How long do you think until PS3 support stops entirely?

ShadowStar83x

PSN for the PS3 isn't going anywhere.

If anything goes, it'll be the online play, years down the road.  There's almost zero chance of PSN as a whole on the PS3 going offline, unless it is on every platform (ie. Sony going under).  Their entire PS3 userbase losing their digital libraries would be incredibly bad PR for Sony and the network, and would make everyone seriously question buying their games from the PS Store going forward.  Something Sony really wouldn't want.

Edited by PleaseHoldOn

Games support probably be around mid 2016, it will still get games obviously but most of it will be sports games released even on mobile and the odd Japanese game. Even now Jap devs are starting to switch to ps4/vita with most new games. PSN support (online play) will probably be available for a long time still, I would think at least until 2019.

Edited by Tomato

I would think at least until 2019.

if it does last this long it'd be smart on Sony's end. for those who dislike the pay wall they have PS3 with all the games (most that get remastered) on it with free multiplayer to fall back on. this would make not only the PS4 sell for the new games, but for the free to play minority it will make the PS3 keep selling.

well online I say at least 10+yr

Games I'd say within 2-3years there will be no new PS3 games being made

Well if they made ps2 games for like 11years after the console was out and some can still be played online, then we should have good while left :)

When the costs of maintenance and/or support are higher than the money they gain from it.

The E3 announcement combined with the amount of remasters being released (and the fact they don't seem to stop doing it at all) might make the above happen sooner than later.

My personal estimate is 4-5 years.

Edited by Lord_of_Ra

• 6 months later...

I'd like the support to continue until 2018 at least, but I have a feeling they're gonna drop the PS3 entirely sometime this year or in 2017.

Thankfully I play most of my games offline, so as long as I can still download/install patches I'll survive without support.

I would say around 2025.

The Playstation 2 had a 14 year run, if you use that as a basis, the PS3 would run to 2020. Except the PS3 has a bigger fanbase at the moment, more people have PS3's than PS2's now, and the amount of online play the PS2 didn't nearly have, I'd give the PS3 a longer life in those terms relative to the PS2's. So 2020-2025. Edited by TigressLion

3vKJqc7.gif

The PS2 sold almost double what the PS3 did: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_million-selling_game_consoles

I worded it poorly, Yes they sold more. What I failed to further instate I mean, put of the 84 million PS3s, and 154 million PS2s, more of the 84 millions are being played than the 154 million today I presume. So the life is strong as long as there is a playerbase.

Since 154,000,000 were sold and played for a while it stayed with long life. So with a majority of the PS3s still being plaued maybe itll stay, though it did sell almost half. Haha.

• Like 1

There were a few big name PS3 releases late 2015 like Destiny, Black Ops 3, FIFA 16 but there's hardly anything on PS3 in 2016 compared to PS4. Yes there will probably be FIFA 17 on PS3 and perhaps the next Call of Duty but even that could be a doubt.

I like to keep up with the releases and 2016 will see the focus even more on PS4 if not altogether when you look at the games that will be released. As for PSN, I think like other people have already mentioned that it will still be available for years on PS3, This being the Store, PS Plus, PS Now and the Online Features on PS3 like Messaging Friends.

However the online servers for games are of course controlled by the Video Game companies and not Sony unless it's a PS3 exclusive so we'll definitely see more servers being closed over the next few years and don't be surprised if that does include some exclusives like Killzone or Uncharted since Sony are focused on PS4 now and the online servers for PS Home was shut down April 2015

Edited by JONNY-1992-_-

(...) put of the 84 million PS3s, and 154 million PS2s, more of the 84 millions are being played than the 154 million today I presume. So the life is strong as long as there is a playerbase.

Since it's more recent, it's par for the course that more people are still playing it.