We Play Devil May Cry HD

1ZomHwa.png

Banner by Floriiss

Do not come into the thread to tell people how you dispatched of certain enemies unless they ask you, any posts breaking this rule or that ruins the enjoyment of the group will be reported to mods.

This starts tomorrow, but for confusing reasons I needed to put this thread up on Thursday due to a request :). Also due to timezones I know a few of you will be starting sooner than most.

Separate threads will be made when we start DMC 2 and 3 so that people will remain on topic in the individual threads.

Anyone who wants to join, you may use the Devil May Cry HD Collection sign up thread here, unlike the other sign up threads this one will remain open until we start DMC 3. If you want to send an enquiry after that date, send me a PM or use this thread here . Anyone who invades this thread breaking this simple request will likely be added to my ignore list and effectively banned from all future playthroughs, this also includes anyone who puts spoilers in the thread, beyond the point we've played up to.

This starts Friday 19th June, if you don't have the game I'll be uploading videos as I go through the game feel free to watch them if you want to join in on discussion of the game, don't discuss anything beyond the current checkpoint. I have tried to remove every single trace of anything that seemed like it could be a spoiler so don't worry about getting spoilers reading through this post.

Before We Start:

DMC HD takes three playthroughs to platinum normal, hard and DMD difficulty need to be beaten seperately.

Source for trophy information here and the enemy FAQ here

1.Missable Trophies:

Note you need to perform an S rank combo with each Alastor and Ifrit, neither trophy is really missable as you can get these at any time on any plathrough.

Never lower the difficulty if the game offers you the opportunity as it will force your game into an endless loop on Easy.

a )The Devil Made Me Do It - Finish the game without using any yellow orbs, if you use one simply reload your save and restart the mission.

b )Can you keep a Secret?, The Secret Six, The Secrets Out - Complete all secret missions. All locations are listed here. but I will also tell you which ones are available at each checkpoint.

c )The Devil's in the Details - Purchase all upgrades (this might not be missable I need to discuss this with an experienced player).

d )Bookworm, I read you like a Book - unlock all entries for the enemy files in the status menu there is a guide here

e )Gun Collector - Collect all guns locations listed below:

Ebony + Ivory - Dante’s guns from the very beginning.

Shotgun - Find this on a table in the library across from the Sin Scissor picture, Mission 2.

Grenade Gun - After defeating Phantom in Mission 8, in the mechanism room shortly afterwards, grab the Grenade Gun from the skeleton.

The Needle Gun - Mission 12, in the area with stairs leading up to the deck of the ship, grab the Needle Gun, which is near the stairs and is shining.

Nightmare Beta - In Mission 15, you will go into one of the Emblem areas (Blue or Red) and get a storyline-related item, Pair Of Lances. If you choose to go through the other as well, the item at the end will always be Nightmare Beta.

f  )Smashing Sensation and Untouchable - Best to go for these at the same time for Smashing Sensation you need to S rank any mission and Untouchable you need to complete a mission without getting injured. Mission 5 and 13 are the shortest and therefore the most sensible missions to do these on.

Guidelines:

1. We only play up to the agreed milestone, I think if we leave people behind the group will fall apart, if people fall behind we will continue, but i do hope he others will try to keep up.

2. If you do meet an agreed story milestone, try to focus on any collectibles.

3. Let us know in the thread if you meet a milestone so we can tell if everything is running smoothly, if you're having trouble with a boss or particular enemies try to ask in the thread first before consulting a guide, this is mainly to keep the talk on the game still open.

4. If you have any suggestions I'm completely open to them.

5. Anyone who wants to join, you may use the DMC sign up thread, unlike other sign up threads this one will be open until we start DMC 3. If you want to send an enquiry after that date, send me a PM. Anyone who invades this thread breaking this simple request will likely be added to my ignore list and effectively banned from all future playthroughs, this also includes anyone who puts spoilers in the thread, beyond the point we've played up to.

Group members:

1. Superbuu3 (Checkpoint 13)
  2. AlexisAguirrez
  3. Chuck (Checkpoint 10)
  4. cjshaitan (Checkpoint 5)
  5. J2V_89 (Checkpoint 1) dropped out
  6. Jeandeve
  7. Kittet3 (Checkpoint 7)
  8. Kyomi-Okami (Checkpoint 1)
  9. L33N3WB3
  10. Maftet  Struggling to keep up in multiple playthroughs
  11. Mr Incredible (Checkpoint 14)
  12. NullRay85 (Checkpoint 10) decided against playing on hard for now
  13. OroBros (Checkpoint 1)
  14. Ryuzaki1993 (Checkpoint 7)
  15. Saltyie (Checkpoint 1)
  16. Tony Redgrave (Checkpoint 14)

Joining Late:

Previous Checkpoints:

Checkpoint 1 - Complete Mission 3 (Completed 10 out of 13)
Missables:

Shotgun - Find this on a table in the library across from the Sin Scissor picture, Mission 2.
First Secret Mission: When you reach mission 3 on the Broken Bridge, after defeating Phantom. Underwater. Objective: Defeat the Sin Scissors by hitting its weak point.

Checkpoint 2 - Complete Mission 4 (Completed 4 out of 13)
Missables:

Second Secret Mission: Hall where the Phantom battle takes place. Objective: Kill 100 Phantom Babies in a set time limit.
Third Secret Mission: AFTER completing Secret Mission 2! Hall with the Time Statue at the other end, Mission 4 beginning point. Objective: Kill 100 Phantom Babies in a set time limit using NO weapons.
Fourth Secret Mission: After defeating Shadow. Arena below the airplane room. Objective: Defeat all three Shadows.

Checkpoint 3 - Complete Mission 6 (Completed 0 out of 13)

There are no secret missions. Mission 5 is apparently very short and a possible location for the Untouchable (no injury) and Smashing Sensation (S rank a stage) trophy.

Checkpoint 4 - Complete Mission 8 (Time based)

Missables:

Mission 7:

Fifth Secret Mission: Where the Old Key is found in Mission 6, in the pipe room. Objective: Let one Kyclops kill the other.

Tip: You can get rid of the guiding light then come back so youdon'thave to deal with the health drain.

Mission 8:

Grenade Gun - After defeating Phantom in Mission 8, in the mechanism room shortly afterwards, grab the Grenade Gun from the skeleton.

Checkpoint 5 - Clear Mission 9 (24 hours)

Its only one mission, so should be beatable in less than 10 minutes, but I'm keeping up the pace.

No Secret Missions. No guns.

Checkpoint 6 - Clear Mission 11 (48 hours)

Missables:

Mission 11

Sixth Secret Mission: Clear the first room and return through the door to where Mission 10 ended. Objective: Get the Blue Orb piece in the air.
NOTE: If you are going in this order, you should unlock trophy_silver.pngThe Secret Six after completing this Secret Mission.

Checkpoint 7 - Clear Mission 12 (24 hours)

Missables:

Mission 12

The Needle Gun - Mission 12, in the area with stairs leading up to the deck of the ship, grab the Needle Gun, which is near the stairs and is shining.

Checkpoint 8 - Clear Mission 15 (72 hours)

Note mission 13 is a good place to get Smashing Sensation or Untouchable.

Missables:

Mission 13 (This sounds like its during the intermission):

Seventh Secret Mission: Post-Mission 13. Return to the Captain’s Room on the ghost ship and check out the Captain’s skeleton. Objective: Defeat all 8 enemies (Blades) underwater.

Mission 15 (read both mission and weapon location together as I'm not certain of the order which you can find these, it might be a simple case of turning around for the secret mission):

Eighth Secret Mission: Check the picture wall in the rolling-spike trap room from Mission 14.
Objective: Defeat all enemies (3 Shadows).

Nightmare Beta - In Mission 15, you will go into one of the Emblem areas (Blue or Red) and get a storyline-related item, Pair Of Lances. If you choose to go through the other as well, the item at the end will always be Nightmare Beta.

Checkpoint 9 - Clear Mission 18 (48 hours)

Missables:

Mission 16:

Ninth Secret Mission: after defeating Nightmare. Airplane room. Objective: Locate and defeat all the hidden Shadows. (2 in Airplane Room, 1 in Hallway, 1 in Bridge Room)
Mission 16 or Mission 17:

Tenth Secret Mission: after defeating Nightmare. In the Coliseum. Objective: Attain the Blue Orb piece by climbing a long, frustrating flight of stairs.
Mission 17:

Eleventh Secret Mission: on the Broken Bridge. To activate the Mission is the tricky bit, though. Move from the dead end to the door end without falling once, over the floating pieces. Jumping onto the door end will automatically activate the Secret Mission. Objective: Using jump pools released by Death Scythes, reach the top and attain the Blue Orb piece.

Checkpoint 10 - Beat the Game (96 hours)

Given that Secret Mission 12 gives you a full blue orb and an optional key item I'd highly recommend doing it:

Missables:

Mission 21:

Twelfth Secret Mission: Hidden room behind the wall opposite the Time Statue.
Objective: Cross the long stretch of road and attain the final Blue Orb piece. A dragon will be waiting in the next area, and defeating it makes two Frosts spawn. Defeating them leaves the Time Bracelet yours for the taking. If you've beaten all secret mission up to this point you'll unlock trophy_gold.pngThe Secret’s Out.

No one is obligated to beat hard mode this is just  to help people keep up a decent pace, do note you are free to move on to Hard and DMD mode as you please now the game is cleared.

Checkpoint 11 - Clear Mission 6 Hard

Checkpoint 12 - Clear Mission 12 Hard

Checkpoint 13 - Clear Mission 18 Hard

Checkpoint 14 - Clear the Game Hard (No specified time limit)

Discussion Points:

Mission 1-3

1. First impressions of Dante?
2. Do you think the game has aged well graphically and gameplay wise?
3. What did you think of the opening scene and the scene where you get Alastor?
4. What weapons are you using?
5. What did you think of the Phantom boss fight? Did you have difficulty? Did you have any particular method to beat him?
6. What do you think of the voice acting?
7. Did you manage to beat the first secret mission? Did it take you many tries?
8. Do you think you would've found the Shotgun if you weren't told about it?
9. What did you upgrade first? Did you manage to get any other upgrades?

Mission 4-6

1. How many secret missions have you cleared up to this point (there's been 4)? Which did you have the most difficulty with?

2. Do you think the second Dante was from the mirror, an entity in itself or something connected to Dante?

3. Which was the toughest boss fight (phantom mission 3, mirror dude, skull face - I obviously made up two of those names) ?

4. Did you fight Phantom in the corridor in Mission 4 or run?

5. Have you gotten used to the combat mechanics yet?

6. How you finding the difficulty now?

7. Have you managed to get S ranks yet?

Mission 7-9

Did you take on Phantom at the beginning of Mission 7? If yes how did you finish him? If not did you try?

Did the health drain effect you much? Did you attempt the secret mission 5 with or without the health drain?

Did you beat Secret Mission 5? Did you find it difficult what technique did you use?

How did you find the final showdown with Phantom? Did you find him easier or harder than he was in Chapter 3 or the chase scenes?

Have you managed to get your S ranks for combos or for a mission yet?

How did you find the moveset for Ifrit? Are you using that weapon or Alastor more?

Griffon boss fight? Did he give you much trouble? What was your techinique and weapon set?

Mission 10-15

How did you find secret mission 6 where you have to jump on the reapers to collect stuff?

How are you doing in terms of finding blue orbs?

How tough are you finding the Nelo Angelo boss battles he's the mirror guy we fought earlier adn reappears in mission 11?

Did you manage to get the bookworm trophy yet?

Did yo ufind Griffon easier or harder on the Ghost ship?

How did you find the underwater missions and mechanics?

Did you manage to get the Untouchable trophy yet?

How did you find secret mission 8 (3 shadows in the spinning room of death)?

Final showdown with Griffon thoughts on difficulty compared to previous battles? What did you think of the cutscene and Dante's reaction?

Mission 16-20

1. Thoughts on secret mission 9 and generally any mission that involves hopping on enemies?

2. Did you manage to beat secret Mission 10 the one with the shadows that are hiding?

3. Fighting the lightning enemies did you try to use alastor or switch to Ifrit?

4. How did your first encounter with the blob go, did you manage to figure out how to damage him?

5. During the nightmare fight did he drag you down to fight another boss? What tactics/weapons did you use?

6. Did you manage to beat Secret Mission 11 or even get to it?

7. Nelo Angelo final battle how did you fair? What weapons did you use?

8. What did you think of the reveal of Nelo Angelo's true Identity? What about Dante's reaction did it change your opinion on him? (Mission 17 cutscenes https://youtu.be/l1WTSVV4FGw?t=14m16s )

9. During the post battle cutscene showing Mundus and Trish, what do you think their relationship is? Who/what do you think Trish is?

10. Mission 18 underwater areas again and another Nightmare boss fight any comments?

11. What did you think of the nobodies (the weird transforming demons in mission 19, they move on all fours)? Did they give you any trouble?

12. How was your final encounter with Nightmare, did you find him much harder?

13. Thoughts on Dante and Trish after the post nightmare cutscene? (Mission 20 cutscene https://youtu.be/ch8PBTIVKVk?t=11m44s )

Mission 21-23:

Did you manage to beat Secret Mission 12 and Acquire the Bangle of Time? Did you work out how to use it and did you actually bother to use it?

How did you find the Living Cave level did you end up getting lost?

What did you think when you saw Trish imprisoned? Did you expect her to aid Dante?

Did you like the flying level with Mundus?

Thoughts on the battle with Mundus after the flying section?

Who did you think was the hardest boss? Who was your favourite boss?

By the end of the game what were your favourite/most used weapons?

Did you end up using the Sparda blade at all o do you plan to use it in hard difficulty?

Who or what do you think Trish is?

Were you suprised by Trish's survival?

Thoughts on the absolute final showdown with Mundus?

What did you think of the plane level? Did you think it was a good way to end the game?

Thoughts on the new name for the shop?

We start on Friday 19th June, hope that covers everything and most importantly have fun.

We Play videos:

Playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWMHC3lPhET1GKkiF80R1jd0YOXIey_ox

Videos with all collectibles:

Mission 1-5 Normal

Mission 1:

Mission 2:

Mission 3 (Secret Mission 1):

Mission 4 (Secret mission 2-4):

Mission 5 (Smashing Sensation):

Mission 6-10:

Mission 6

Mission 7 (secret mission 5):

Mission 8:

Mission 9 (Thunderstruck):

Mission 10 (Bookworm Unlocked):

Mission 11-15:

Mission 11 (Hot as Hell and Secret Mission 6)

Mission 12:

Mission 13:

Mission 14 (Secret Mission 7):

Mission 15 (Secret Mission 8 and Gun collector):

Mission 16-20

Mission 16 (Secret Mission 9 and 10) I also completely wreck the boss in this one:

Mission 17 (Secret Mission 11):

Mission 18:

Mission 19

Mission 20

Mission 21-23

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

After trying the first secret mission 3000000 times, I just can't do it.

There's probably a trick to it, i'll probably start this in a few hours so I'll comment then. You can always do the missions later on hard, which I might end up doing to be honest as I am sure these missions will be easier with a full move set and a better understanding of the combat system.

There's probably a trick to it, i'll probably start this in a few hours so I'll comment then. You can always do the missions later on hard, which I might end up doing to be honest as I am sure these missions will be easier with a full move set and a better understanding of the combat system.

It might be better to grab all of these on your first playthrough, because the upgrades will help make the other playthroughs easier. Especially for anyone who isn't as good at these games, like myself. I got stuck on Mission 3 or 4 of my second playthrough, and regretted not getting all the upgrades on my first run of the game. Also, I can't remember any of the missions that would have been really any easier by being upgraded. But it's also been awhile since I've played DMC 1, so take this as you will.

We'll be starting 2 and 3 after we do this dunno if you want to join us for that.

Perhaps, but then I am starting 2 and 3 after mine. I might be finished with 2 by the time you guys are done with 1. Ah well. Enjoy the game.

Checkpoint 1 reached xD I had to try that first secret mission a couple of times before understanding how should it be completed =_="

EDIT: Buu, are we going to wait until everyone hits checkpoint 1 or are we going to do like Bioshock's run?

Edited by Ryuzaki1993
  • Like 1

I reached checkpoint no. 1 yesterday. It took me few tries till i learnt Phantom's move set, but then i completed mission 3 with a S rank. I couldn't find the secret mission during mission 3 because it ends right after killing the boss.

• Like 1

I reached checkpoint no. 1 yesterday. It took me few tries till i learnt Phantom's move set, but then i completed mission 3 with a S rank. I couldn't find the secret mission during mission 3 because it ends right after killing the boss.

You have to do some backtracking before taking the right door. It is exactly where Buu has written in his first post :-)

This starts tomorrow, but for confusing reasons I needed to put this thread up on Thursday due to a request :). Also due to timezones I know a few of you will be starting sooner than most.

Confusing? I thought the reasons were perfectly simple :D

Checkpoint 1 reached. Missable number one picked up. Missable number two (secret mission) missed.

Is there a way to redo a mission?

Is there a way to get to the main menu screen from in-game? Tried for several minutes before I hard quit.

Special shoutout to the puppet that tried to shoot me while I was surrounded by three of his buddies :facepalm:  They are not his buddies anymore :D

And the fact that enemies respawn is not helpful when your lost :(

EDIT: I went back to an earlier save and tried to find the secret mission and I can't rekill Phantom. The first time I did it no sweat, by I must've gotten lucky.

Edited by Kittet3
  • Like 2

I thought that you could open the main menu by using the Select button pause, but I need to verify that :-)

Tell me what you find, It's getting unenjoyable to have to keep hard closing, although I think I already attempted this. I spent several minutes finding every button that said 'exit', only to find out it literally meant 'exit' the menu (This, of course, makes perfectly sense since you can't exit the menu by pressing the open menu button /sarcasm) :shakefist::facepalm:

EDIT: I went back to an earlier save and tried to find the secret mission and I can't rekill Phantom. The first time I did it no sweat, by I must've gotten lucky.

Kittet3 I hear ya, not going to take the risk that my button mashing powers would survive another round with Phantom just yet.

After killing the spider the first time, I was like- okay, let's find phantom. Then, I went to my menu and say that the spider was Phantom! After rechecking my difficulty, I was sure everyone was playing some kind of joke. But now, I can barely get a hit in when it attacks! Seriously must have been a flunk the first time. Finally, after the fifth or sixth retry, I managed to defeat him and find the secret mission- only to run out of health just as I realized A) What I was suppose to do and B)How to shoot the gun. I like to think I have pretty good button mashing skills, but I might actually be getting worse  :blink: 

PS: Press the 'quote' button on the bottom of the post you want to quote :D

BTW Superbuu, super confusing information in the first post- when is the sign up thread closing?

unlike the other sign up threads this one will remain open until we start DMC 3.

Anyone who wants to join, you may use the DMC sign up thread, until Sunday 21st June when it will be closed

:hmm:(Unless it's a trick to see if new people read the guidelines :ninja: I'm eager to see if the sign up actually closes now. /conspiracy

• Like 3