We Play Devil May Cry HD

Checkpoint 8 - Clear Mission 15 (72 hours)

Note mission 13 is a good place to get Smashing Sensation or Untouchable.

Missables:

Mission 13 (This sounds like its during the intermission):

Seventh Secret Mission: Post-Mission 13. Return to the Captain’s Room on the ghost ship and check out the Captain’s skeleton. Objective: Defeat all 8 enemies (Blades) underwater.

Mission 15 (read both mission and weapon location together as I'm not certain of the order which you can find these, it might be a simple case of turning around for the secret mission):

Eighth Secret Mission: Check the picture wall in the rolling-spike trap room from Mission 14.
Objective: Defeat all enemies (3 Shadows).

Nightmare Beta - In Mission 15, you will go into one of the Emblem areas (Blue or Red) and get a storyline-related item, Pair Of Lances. If you choose to go through the other as well, the item at the end will always be Nightmare Beta.

Discussion points Checkpoint 4 and 5 (Mission 7-9)

Did you take on Phantom at the beginning of Mission 7? If yes how did you finish him? If not did you try?

Did the health drain effect you much? Did you attempt the secret mission 5 with or without the health drain?

Did you beat Secret Mission 5? Did you find it difficult what technique did you use?

How did you find the final showdown with Phantom? Did you find him easier or farder than he was in Chapter 3 or the chase scenes?

Have you managed to get your S ranks for combos or for a mission yet?

How did you find the moveset for Ifrit? Are you using that weapon or Alastor more?

Griffon boss fight? Did he give you much trouble? What was your techinique and weapon set?

If you're trying to find all blue orbs I found this in mission 15 which i think is missable, even though the guides don't seem to mention this fact:

Cleared Mission 15, word of warning I discovered that there is a blue orb in mission 15, its behind the red shield door, you need to jump under platform with the object on it, you have to lower the platforms but you need to acquire it before you get the object on the platform. Unlike the other blue orbs I don't think you can backtrack to this one.

I get it in my video here:

https://youtu.be/z9dNo9r2BwQ?t=12m22s

obviously all videos are in the first post etc.

Edited by Superbuu3

Discussion Points:

Did you take on Phantom at the beginning of Mission 7? If yes how did you finish him? If not did you try?

Goodness no, my philosophy is to run first, attack (if needed) second :P

Did the health drain effect you much? Did you attempt the secret mission 5 with or without the health drain?

The first time, I could figure out where the silly door was and had to reload my save. After watching the video, I found the door and proceeded to accidentally stumble upon the secret mission. I attacked everything (I don't even remembered what I was suppose to do) failed the mission, and ran to the checkpoint before I died.

Did you beat Secret Mission 5? Did you find it difficult what technique did you use?

Nope

How did you find the final showdown with Phantom? Did you find him easier or harder than he was in Chapter 3 or the chase scenes?

I used the same technique of staying on top of him and then he can't hurt me :P Considering I didn't quit in distress, I would say he was easier at this point.

Combos I got easily, but missions not so much. I got two and that's more then enough for me :P

How did you find the moveset for Ifrit? Are you using that weapon or Alastor more?

Considering I mash the same buttons, it's not too bad. That super fun spider-man jump thing is probably the best move ever (and one of the few I bothered to learn) I haven't switched it off ifrit, although I do kind of like the sword a little more.

Griffon boss fight? Did he give you much trouble? What was your techinique and weapon set?

There must be some technique to killing this guy-- there really must be, but for the life of me I could not figure it out. I know that you can somehow stun him with the red orbs, but I only managed that once. So basically I ran around in circles throwing grenades at him and hoping he doesn't trap me in a corner. Took a try or two, but I slowly worked his health down. Wait a minute- am I thinking of the right fight??? Okay, this is for the griffon in the field boss fight. Okay, now I'm doubting my memory of these answers.

Cleared Mission 15, word of warning I discovered that there is a blue orb in mission 15, its behind the red shield door, you need to jump under platform with the object on it, you have to lower the platforms but you need to acquire it before you get the object on the platform. Unlike the other blue orbs I don't think you can backtrack to this one.

I get it in my video here:

https://youtu.be/z9dNo9r2BwQ?t=12m22s

obviously all videos are in the first post etc.

BTW please take a moment to check out the awesome banner Florriis did for us in the opening post.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 3

Its the weekend so I'll do 3 missions in 48 hours insteaad of 72. At our current pace the first run will be done by next weekend, and then everyone is free to do the as many repeat playthroughs as they need to collect all the holy waters and untouchables they might need for DMD mode.

Checkpoint 9 - Clear Mission 18 (48 hours)

Missables:

Mission 16:

Ninth Secret Mission: after defeating Nightmare. Airplane room. Objective: Locate and defeat all the hidden Shadows. (2 in Airplane Room, 1 in Hallway, 1 in Bridge Room)
Mission 16 or Mission 17:

Tenth Secret Mission: after defeating Nightmare. In the Coliseum. Objective: Attain the Blue Orb piece by climbing a long, frustrating flight of stairs.
Mission 17:

Eleventh Secret Mission: on the Broken Bridge. To activate the Mission is the tricky bit, though. Move from the dead end to the door end without falling once, over the floating pieces. Jumping onto the door end will automatically activate the Secret Mission. Objective: Using jump pools released by Death Scythes, reach the top and attain the Blue Orb piece.

Discussion points will be up in a few hours.

By the way, is there any chance we can cover DMC4 - the special edition- if we have the time?

Hmmm, as much as i'd love to its going to take us ages to actually get to DMC4, and on top of that as its recent we're at the point people would've likely been playing it and beaten it or people just haven't bought it yet as a priority. The group works better for older games as no one is in a rush to complete them as they were likely sitting on a shelf.

But then again never say never. So I dunno, lol. Either way if someone's got it I'd recommend they not expect us to do it, as I really can't plan that far in advance given I've still got Bioshock, Bioshock Infinite, Ys: MoC, DMC 1/2/3 to get through >_>. People might be all DMCed out by then.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

Discussion points Mission 10-15 Checkpoint  6-8:

How did you find secret mission 6 where you have to jump on the reapers to collect stuff?

How are you doing in terms of finding blue orbs?

How tough are you finding the Nelo Angelo boss battles he's the mirror guy we fought earlier adn reappears in mission 11?

Did you manage to get the bookworm trophy yet?

Did yo ufind Griffon easier or harder on the Ghost ship?

How did you find the underwater missions and mechanics?

Did you manage to get the Untouchable trophy yet?

How did you find secret mission 8 (3 shadows in the spinning room of death)?

Final showdown with Griffon thoughts on difficulty compared to previous battles? What did you think of the cutscene and Dante's reaction?

Reached the checkpoint. Can't wait until Mission 16, hehe.

I ended up stomping the mission 16 boss (videos for 16-18 are up), and shockingly I did both the secret missions.

Also beat mission 18 and the secret mission on that one seems completely luck based.

My answers:

Discussion points Checkpoint 4 and 5 (Mission 7-9)

Yes I've been taking him head on and just Devil TRiggering him to death and hoping he dies first this tactic works so I get a large number of red orbs :)

I ran to the end of the mission and handed in the item, then went on to complete the Secret Mission and I though it wasn't too bad.

Jumping around like crazy and hoping the spiders killed each other, I think it was a valid tactic.

How did you find the final showdown with Phantom? Did you find him easier or farder than he was in Chapter 3 or the chase scenes?

I thought this boss fight was anticlimactic, he didn't seem to be too big a threat. I think him showing up constantly was a bit lame, hopefully he is more entertaining on later runs.

Yep, I definitely got the Alastor S rank around this point and i've got a few missions cleared with an S rank.

I thought Ifrit was a powerful weapon I think its definitely trickier to use, but I certainaly think it has enough benefits to justify its use a lot of games seem to have weapons that are crap when they are slow so i'm glad this despie being an old game did it right.

This was difficult I tried using the grenade launcher and Ifrit, but Ifrit was awful for this, I lucked out and knocked him out of the air and DTed him to death, this seems to be my only strategy.

Edited by Superbuu3

I ended up stomping the mission 16 boss (video is up, 17 will be a couple of hours and I dunno when i'll up 18), and shockingly I did both the secret missions.

There is a trick to the Mission 16 boss, but I'll post it as a spoiler once we get there.

Got to the checkpoint.

Click if you're having trouble with the boss on 16 and 18

Nightmare is probably giving you a bit of trouble. But there's a sort of trick you can do to beat him. You can manipulate his attacks if you stay in front of him. What you want to do is make sure you stay in front of him so he does his ice attack. It takes a while to charge up and it gives you a good opportunity to jump on his back and hit the orb. Just be sure to hold triangle when attacking with Ifrit. You don't want to break the orb. The really annoying part about the second fight is how when I wanted to hit the circle on the walls Dante would for some reason still be targeted towards Nightmare.

• Like 1

Yeah I had problems with the autolocks on that mission to they were a real pain the ass. All videos are up for me, I honestly had much more trouble on chapter 17 and i'm glad i decided to buy a health item before I started that stage or I would've died.

BTW all my videos are up to level 18 all secret mission complete all orbs found.

Yeah I had problems with the autolocks on that mission to they were a real pain the ass. All videos are up for me, I honestly had much more trouble on chapter 17 and i'm glad i decided to buy a health item before I started that stage or I would've died.

Yeah that one gave me a hard time too.

Especially with the floating swords. It's not enough he takes a good chunk of your health out with just one swipe.

Think I might drop out of this play through, I saw one of the more recent devil may cry games and it seemed really fun , so I thought I'd start from the beginning , finding this game a bit meh , plus I'm pretty wank at it so that doesn't help.

Just finished mission 4 and used two orbs already, also failed during the three shadows secret mission. The 2nd boss is the easiest thing in the game so far.

I will play a bit more and see if it's worth finishing , and wether or not I'm dropping out . :) obviously behind a bit but it's time based so no worries :P

Think I might drop out of this play through, I saw one of the more recent devil may cry games and it seemed really fun , so I thought I'd start from the beginning , finding this game a bit meh , plus I'm pretty wank at it so that doesn't help.

Just finished mission 4 and used two orbs already, also failed during the three shadows secret mission. The 2nd boss is the easiest thing in the game so far.

I will play a bit more and see if it's worth finishing , and wether or not I'm dropping out . :) obviously behind a bit but it's time based so no worries :P

The secret mission with the shadows is insanely hard, you could look to my videos for pointers as I've beaten all of them, I'm not good at the game either. I just jump around like a lunatic. The game gets considerably better when you get further into it.

Some sections are hard, but essentially devil trigger will kill everything. Almost everything I killed in normal mode I ran face first into and took the hits in DT mode, as it seems to boost your defence as well as give you health regen. The boss who gave me trouble weirdly no one else seemed to mention though, but i genuinely think that boss needs skill rather than button mashing like I do. Focus on getting the stinger lvl 1 upgrade and health upgrades. Moves that are for devil trigger exclusively seem useless to me honestly.