We Play Devil May Cry HD

Up to the checkpoint. Finally caught up. Ill add to the discussion later on my laptop. Too hard on my phone

Discussion points 7-9

Did you take on Phantom at the beginning of Mission 7? If yes how did you finish him? If not did you try?

No I working for the no yellow orb play thru. so I just ran

Did the health drain effect you much? Did you attempt the secret mission 5 with or without the health drain?

I made it in plenty of time. and I went back to the secret mission after the drain. It might be possible with the drain but it took me quite a while for one to kill the other.

Did you beat Secret Mission 5? Did you find it difficult what technique did you use?

I just ran around the out side wall and taunted every once in a while to recharge my DT so I could regen some health.

How did you find the final showdown with Phantom? Did you find him easier or harder than he was in Chapter 3 or the chase scenes?

I thought he was about the same I didn't bother fighting him in the chase scenes 

Have you managed to get your S ranks for combos or for a mission yet?

The S rank weapon combos came naturally and I got the S rank on chapter 5. I've had a couple A ranks as well. 

How did you find the moveset for Ifrit? Are you using that weapon or Alastor more?

I loved the ifirit when i played the game way back when it first release on ps2. But I just cant seen to be effective with it now. So I'm sticking with alastor.

Griffon boss fight? Did he give you much trouble? What was your techinique and weapon set?

DT and hand guns and run around slow but it works.

Discussion points 10-15

How did you find secret mission 6 where you have to jump on the reapers to collect stuff?

Not too bad I jumped above the doorn then out towards the orb. Only took a few tries.

How are you doing in terms of finding blue orbs?

I walked past a few but I've been able to back track and find them all in the next level. Got them all so far.

How tough are you finding the Nelo Angelo boss battles he's the mirror guy we fought earlier adn reappears in mission 11?

I jump around a lot like crazy but Holy Water seemed to cut his health in half. Ive been searching all the corners for the pickups. I figured he was a good one to waste one on.

Did you manage to get the bookworm trophy yet?

It popped in the foggy woods looking area. I belive this is where the fetishes first appeared.

Did you find Griffon easier or harder on the Ghost ship?

About the same just run around and shoot with E&I

How did you find the underwater missions and mechanics?

Enemies didn't seem to do much damage and died rather quickly. I hate not having the option to invert controls though. :shakefist:

Did you manage to get the Untouchable trophy yet?

Back in Level 5 with the S rank

How did you find secret mission 8 (3 shadows in the spinning room of death)?

Pain in the butt. Anyone reading I still cant unlock the final diary entry for the shadow I've tried DT with the guns and it wont unlock any suggestions?

Final showdown with Griffon thoughts on difficulty compared to previous battles? What did you think of the cutscene and Dante's reaction?

Seemed to be a lot more electric stuff flying around this time. I tried using the 2nd and 3rd tiers of the Colosseum but I was constantly getting hit by stuff I couldn't see. I remember my jaw dropping when I originally played the game on ps2. I still expect a over the top DMC 3 style cut scene to happen in this game but never shows up.

Edited by Mr Incredible
  • Like 1

So here's the plan I'll set the checkpoint for Friday, then that means if people want they can start on their hard playthrough, I'm not going to kick up a fuss if people want to replay stuff or if people haven't finished the game (given how many times we need to complete the game we need the freedom to be able to do repeat playthroughs). From Friday I'll start setting checkpoints for Hard mode (I'll likely do my DMD run while following these, successive runs will be shorter as we'd have done a decent amount of the secret missions). Next Friday I'll open the thread for DMC2. Checkpoints if people still want them can continue for DMC1 and discussion will obviously still be open Ill be watching both threads. Any tips or advice needed, I'll be sure to give them. I'm sure Tony will be happy to help to and he's a pro at this and I think he said he wasn't playing DMC2.

Checkpoint 10 - Beat the Game (96 hours)

Given that Secret Mission 12 gives you a full blue orb and an optional key item I'd highly recommend doing it:

Missables:

Mission 21:

Twelfth Secret Mission: Hidden room behind the wall opposite the Time Statue.
Objective: Cross the long stretch of road and attain the final Blue Orb piece. A dragon will be waiting in the next area, and defeating it makes two Frosts spawn. Defeating them leaves the Time Bracelet yours for the taking. If you've beaten all secret mission up to this point you'll unlock trophy_gold.pngThe Secret’s Out.

Anyone reading I still cant unlock the final diary entry for the shadow I've tried DT with the guns and it wont unlock any suggestions?

That was fast for you to catch up.

Are you trying to use this FAQ, it covers the journal entries, honestly I haven't been trying yet I was hpoing I could get a decent amount of these from playing naturally:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/646887-devil-may-cry-hd-collection/faqs/32417

Edited by Superbuu3

Clear mission 10 :o. I was following it. I might try not attacking the orb at all. I've been trying it on the last shadow of the groups in the secret missions and I might have attacked the orb. Maybe that negates it. :huh:

Checkpoint 10 - Clear Mission 10 (96 hours)

Are you trying to use this FAQ, it covers the journal entries, honestly I haven't been trying yet I was hpoing I could get a decent amount of these from playing naturally:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/646887-devil-may-cry-hd-collection/faqs/32417

Thanks for pointing it out I fixed it. I guess I'll try and do this on the shadow in mission 5. If I wasn't lucky enough to get this by chance.

Awesome. I'll finish up this play thru tonight. what all other games do you have in mind for "We plays" just curious if I have any of them.

Firstly does anyone wanna hold off the plat so that we all do it in one go? I'm not 100% sure if this will be an easy thing to do or not, so I can't really comment on practicalities, I think Kittet mentioned something about the DMC anniversary for the date. But otherwise we could just pop it as a group anyways.

Awesome. I'll finish up this play thru tonight. what all other games do you have in mind for "We plays" just curious if I have any of them.

I don't really have a clue, but some basic ideas. Depending on how Ys goes, I might consider a JRPG, I wouldn't mind coop titles like borderlands series, Freedom wars or soul sacrifice delta. Other HD collections, especially the MGS series, although I think we really need to keep the pace up for that. Other wise we could take forever.

• Like 1

Just to recap, this Friday is checkpoints for hard mode and the next is for DMC2?

Yep, so from 10th June we'll be doing hard/DMD mode checkpoints its really up to you if you want to play more inbetween i'm not forcing people to or not, having a pace going though should help people push through.

17th June we start DMC 2, we'll be doing timed checkpoints again, you can apparently use cheats to shorten teh plat time especially on PAL version.

Yep, so from 10th June we'll be doing hard/DMD mode checkpoints its really up to you if you want to play more inbetween i'm not forcing people to or not, having a pace going though should help people push through.

17th June we start DMC 2, we'll be doing timed checkpoints again, you can apparently use cheats to shorten teh plat time especially on PAL version.

I'll just work on fully upgrading Dante and never dying in the game (Is easy auto. ideal for this?). As for DMC2, I'll be ready when the time comes but what kind of cheats are they? 

I'll just work on fully upgrading Dante and never dying in the game (Is easy auto. ideal for this?). As for DMC2, I'll be ready when the time comes but what kind of cheats are they? 

If you play on easy auto the game autoloops on easy auto and you can never change the difficulty. I guess in theory you could do it, but makes more sense to upgrade yourself on normal difficulties etc.

From what I remember you can unlock the higher difficulties if you're a masochist and want to take on the higher difficulties without dante upgraded. In the PAL version you can have infinite devil trigger in the Bloody Palace, I am not going to beat around the bush I'm using this cheat, reaching level 9000 in bloody palace would be tediously long without it.

Edited by Superbuu3

I got it. By the way, is bloody palace is just an extra mode that gives bonus outfits, etc.? I heard it's full of floors filled with randomly generated enemies. Basically is it manageable?

I'm not an expert on the matter at all, but I would say it is. you'd need to have a couple of hours free and use the 100 floor skip portal, I'd recommend having a yellow and max inventory. From what I remember floors ending in 0 had bosses, so you can actually  go 1, 101, 201, etc. and not have to deal with bosses. So yeah definitely manageable. You'd have to clear 90 rooms for the trophy that way. It would just be a long survival battle. Also if the game has autosave (I doubt it) obviously don't overwrite your save with all the items.

Dante in DMC2 has an insane number of invincible frames and you can just keep your distance and kill things. Its definitely the easiest of the games. I played that on PS2 and I hadn't played this one before but this seems a lot harder, although i remember some bosses on 2 being damage sponges barely taking damage adn fights being long.

Anyway we'll get into the ins and outs of that when we play that game.

I'm not an expert on the matter at all, but I would say it is. you'd need to have a couple of hours free and use the 100 floor skip portal, I'd recommend having a yellow and max inventory. From what I remember floors ending in 0 had bosses, so you can actually  go 1, 101, 201, etc. and not have to deal with bosses. So yeah definitely manageable. You'd have to clear 90 rooms for the trophy that way. It would just be a long survival battle. Also if the game has autosave (I doubt it) obviously don't overwrite your save with all the items.

Dante in DMC2 has an insane number of invincible frames and you can just keep your distance and kill things. Its definitely the easiest of the games. I played that on PS2 and I hadn't played this one before but this seems a lot harder, although i remember some bosses on 2 being damage sponges barely taking damage adn fights being long.

Anyway we'll get into the ins and outs of that when we play that game.

OK, thanks again.

Managed to beat it. Still as good as last time :)

Finished it to did all secret missions this game was great really enjoyed it.

The dialogue at the end of mission 22 made me laugh hard lol.

I should have saved you. I should have been the one to fill your dark soul with liiiiiiiiiiight!

All missions up to 22 are in first post 23 will be up tomorrow.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

anyone know if you can revert back to normal / easy after DMD mode? I only need a couple of the diary entries. Looking online, you can not get the final entry for the shadow on hard or DMD mode. Due to the fact the version ported to the HD collection wont let you land a critical strike on a shadow on Hard / DMD. 

If you can I'll need another play thru.

Do you just select automatic mode from the options menu? Or can you play on normal / easy with the super dante skin from beating DMD mode?

anyone know if you can revert back to normal / easy after DMD mode? I only need a couple of the diary entries. Looking online, you can not get the final entry for the shadow on hard or DMD mode. Due to the fact the version ported to the HD collection wont let you land a critical strike on a shadow on Hard / DMD. 

If you can I'll need another play thru.

Do you just select automatic mode from the options menu? Or can you play on normal / easy with the super dante skin from beating DMD mode?

After hard you can choose your difficulty. I hear recommendations of beating the game several times on normal so that you can have enough items to beat DMD.

Are we all ready to tackle Hard Mode or No ?

If so when do we start?

Anyone can do hard mode as they please, I'm going to set hard mode checkpoints, to help push those who are struggling to be motivated due to the games difficulty. Check the post above regarding checkpoint 10. I'll set the hard checkpoints in a few hours/tomorrow depending on time zone.

Hope that makes sense. I was personally intending to use these checkpoints as markers for my DMD run (although i doubt I could beat Hard mode that quickly lol).

• Like 1

Sorry I forgot to put a checkpoint up for Hard. I'll get some discussion points up soon.

Checkpoint 11 - Clear Mission 6 Hard (48 hours)

I know that a bit much but its the weekend so I thought people might wanna go further, I might add another 24 hours if people are struggling.

If you're missing any collectibles i.e. blue orbs consult the guide here

I think I'll pass on hard mode, I'm going to play normal mode again for the upgrades and no death trophy.

Also, are we going to have a discussion/thoughts on the game before moving to the next one, assuming everyone finished it of course? I think It'll be cool to talk about some good parts of the story, bosses, etc.  xD

Edited by NullRay85

I'm on mission 4 on Hard and the death scythe that shows up there is giving me a headache, admittedly

Discussion Points Mission 16-20 (sorry i've kinda arbitrarily chosen a cut off because it worked better for discussion):

Remember no comments regarding DMC3 until we get to that game

1. Thoughts on secret mission 9 and generally any mission that involves hopping on enemies?

2. Did you manage to beat secret Mission 10 the one with the shadows that are hiding?

3. Fighting the lightning enemies did you try to use alastor or switch to Ifrit?

4. How did your first encounter with the blob go, did you manage to figure out how to damage him?

5. During the nightmare fight did he drag you down to fight another boss? What tactics/weapons did you use?

6. Did you manage to beat Secret Mission 11 or even get to it?

7. Nelo Angelo final battle how did you fair? What weapons did you use?

8. What did you think of the reveal of Nelo Angelo's true Identity? What about Dante's reaction did it change your opinion on him? (Mission 17 cutscenes https://youtu.be/l1WTSVV4FGw?t=14m16s )

9. During the post battle cutscene showing Mundus and Trish, what do you think their relationship is? Who/what do you think Trish is?

10. Mission 18 underwater areas again and another Nightmare boss fight any comments?

11. What did you think of the nobodies (the weird transforming demons in mission 19, they move on all fours)? Did they give you any trouble?

12. How was your final encounter with Nightmare, did you find him much harder?

13. Thoughts on Dante and Trish after the post nightmare cutscene? (Mission 20 cutscene https://youtu.be/ch8PBTIVKVk?t=11m44s )

Edited by Superbuu3