We Play Devil May Cry HD

Q1: First Impressions of Dante?

I liked the younger laid-back, funny, and bad-ass Dante of DMC3. It's great seeing him matured a bit while still retaining his humor in DMC1. Overall, it's good to have Dante back.

Q2:  Do you think the game has aged well graphically and gameplay wise?

For an early PS2 game, it still looks great by today's standards. The HD Remaster polishes things a bit, but could have done better. The hack-and-slash gameplay is good but the platforming sections at times are a pain to do. Also, the fixed camera angles takes a while to get used to. Personally, visuals take a second place compared to gameplay.

Q3: What did you think of the opening scene and the scene where you get Alastor?

They're both pretty neat. The opening scene gives the player a taste of the action and characters, also shows what the actual 'Devil May Cry' is. The scene where you get Alastor is nice and shows some of Dante's superhuman powers.

Q4: What weapons are you using?

The shotgun/ grenade launcher and Alastor are among the best weapons in the game and the ones I'm using. They get the job done when it comes to mowing down large hordes of enemies.

Q5: What did you think of the Phantom boss fight? Did you have difficulty? Did you have any particular method to beat him?

It was a good warm-up. I kept dying the first times but managed to prevail. Using Devil Trigger and charging onto him is the most effective way to beat him.

Q6:  What do you think of the voice acting?

It's was good back in 2001 and holds up well a bit today. There were times I couldn't hear what Dante was saying, they should have included more subtitles for the main character.

Q7: Did you manage to beat the first secret mission? Did it take you many tries?

No, I believe I missed it.

Q8:  Do you think you would've found the Shotgun if you weren't told about it?

I found the shotgun while exploring, it was by chance.

Q9: What did you upgrade first? Did you manage to get any other upgrades?

I'm mostly collecting orbs for some of the trophies. I only got the stabbing upgrade for Alastor.

• Like 2

OK I've done some thinking on this I think we're going to move on to a time based model lets say 24-48 hours per checkpoint, depending on length. The reason for this is people seem to hung up on trying to beat this in 3 playthroughs. Realistically if you're struggling on normal, you will need more playthroughs on normal to farm orbs to power up for DMD difficulty.

So we'll power on through, and this will work better as I'll be in a bettter position to advise anyone who is struggling on this game. I likely will put up videos for DMD difficulty to if people want them (I don't see any point in me uploading hard difficulty. Then if people get tired of the game in a week or so, we can discuss moving on to 2 and then 3 (if you're not interested in 2, I'll make checkpoints for that very short, but leave the topics open so we can all still talk about each game freely and anyone struggling.

Any objections?

Also I'll set the next checkpoint:

Checkpoint 4 - Complete Mission 8 (Time based)

Missables:

Mission 7:

Fifth Secret Mission: Where the Old Key is found in Mission 6, in the pipe room. Objective: Let one Kyclops kill the other.

Tip: You can get rid of the guiding light then come back so youdon'thave to deal with the health drain.

Mission 8:

Grenade Gun - After defeating Phantom in Mission 8, in the mechanism room shortly afterwards, grab the Grenade Gun from the skeleton.

Edited by Superbuu3

Got to the checkpoint.

The Secret Mission with the Kyklops was tougher than I remember it being.

I put a video up of it (mission 8 will be up in a coupleof hours), you have more than enough time to drop offthe guiding light and come back to it and still getteh S rank, although that might be because i killed the optional enemy.

Checkpoint 2 Completed, on to checkpoint 3

What I learned:

1. I do not have the patience to do a no yellow orb run

2. After trying to stab those baby spiders, I watched the let's play video... Why do I keep forgetting I have a gun??

3. Considering I get lost trying to find my kitchen, these open levels with respawning enemies are difficult

4. After trying to outrun the half-way point boss, I again watched the let's play video. Did everyone else know that we could roll???

Secret missions that dealt with vengence on spiders were completed :) All others were not

• Like 1

I'll have more questions up later when more people reach checkpoint 3.

Discussion Points Checkpoint 1:

1. First impressions of Dante?

He's actually more laid back then I expected which makes him more badass.
2. Do you think the game has aged well graphically and gameplay wise?

Considering when it was made it looks decent, the graphics have certainly aged though, the gameplay feels clunky, but I will say as I play more and more it isn't actually that bad at all.
3. What did you think of the opening scene and the scene where you get Alastor?

The Double penetration shocked me. I am so used to characters who are invincible not taking damage at all, its suprising to see how Dante just lets things injure him and then shrugs it off. I think its a good way to show how strong he really is though.
4. What weapons are you using?

Alastor and shotgun, I don't really see a reason to not use these currently E and I seem relatively useless, and no point in using the firswt sword over alastor.
5. What did you think of the Phantom boss fight? Did you have difficulty? Did you have any particular method to beat him?
I thought the first fight was really easy, I just went on the attack and used Devil Trigger while jumping around whenI ran out of devil trigger. You can get DT back by taunting so this makes him a lot less threatening. This is in my mission 3 video (I took this guy out at every opportunity)

6. What do you think of the voice acting?

Voice acting quality is not too bad from Dante, but sound quality is terrible and the dialogue is ridiculous just like teh RE games, it certainly has its charm.
7. Did you manage to beat the first secret mission? Did it take you many tries?
Took me 4 tries, its in my video for mission 3. I can see why this would be frustrating as there's no real tips on how to do this.

8. Do you think you would've found the Shotgun if you weren't told about it?

I did find it by accident, but I think this would've been very easy to miss, which i find somewhat suprising as it was such an important weapon.
9. What did you upgrade first? Did you manage to get any other upgrades?

Stinger and blue orbs everything else seems unimportant. I got the Air raid for mobility to, but I think blue orbs and maxing health as soon as possible is my priority.

Checkpoint 2 Completed, on to checkpoint 3

What I learned:

1. I do not have the patience to do a no yellow orb run

2. After trying to stab those baby spiders, I watched the let's play video... Why do I keep forgetting I have a gun??

3. Considering I get lost trying to find my kitchen, these open levels with respawning enemies are difficult

4. After trying to outrun the half-way point boss, I again watched the let's play video. Did everyone else know that we could roll???

Secret missions that dealt with vengence on spiders were completed :) All others were not

I definitely think the no yellow orb run is likely best saved for a later, attempt, unless  you're really confident. I seem to be doing ok so far, but I can only imagine how much harder the second half of the game likely wil be, although an oddity i've noticed is enemies appear to be weaker as the levels move on. I find this odd as there doesn't seem to be any straight up damage upgrades.

I'm glad the videos have been helping you push forward :)

Dodge roll is a bit awkward to do and I generally do it unintentionally, while hammering the X button.

• Like 1

Checkpoint 3 Completed :P

Of course, I had to die on the easiest level for my lack of directional skills. I also discovered that Holy Water is my friend and decided that Dante was a bug exterminator in his past life :P

I ended up getting an S ranking on two levels, but did not get untouchable :(

EDIT:

Checkpoint 4 also completed :)

Edited by Kittet3

Checkpoint 5 - Clear Mission 9 (24 hours)

Its only one mission, so should be beatable in less than 10 minutes, but I'm keeping up the pace.

No Secret Missions. No guns.

Discussion Points Checkpoint 2 and 3 (Mission 6 clear), spoilered for those who are a little behind:

1. How many secret missions have you cleared up to this point (there's been 4)? Which did you have the most difficulty with?

2. Do you think the second Dante was from the mirror, an entity in itself or something connected to Dante?

3. Which was the toughest boss fight (phantom mission 3, mirror dude, skull face - I obviously made up two of those names) ?

4. Did you fight Phantom in the corridor in Mission 4 or run?

5. Have you gotten used to the combat mechanics yet?

6. How you finding the difficulty now?

7. Have you managed to get S ranks yet?

Checkpoint 3 Completed :P

Of course, I had to die on the easiest level for my lack of directional skills. I also discovered that Holy Water is my friend and decided that Dante was a bug exterminator in his past life :P

I ended up getting an S ranking on two levels, but did not get untouchable :(

EDIT:

Checkpoint 4 also completed :)

For untouchable i'm going to use an untouchable gem on stage 5. If I can't do it naturally. Apparently mission 13 is the other sensible stage to try it on.

• Like 1

1. How many secret missions have you cleared up to this point (there's been 4)? Which did you have the most difficulty with?

I've beaten all of them so far, but I needed to restart everything from scratch. I didn't want to take care of three shadows at once in Hard difficulty...

2. Do you think the second Dante was from the mirror, an entity in itself or something connected to Dante?

By how he stopped after looking at Dante's amulet, I can imagine he is somehow connected to him.

3. Which was the toughest boss fight (phantom mission 3, mirror dude, skull face - I obviously made up two of those names) ?

Skull face all the way. It required me to take out the big flying thunders xD

First time around I ran. Second time I tried and killed him again. No orbs though :-(

Hell yeah, it wasn't that difficult :-P

Going down, boss fights apart...

Not at this checkpoint xD

• Like 1

Discussion Questions

2: the one where you shoot the spiders and the one where you jump on them. The first one game me trouble because my first instinct was to stab, which really doesn't work for that :P

I think there's some spirit part of Dante that is separate from him, but still there. That's why the enemies see that horned guy when they look at Dante well they are close to death- they could see past his human form and see the spirit inside him.

Skull face- I ended up just throwing holy water on him.

Run

Well, I can now roll and shoot, so I'd say that's a pretty good start :P I also practiced holy water. Combos, however, are nonexistence  in my world so far

After deciding to wait on secret missions and using the yellow orbs, it's not too bad.

Two: one in the short mission and one directly after that mission :P

psssst, can we get the checkpoints copied into the first post? :)

EDIT: Checkpoint 5 (I think that's the one) reached :P

Edited by Kittet3

Reached the checkpoint.

If you're going for Stylish trophy

At the beginning when the Blades (lizard guys) show up, you can get a Stylish rank pretty easily with Alastor by using Stinger with Million Stabs ( :triangle: :triangle:  (Pause) :triangle: ) since they have a bit more health than the puppets. You can also get it later on with the Fetish gauntlet for when you need 200 Orbs to open the door. The Fetish's will block your attacks and shoot fire at you but you can prevent that by using Stinger with Million Stabs like the Blades. You can also try using the grenade launcher and rolling, which can also help with getting a Stylish rank.

• Like 1

Checkpoint 6 - Clear Mission 11 (48 hours)

Missables:

Mission 11

Sixth Secret Mission: Clear the first room and return through the door to where Mission 10 ended. Objective: Get the Blue Orb piece in the air.
NOTE: If you are going in this order, you should unlock trophy_silver.pngThe Secret Six after completing this Secret Mission.

I'm not up to date myself, but that shouldn't stop people pushing through.

@Kittet: I updated the first post

• Like 1

Made it to the checkpoint.

If you wanted to farm any Red Orbs this is probably the best level to do it. There's a well you will have to jump down of full of Blades. Just fight them, take the Red Orbs and go back up, then jump back down and they will respawn. For more orbs you could try and use the grenade launcher and then use Stinger with Million Stabs on them since that can help get a Stylish rank which means more Red Orbs.

• Like 1

Made it to the checkpoint.

If you wanted to farm any Red Orbs this is probably the best level to do it. There's a well you will have to jump down of full of Blades. Just fight them, take the Red Orbs and go back up, then jump back down and they will respawn. For more orbs you could try and use the grenade launcher and then use Stinger with Million Stabs on them since that can help get a Stylish rank which means more Red Orbs.

I bolded that part in the spoiler as I just love how casually you mentioned it, almost sounds like part of the daily routine :)

Just a heads up I'm going to be AFK (AFP? What's the proper term for Away From Playstation?) AFP after this week for a few weeks (July 3-17 to be exact, with a one or two day BTP (Back To Playstation) between) So, as long as ya'll don't go complete ninja on me and complete it while I'm gone, I'll catch up when I come back :ninja:

• Like 1