Drakengard 3: What can I expect?

I searched the PS3 game subforums and there was no Drakengard section, so I'm posting this here. I have never played a Drakengard game, nor its spin-off Nier. What can I expect going into this game? I just purchased the game today. Is it turn-based? free form combat? Are the levels linear or open world? How difficult is the game? Is there anything I should know before starting it?

Expect a lot of blood, violence, language, some sexual things, and raunchy dialogue. It's a damn amazing game though, IMO. And yes, Ending D is essentially a rhythm game, and one that will make you pissed at that.

I love all of those things. The rhythm though.... why the fuck does an action RPG even have that?

I love all of those things. The rhythm though.... why the fuck does an action RPG even have that?

From what I understand the rhythm section is a callback to the original Drakengard where a similar event takes place. Why it was there in the first place I can only assume was because series director Taro Yoko seems to be a bit of an eccentric. It's a rather frustrating level but personally I found it massively satisfying once I actually pulled it off.

One thing to note is that the altogether the DLC for this game is quite costly even if you're skipping out on the costumes and just buying the story based content, and while not completely vital to the main story I'd say at least Zero, One and Two's chapters are pretty important to fully understanding the game while Three, Four and Five's aren't that important on the grand scale of things but do help flesh out those characters a bit more.

Games are pretty sol I guess, lots of enemies to bash, I've only tried both and I didn't like the gameplay in Nier too sluggish. But Nier has amazing music though (bought all the OSTS). According to my friend Drakengard has a door which get locked, you have to beat lots of monster to open it then you go to next area and repeat. It was cool to ride a Dragon though, because Dragons. ^_^

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I'm on Branch C, Verse 3. This game is janky af. I kinda get annoyed when games dare to pose a challenge yet don't give fair tools to the gamer (stable framerate, decent camera, responsive controls which are tight to a decent level at least, etc). Freaking stood behind a solid canyon and the Cerberus's fire still touched me from the far ass end of the area, through the rocks, and onto Zero.

When you step into a Ferrari action game like DMC4 or MGR, at least the game throws challenges with integrity to software performance/user input.

Edited by Eraezr