i looked into that myself some time ago. i also find that topic quite interesting, but like i said there isn't really an option to "connect to your ps3" unless it's jailbroken and that's not really an option here i guess.

so just mimic what the raptr app is doing or reverse engi... err i mean take a REALLY CLOSE look at how the playstation android app is working (there are plenty of tools to take "really close looks" at android apps *cough*) and with this knowledge you should be able to just login to PSN with your app and track the activities of you and all your friends at least.

would be quite some work, thou i guess.

and don't get me wrong, i'm not advertising (or suggesting at all) that you should do it, since it's not exactly legal i guess plus against sonys TOS of course. it's just how it could, hypothetically, be done ;)