We Play Devil May Cry HD

--Spoilers--

1. Thoughts on secret mission 9 and generally any mission that involves hopping on enemies?

it's good, but missions like these require careful timing.

2. Did you manage to beat secret Mission 10 the 3 shadows in the corridor of death?

Nope, I kinda struggled with most secret missions in the game.

3. Fighting the lightning enemies did you try to use alastor or switch to Ifrit? 

At first I tried Alastor then I went all-out Ifrit on them.  xD 

4. How did your first encounter with the blob go, did you manage to figure out how to damage him?

Nightmare? It took me a while and lots of vital starts to figure it out. 

5. During the nightmare fight did he drag you down to fight another boss? What tactics/weapons did you use?

Yes. It caught me off-guard for a moment and the next thing I was fighting Neo Angelo again.  :facepalm: 

6. Did you manage to beat Secret Mission 11 or even get to it?

No, I completly missed it. Hopefully, I'll get it in the next playthrough. 

7. Nelo Angelo final battle how did you fair? What weapons did you use?

It was a good one, especially the weapon you get afterwards.  I used Alastor and E&A.

8. What did you think of the reveal of Nelo Angelo's true Identity? What about Dante's reaction did it change your opinion on him? 

If you've played DMC3 you would have noticed this since the first fight. Also, doesn't his final form look like DmC's Vergil or vice versa? That Dante can be caring for family/friends just as he's having fun.

9. During the post battle cutscene showing Mundus and Trish, what do you think their relationship is? Who/what do you think Trish is?

It's a strict Master-Servant relationship. I kinda knew she was Mundus's pawn and that she set up Dante from the beginning. 

10. Mission 18 underwater areas again and another Nightmare boss fight any comments?

No comment. I really hated that mission, why put a crappy underwater section before a tedious boss?

11. What did you think of the nobodies (the weird transforming demons in mission 19, they move on all fours)? Did they give you any trouble?

They're a bit creative compared to the other demons Dante's fought. They do pose as trouble since I had to use Devil Trigger a lot of times. They're most annoying in the escape section.

12. How was your final encounter with Nightmare, did you find him much harder?

Nope. Since most of his patterns were the same, he was manageable. However, when Trish interfered, things got tangled a bit.

13. Thoughts on Dante and Trish after the post nightmare cutscene?

I seriously wasn't expecting Trish to get scolded by Dante like that.  :blink: However, he did talk some sense into her.

Thanks SuperBuu3 for the discussions in the game, they were a great way for all of us to communicate.  :lol: 

Edited by NullRay85
  • Like 1

Checkpoint 12 - Clear Mission 12 Hard (48 hours)

I haven't heard any complaints or really any comments >_>, so I'll just put this up. We're still sticking to the plan of starting DMC 2 on Friday. I will say I rage quit on Mission 4 on hard, but I also realised the missions are super short when you've played them through before.

If you're missing any collectibles i.e. blue orbs consult the guide here

Also I would recommend cleaning up the encyclopedia on normal afterwards, I tried to get a few entries on hard, but everything is doing a lot of damage.

Checkpoint 12 - Clear Mission 12 Hard (48 hours)

I haven't heard any complaints or really any comments >_>, so I'll just put this up. We're still sticking to the plan of starting DMC 2 on Friday. I will say I rage quit on Mission 4 on hard, but I also realised the missions are super short when you've played them through before.

Also I would recommend cleaning up the encyclopedia on normal afterwards, I tried to get a few entries on hard, but everything is doing a lot of damage.

I powered thru Hard mode this weekend, and I as well quite trying to do "I read you like a book" on hard due to the excessive damage taken. I'm back on normal grinding thru levels for items and red orbs.

I'm anxiously awaiting DMC2, to take a break from this one for a bit.

Edited by Mr Incredible

I powered thru Hard mode this weekend, and I as well quite trying to do "I read you like a book" on hard due to the excessive damage taken. I'm back on normal grinding thru levels for items and red orbs.

I'm anxiously awaiting DMC2, to take a break from this one for a bit.

Same here  :P Although it wasn't the most critically acclaimed or loved by fans, it still is worth a try.

Edited by NullRay85

Checkpoint 13 - Clear Mission 18 Hard (48 hours)

Again i'm not fussed if you want to push forward and try to finish the game on hard. We're still on for DMC2 on friday, so my checkpoints will overlap, it will be good if everyones cleared normal mode by at least then (ideally hard as then everyone will be ready to take on DMC difficulty in their own time).

• Like 1

I didn't see this we play until a bit after you guys started but i still used this thread while i was playing. Also Buu your vids helped as i got lost so many times. Currently im on DMD mode at the first nightmare fight. The last griffon fight was a bitch, you cant even see the damn pigeon when it flies.

I will look out for your DMC 2 we play and will probably join. Looks like fun :)  

I've added all discussion points to the first post, so anyone lagging can find them more easily :D. Also updated the first post to show everyone's current progress. Do remember continue to discuss or ask for help here if needed as DMD is going to be a grueling task.

Also I managed to defeat Nelo Angelo it was a very testing time. I'm just going to put up the next checkpoint now, as i dunno when I'll be back on.

Checkpoint 14 - Clear the Game Hard (No specified time limit)

Hopefully some of you guys are able to manage this. This thread is staying open so we will be discussing how we plan to take on DMD mode. I personally will likely work on completing the encyclopedia on a normal run and just try to collect more untouchables/holy waters/devil stars/yellow orbs to make DMD more bearable, I've tried my best to not use any on my normal/hard run as I suspected I'd really need loads on DMD.

Discussion Points Mission 21-23:

Did you manage to beat Secret Mission 12 and Acquire the Bangle of Time? Did you work out how to use it and did you actually bother to use it?

How did you find the Living Cave level did you end up getting lost?

What did you think when you saw Trish imprisoned? Did you expect her to aid Dante?

Did you like the flying level with Mundus?

Thoughts on the battle with Mundus after the flying section?

Who did you think was the hardest boss? Who was your favourite boss?

By the end of the game what were your favourite/most used weapons?

Did you end up using the Sparda blade at all o do you plan to use it in hard difficulty?

Who or what do you think Trish is?

Were you suprised by Trish's survival?

Thoughts on the absolute final showdown with Mundus?

What did you think of the plane level? Did you think it was a good way to end the game?

Thoughts on the new name for the shop?

I didn't see this we play until a bit after you guys started but i still used this thread while i was playing. Also Buu your vids helped as i got lost so many times. Currently im on DMD mode at the first nightmare fight. The last griffon fight was a bitch, you cant even see the damn pigeon when it flies.

I will look out for your DMC 2 we play and will probably join. Looks like fun :)  

The DMC 2, is supposed to be starting on Friday, which I think it is for you already. I'll have to write up a post, but it should be up within 12 hours.

My answers:

Mission 10-15

How did you find secret mission 6 where you have to jump on the reapers to collect stuff?

I guess its decent to have variety, it didn't give me trouble as I had Air Hike

How are you doing in terms of finding blue orbs?

I managed to collect them all

How tough are you finding the Nelo Angelo boss battles he's the mirror guy we fought earlier adn reappears in mission 11?

I think he's the toughest boss by far.

Did you manage to get the bookworm trophy yet?

Yes

Did you find Griffon easier or harder on the Ghost ship?

Easier on the ghost ship

How did you find the underwater missions and mechanics?

It's terrible I was about to say i'm glad they got rid of these, but then I remember they do something similar in 2, well at least its not 1st person.

Did you manage to get the Untouchable trophy yet?

Nope I ended up getting this on hard.

How did you find secret mission 8 (3 shadows in the spinning room of death)?

This was a pretty tricky mission, I ended up doing it twice as my recording messed up, it seems very luck based as the first tiem i did it I had to fight all three at the same time the second time (the one on video) the enemies lined up so i could fight them one on one and it was a lot easier.

Final showdown with Griffon thoughts on difficulty compared to previous battles? What did you think of the cutscene and Dante's reaction?

I ended up wrecking him with the nightmare Beta I don't really understand the mechanics of the weapon. I was suprised thata Dante showed compassion as he seemed genuinely annoyed. I liked it though as it shows he isn't one dimensional.

Discussion Points Mission 16-20

1. Thoughts on secret mission 9 and generally any mission that involves hopping on enemies?

I didn't mind it this one was very easy so was fine by me :D

2. Did you manage to beat secret Mission 10 the one with the shadows that are hiding?

Yep, I actually found this harder then the one with the spinning corridor of death (as I didn't actually go into the corridor), although that said there was really no reason for this one to be harder you have a lot more space and a lot less hazards. You also fight less shadows at a time. I have no idea why i found it harder.

3. Fighting the lightning enemies did you try to use alastor or switch to Ifrit?

I used Ifrit, i suspected Alastor would be weak against them.

4. How did your first encounter with the blob go, did you manage to figure out how to damage him?

I think I wrecked him pretty quickly I didn't understand the mechanics then and I still haven't really :/. All I know is you need the light on to hurt him.

5. During the nightmare fight did he drag you down to fight another boss? What tactics/weapons did you use?

Yes in every fight and I ended up using my tried and tested method of DT rushing.

6. Did you manage to beat Secret Mission 11 or even get to it?

Oh wow, this was a pain in the ass to get to, I have no idea how i made it as I fell into that chasm so many times elsewhere. The actual mission seemed luck based and was easier then triggering the mission.

7. Nelo Angelo final battle how did you fair? What weapons did you use?

This was an insanely difficult battle and I needed to use a vital star to beat him (I used an untouchable right at the end of the battle on hard as I found him so tough)

8. What did you think of the reveal of Nelo Angelo's true Identity? What about Dante's reaction did it change your opinion on him? (Mission 17 cutscenes https://youtu.be/l1WTSVV4FGw?t=14m16s )

I thought it was really sad. Its Dante's brother and he even seemed to respect teh demon before the fight started, which makes it seem even sadder.

9. During the post battle cutscene showing Mundus and Trish, what do you think their relationship is? Who/what do you think Trish is?

I think Trish is Eva Dante's mum and has been bent to his will somehow like Vergil was (admittedly later scenes made this opinion change)

10. Mission 18 underwater areas again and another Nightmare boss fight any comments?

I hate underwater sections and surprisingly nightmare to :P

11. What did you think of the nobodies (the weird transforming demons in mission 19, they move on all fours)? Did they give you any trouble?

These enemies were tough especially the transformed version, i hated the fact they damage you in their death animation

12. How was your final encounter with Nightmare, did you find him much harder?

The last phase in this third fight was slightly troublesome I still think he was easier than Vergil

13. Thoughts on Dante and Trish after the post nightmare cutscene? (Mission 20 cutscene https://youtu.be/ch8PBTIVKVk?t=11m44s )

I have nothing but respect for how awesome Dante is, his reaction was great and I really liked how he handled the situation.

Edited by Superbuu3

Did you manage to beat Secret Mission 12 and Acquire the Bangle of Time? Did you work out how to use it and did you actually bother to use it?

Yes I beat the level, allthoug i felt dump trying to find a way to beat the skeleton dragon thing by hitting the fire back at him like the one earlier in the game. I tried using it to get the last diary entry on the shadow to no avail on hard mode.

How did you find the Living Cave level did you end up getting lost?

I loved that level from when i origionally played the game back on ps2. I didn't get lost.

What did you think when you saw Trish imprisoned? Did you expect her to aid Dante?

Again I've played the game before so I knew what was going to happen before it happened.

Did you like the flying level with Mundus?

No, I have when games throw in brand new mechanics in a game for a final boss battle. Much like sly cooper 1

Thoughts on the battle with Mundus after the flying section?

A much better boss battle, allthough all the round shooting orbs are annoying as heck.

Who did you think was the hardest boss? Who was your favourite boss?

Nightmare is hands down the hardest/most annoying boss. Nero Angelo 3rd encounter has to be the best fight in the game

By the end of the game what were your favourite/most used weapons?

Shotgun / E&I   and Alastor

Did you end up using the Sparda blade at all o do you plan to use it in hard difficulty?

I prefer to keep Alastor equipped for the double jump ability

Who or what do you think Trish is?

Just a person/demon created by Mundas to manipulate Dante

Thoughts on the absolute final showdown with Mundus?

I would have preferred the final encounter to be just a little more difficult

What did you think of the plane level? Did you think it was a good way to end the game?

No, because it raises the question How the heck did they even get to this island in the first place if they need a plane to get off of it.

Thoughts on the new name for the shop?

Devil May Cry sounds better :D

• Like 1

Buu is this We Play finished?

Not really as the topic is still open while people are still playing and I don't think anyone is getting the plat any time soon.

I think discussion will open up again when people attempt to tackle DMD mode. By the time DMC 3 is going to be starting up this will end, as a lot of people just wanted to skip DMC2.

Encyclopedia seems tricky. The one thats bugging me the most is strangely the sin scythes. They seem to refuse to do the move i'm suppsed to patiently wait for.

Also anyone know how to stun the sin scythes to get the one shot kill? I'm getting one shot kills but they odn't seem to count.

I'm quoting you to get your attn :P

Edited by Superbuu3

I reach the checkpoint 2 (Im in mission 6). And I go to grind some red orbs. Some hours repeating this mission do the thing jajaja

There's an area in mission 11 where you jump down a hole, thats probably the easiest location to grind red orbs, as there's a bunch of lizards you can beat up easily and get a decent combo up against.

• Like 1

Encyclopedia seems tricky. The one thats bugging me the most is strangely the sin scythes. They seem to refuse to do the move i'm suppsed to patiently wait for.

Also anyone know how to stun the sin scythes to get the one shot kill? I'm getting one shot kills but they odn't seem to count.

I'm quoting you to get your attn :P

I though i might share what i found. If you are referring to the umbrella move i tried waiting for ages as well with no luck until a read a tip that suggested weakening them with ebony and ivory and within a minute they did the move as well as the grab that follows.

For the stun it is the same as the scissors hit scythe with alastor then you have to position yourself so your gun (i used shotgun) is facing its head. you may need to jump to get a critical hit. I have also heard bullets can also stun them but cant confirm this. Hope this helps

• Like 1

I though i might share what i found. If you are referring to the umbrella move i tried waiting for ages as well with no luck until a read a tip that suggested weakening them with ebony and ivory and within a minute they did the move as well as the grab that follows.

For the stun it is the same as the scissors hit scythe with alastor then you have to position yourself so your gun (i used shotgun) is facing its head. you may need to jump to get a critical hit. I have also heard bullets can also stun them but cant confirm this. Hope this helps

I think i stunned them by jumping and hitting triangle for the downward slash.

But i'll admit I got all but a handfull just playing normally.

Thanks a lot guys your help here allowed me to get the last 3 i needed for Sin Scythes. I already did sahdows so hopefully there's nothing ocmplicated left.

EDIT: Got I read you like a Book

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 2

There's an area in mission 11 where you jump down a hole, thats probably the easiest location to grind red orbs, as there's a bunch of lizards you can beat up easily and get a decent combo up against.

Well, that really was helpful, I am in Mission 11 on Normal difficulty with some 47,000 red orbs. Maybe buy all abilities. I have a lot of patience when it comes to farm lel

So after avoiding my PS3 for awhile due to this game I finally threw myself back into it, and actually enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip on mission 11 grind, spent a fair while doing that to level up stuff and actually pushed through to mission 15 ( that secret mission has finished me for tonight). Will be back tomorrow to push through to end so I can join you guys in hard play through

Also Superbuu thanks for your videos ...... Really helpful

So after avoiding my PS3 for awhile due to this game I finally threw myself back into it, and actually enjoyed it. Thanks for the tip on mission 11 grind, spent a fair while doing that to level up stuff and actually pushed through to mission 15 ( that secret mission has finished me for tonight). Will be back tomorrow to push through to end so I can join you guys in hard play through

Also Superbuu thanks for your videos ...... Really helpful

:D I'm really glad people are still trying, even if the harder difficulties are too rough, I'm very hesitant to even bother with DMD, I know you guys can all make it through normal.

Made it to mission 20, will finish normal play through tomorrow ....... I am really starting to find this game frustrating, especially the stupid camera angles.

Just a question how much " harder " is hard mode

If you got cash to buy the blue orbs (I bought them tactically to recharge health if i needed a boost mid level) its not too bad. Also here's a tip if you used your vital star buy one before you finish your normal run, as it costs a lot more on hard.

I also made sure I didn't fully upgrade purple orbs so I could buy one before Mission 22 (you won't need to exploit this on normal but it will be helpful on hard and DMD).

All round i'd say hard was tricky but not too bad only third Nelo angelo fight was a problem, nightmare I wrecked each time on normal and hard, although i was told he was the hardest boss.

Also great work man, i'm glad to see you push on through to beat normal.

Edited by Superbuu3