We Play Devil May Cry HD

This game seems a lot harder than i expected.

Checkpoint 1 reached xD I had to try that first secret mission a couple of times before understanding how should it be completed =_="

EDIT: Buu, are we going to wait until everyone hits checkpoint 1 or are we going to do like Bioshock's run?

Progress will be when 9 people beat the first checkpoint or just tomorrow, whichever is sooner.

I think I going to have to drop out of this Play.

I'm not sure how busy I'm going to be over the next few weeks so even my Bioshock progress is slow atm.

Ok, if you find you can catch up feel free to join back in as some people are going for the plat which means 3 runs.

Ive reached the first checkpoint :). Missed both missable secrets, got a C/D rank in every mission, and used about 3 yellow orbs, but hey, could've done worse!

Your avatar makes it seem like Winnie the Pooh read this out, so this cracked me up. I only did the first mission so far, i'll catch up today, but this game is really hard and seems harder to me then what little i played of the sequels when i was younger.

Confusing? I thought the reasons were perfectly simple :D

And the fact that enemies respawn is not helpful when your lost :(

EDIT: I went back to an earlier save and tried to find the secret mission and I can't rekill Phantom. The first time I did it no sweat, by I must've gotten lucky.

You're right the reasons were perfectly normal I must've been in a daze when I wrote that out as seen mby my confusing comments about when sign ups closed I fixed those up.

Tell me what you find, It's getting unenjoyable to have to keep hard closing, although I think I already attempted this. I spent several minutes finding every button that said 'exit', only to find out it literally meant 'exit' the menu (This, of course, makes perfectly sense since you can't exit the menu by pressing the open menu button /sarcasm) :shakefist::facepalm:

Lol I had this problem to.

checkpoint 1 reached.

after I killed phantom, he didn't give me the trophy so I was just wandering around being an emo cursing the games name. but once I finished the mission it popped, and we are friends again now. :)

all 3 missions ranked c - which all things considering, i'll take that B)

can I ask those who know and are going for the platinum themselves. in regards to 'The devil made me do it' trophy , where you use no yellow orbs during the game , would you recommend doing that in this play-through on normal, or doing a separate play-through on easy ?

Edited by Kyomi-Okami

can I ask those who know and are going for the platinum themselves. in regards to 'The devil made me do it' trophy , where you use no yellow orbs during the game , would you recommend doing that in this play-through on normal, or doing a separate play-through on easy ?

You can do it on Normal. In fact if you die and reload the save it won't count as using a Yellow Orb. It would still be kind of difficult though. You could wait to do it again on another playthrough but if you want to do it on Normal you will have to go through Hard first and then select Normal again when you do another game.

• Like 1

Reached Checkpint 1 so I think we're waiting on another person although I'll be putting up details for checkpoint 2 in a few hours as we've been on this for a while.

I wrecked phantom, the secret mission took me 4 tries I cut out attempt 2 and 3 on the video, you can't be killed by being underwater itself so as long as the enemy doesn't hit you. You have as many tries as possible.

I got a rank C, B and A. I think i lucked out against phantom as I didn't really even understand his attacks >_>. but yeah I love this game so far.

There's something on a platform on mission 3 that seems out of range no clue how to reach it.

Reached Checkpint 1 so I think we're waiting on another person although I'll be putting up details for checkpoint 2 in a few hours as we've been on this for a while.

checkpoint 1 reached.

^_^ From my count, we are nine (Not counting the Ryuzaki1993)

Let me know if this checkpoint is too short, I'm not sure is people want to complete secret missions as they go along but as this mission has so many thought it might be better to just do this as the checkpoint.

EDIT: I managed to beat this in under 20 minutes with all the secret missions so I won't be suprised if people want me to set a further mission, if you do feel free to comment or PM me and I'll do that.

Checkpoint 2 - Complete Mission 4 (Completed 0 out of 12)
Missables:

Second Secret Mission: Hall where the Phantom battle takes place. Objective: Kill 100 Phantom Babies in a set time limit.
Third Secret Mission: AFTER completing Secret Mission 2! Hall with the Time Statue at the other end, Mission 4 beginning point. Objective: Kill 100 Phantom Babies in a set time limit using NO weapons.
Fourth Secret Mission: After defeating Shadow. Arena below the airplane room. Objective: Defeat all three Shadows.

^_^ From my count, we are nine (Not counting the Ryuzaki1993)

I was talking people and I'm pretty sure you said you were a platypus ._.

Ok I'll fix it I'll check out checkpoint details now, might as well I couldn't sleep anyway.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

I wrecked phantom, the secret mission took me 4 tries I cut out attempt 2 and 3 on the video, you can't be killed by being underwater itself so as long as the enemy doesn't hit you. You have as many tries as possible.

I got a rank C, B and A. I think i lucked out against phantom as I didn't really even understand his attacks >_>. but yeah I love this game so far.

There's something on a platform on mission 3 that seems out of range no clue how to reach it.

if you are talking bout a platform on the broken bridge , then it is a blue orb fragment. you need the first upgrade on the list for your Alastor. and then you double jump up the door to where you fight Phantom. then press :r1::triangle: and the direction of the ledge.

• Like 1

Videos for mission 1-3 are up if anyone needs tips on anything, you can see how I fight my way too victory with little to no skill lol, this game is defintiely doable without being good at hack and slash games.

if you are talking bout a platform on the broken bridge , then it is a blue orb fragment. you need the first upgrade on the list for your Alastor. and then you double jump up the door to where you fight Phantom. then press :r1::triangle: and the direction of the ledge.

I never would've thought of that. I was trying to jump off the wall and just kept missing it. Guess I'll grab this at the start of mission 4 instead.

Edited by Superbuu3

Checkpoint 2 reached xD

Someone did manage to beat the fourth secret mission? I tried something like 10 times before leaving that behind...

Oh cool you're playing along :)

Yeah I beat it earlier I got a video in the first post, it wasn't too difficult, you just have to keep moving. The video will show it better than I can with words.

i don't know any high level tactics, so it took me a while.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

Managed to do Checkpoint 2. Despite getting lost, I got a B on it somehow :P

If you're going for Platinum

For the Platinum you will need to do all the journal entries on enemies. Since this is the first mission you fight a Shadow, one of their entries involves waiting for them to stab you and then jumping on their blade, shooting them which exposes their core. The best way to do this is to keep your distance and eventually you will see them glow a bit. Jump as soon as you see it as that means they are about to do their stabbing thing. Jump on it and use the shotgun to expose their core in one hit.

Collectibles (If you showed these in your video, Superbuu, then I apologize since I haven't seen it yet)

If you have Air Hike, right before you go down to fight the boss, there's a Blue Orb fragment and an item called Untouchable. Once you enter the courtyard jump up as there's a hole above you that you can jump through. Here's why Air Hike is important, because the items are on two columns. Go up against the wall and jump left and you should land on the left column. There's also a secret Red Orb stash hidden here. But grab the Untouchable and then jump to the right against the wall for the other column and there you should get the Blue Orb fragment.

Managed to do Checkpoint 2. Despite getting lost, I got a B on it somehow :P

If you're going for Platinum

For the Platinum you will need to do all the journal entries on enemies. Since this is the first mission you fight a Shadow, one of their entries involves waiting for them to stab you and then jumping on their blade, shooting them which exposes their core. The best way to do this is to keep your distance and eventually you will see them glow a bit. Jump as soon as you see it as that means they are about to do their stabbing thing. Jump on it and use the shotgun to expose their core in one hit.

Collectibles (If you showed these in your video, Superbuu, then I apologize since I haven't seen it yet)

If you have Air Hike, right before you go down to fight the boss, there's a Blue Orb fragment and an item called Untouchable. Once you enter the courtyard jump up as there's a hole above you that you can jump through. Here's why Air Hike is important, because the items are on two columns. Go up against the wall and jump left and you should land on the left column. There's also a secret Red Orb stash hidden here. But grab the Untouchable and then jump to the right against the wall for the other column and there you should get the Blue Orb fragment.

Is that the same blue orb you can see here at 17:07, it shows up for a second only and looks like its in that tower top centre of the screen?

https://youtu.be/cvIFGOIWyPI?t=16m56s

I was planning on grabbing that at start of chapter 5 (assuming I can) I don't think many of us are good enough to afford the air hike at this point, looks like you'll be able to reach it with a wall jump at this point.

For anyone using my videos, up to this point thats the only one i didn't grab, but you can backtrack in this game so easy to get at start of mission 5, which should start there.

Edited by Superbuu3

Is that the same blue orb you can see here at 17:07, it shows up for a second only and looks like its in that tower top centre of the screen?

https://youtu.be/cvIFGOIWyPI?t=16m56s

I was planning on grabbing that at start of chapter 5 (assuming I can) I don't think many of us are good enough to afford the air hike at this point, looks like you'll be able to reach it with a wall jump at this point.

For anyone using my videos, up to this point thats the only one i didn't grab, but you can backtrack in this game so easy to get at start of mission 5, which should start there.

Yep that's the one. You can also use Air Raid to get it too.

• Like 1

Discussion Points Checkpoint 1:

1. First impressions of Dante?
2. Do you think the game has aged well graphically and gameplay wise?
3. What did you think of the opening scene and the scene where you get Alastor?
4. What weapons are you using?
5. What did you think of the Phantom boss fight? Did you have difficulty? Did you have any particular method to beat him?
6. What do you think of the voice acting?
7. Did you manage to beat the first secret mission? Did it take you many tries?
8. Do you think you would've found the Shotgun if you weren't told about it?
9. What did you upgrade first? Did you manage to get any other upgrades?

Is it possible to return at a later time and do the secret missions?

They're listed as missables so I think you may have to wait till next time around. Which one are you struggling on. Each one I did in my videos and if you need a description I can tell you what to do. Stuff like blue orbs you can definitely backtrack to as the other areas of the castle don't seem to ever get sealed off.

If you're really struggling I'd  just wait till hard, you'll be more accustomed to combat, depending on what you're struggling with.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

Not really a first impression, but, yeah, he's pretty awesome. B) From his laid back attitude and his enjoyable dialogue, he's an enjoyable character. It does seem like there's a pretty complex back-story we're missing on so far, so hopefully he'll become more dynamic as the game progresses. He seems to be focused on some type of revenge, which may be his fatal character flaw (It would be if this was a play) to make him a tragic hero. He also seems to take everything into stride and go with the flow. His thoughts are kept from us, so we are just observing him and attempting to guess at what his reaction to everything is.

I generally enjoyed playing this game since I spent my childhood watching my brother play it (and, of course, never getting a turn :angry: ) It brings back good memories and I always have a special place in my <3  for pre-PS3 games, even though I barely touched a PS2/PS (Disc+little Kittet=scratched disc. It was safer to give me Nintendo games :D )

Graphically- it's has a classic Pre-PS3 graphics, which I find really charming. (AKA they suck, but in a good way :) ) Again, I'm no graphic nut, so I digress from this.

Gameplay- :| I'm totally unamused by several aspects of the gameplay. You are telling me it's impossible to allow us to go to the main menu? Really? You can read my mini-rant about that above. The fixed camera is also a pain- but I can get use to it. I ever thought so much about the camera before, but I find myself having to 'reset' my directional stick (AKA put it in neutral) instead of simply swinging it to the correct angle when the camera shift. I did change my controller config. as soon as possible so I attack with the outside buttons instead of the top button, which feels more natural. The select and start button still get me sometimes, but eh. 

I felt more needed to be explained in the opening scene and that subtitles should have been used (some of us are really bad at listening :) ) I actually watched the opening scene twice since I accidentally skipped it the first time while trying to toggle on subtitles.  I don't remember the scene with Alastor, so I don't have much to say about that :)

The glowy sword- Alastor. I didn't even bother with learning how to use guns until after I defeated Phantom and found out I needed it for the secret mission. I especially like jumping on enemies.

5. What did you think of the Phantom boss fight? Did you have difficulty? Did you have any particular method to beat him?

My first time it was super easy. My other 8 times it went back and forth between hard and easy. My method is to get, and stay, on top of him and just start swinging. Jump attacks help as well. As soon as he hits me, I activate- oh what's it called- demon soul mode or something and heal back as I slash him. As long as I'm on top of him (or visa versa as he pushes me off) I find he can't attack me.

Needs more subtitles

No... :angry: Out of my nine fights with that stupid spider, I killed him 4 times and advanced to the secret mission. The first time, I thought there was more so I ended the mission. The other times, by the time I kill him my health is half-way down. The second time, I died just as I figured out how to use the shotgun. :facepalm:  I looked up on YouTube and saw some guy slashing it before shooting it so I was 'hmmm, maybe swords don't count' so my third time I tried hitting it until an inch of it's life and then shooting it... Never could get it right :facepalm: My fourth time I had barely any life and died just as I killed it with about half a dozen shots :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Eh, probably not. I ended up breaking the table and picking the shiny gun off of the floor.

Alister upgrades- the two cheapest ones

They're listed as missables so I think you may have to wait till next time around. Which one are you struggling on. Each one I did in my videos and if you need a description I can tell you what to do. Stuff like blue orbs you can definitely backtrack to as the other areas of the castle don't seem to ever get sealed off.

If you're really struggling I'd  just wait till hard, you'll be more accustomed to combat, depending on what you're struggling with.

The first one still (I saved before I left the door so I have a save at the beginning of Mission 3 and 4) I have a 50% chance of killing the spider, which when I do I'm usually at 50% health. That usually lasts me 3-4 rounds with the secret mission, which I think I understand how to do now it just takes practice and I'm not patient :facepalm: I basically have mission 3 memorized now.

Do secret mission progress carry though to other playthroughs? AKA can I skip mission 1, do the rest, and then clean up mission one on hard :)

• Like 1

The first one still (I saved before I left the door so I have a save at the beginning of Mission 3 and 4) I have a 50% chance of killing the spider, which when I do I'm usually at 50% health. That usually lasts me 3-4 rounds with the secret mission, which I think I understand how to do now it just takes practice and I'm not patient :facepalm: I basically have mission 3 memorized now.

Do secret mission progress carry though to other playthroughs? AKA can I skip mission 1, do the rest, and then clean up mission one on hard :)

I'd recommend watching the videos I uploaded. I don't use any advanced techniques and I don't even dodge so they should help. The reason I point out that is because its nigh on impossible to pull off some of the tricks the pros do until you're more familiar with the game mechanics.

I'd suggest focusing on health upgrades with blue orbs, I've only bought one attack upgrade the stinger and I'm not good at this game and managed to survive just because my health bar was large. The main reason I bought stinger is due to it closing down distance between you and the enemy.

Regarding Phantom:

All you need to do is use devil trigger. When he sticks his face in the ground, he does the fire pillars, just keep moving. when he shoots the fireball youcan deflect it with your sword. I spammed stinger in his face. When you got time you can use the L2 to taunt, just do this at a distance and until your devil trigger is full and then spam sword attacks. It seems to be possible to land on him to this seems to do big damage.

Regarding the secret mission 1:

The scissor guy has this attack where his sword is expanded slowly and he edges towars you. This is your best opportunity just press triangle once and deflect his attack. Immediately walk left and press fire once. Dante will shoot him in the face and get a one hit kill. If you don't kill him, step back and spam fire. You can't be killed by drowning even if youhave zero health so as long as you avoid the scissors you won't die.

Another important this is you can taunt the scissor guy while he's descending to max your devil trigger, then use devil trigger to stop yourself taking damage under water. This sould buy you a couple more attempts.

Also I only use alastor and the shotgun i used E and I briefly in secret mission 2.

Edited by Superbuu3
  • Like 1

Yes you can do that. It's probably recommended for some of them anyway. Though there's one in particular you really shouldn't do on hard because of the enemies.

The one with the three Shadows. Those are hard enough as it is, but fighting three of them on hard is a bit much unless you have Untouchables or Holy Water.

My discussion point answers

Speaking from first experience before I got the HD collection, I rented the game on the PS2 long ago. My first game was actually DMC2, but I didn't like that game very much and it almost put me off from the first one. When I did play it though, I was surprised how different Dante was in it. He came off as someone that joked about everything, despite Trish wrecking his shop and when Phantom first shows up and I thought that was really cool compared to other protagonists at the time.

Yes and no. Graphically it looks pretty good still even for an early 2000's PS2 game. Gameplay wise, while the combat is fast and tense, it's downfall is the fixed camera and how it switches the direction you're going, and so it takes a while to get used to it. I can't fully blame it though since it did start out as Resident Evil 4.

The first scene set the tone for Dante pretty well, and what he's capable of such as getting impaled by a sword and walking it off. The Alastor scene was really cool too. When I first got to it on the PS2 it was one of those things that stuck out since I was used to playing as characters that were mortal and would have died from that, and so it really gave you an idea on how much of a badass you were playing as.

Shotgun and Alastor.

For a early 2000's PS2 game, it's not terrible but it's not really good either but again I can't really fault it for that since it didn't have near as big of a budget compared to it's sequels or the Resident Evil games at the time.

• Like 2

Like Tony, my first DMC game was the second one in the franchise. I was 11yo, I barely played any hack'n'slash and I liked all those good recensions about the first chapter, so I decided to give it a try. If I had to choose a term to describe him, it would be the italian word "tamarro", which roughly translates to "guy that tends to exaggerate through his look and actions". He's certainly one of the most charismatic characters in the PS2 era.

I don't mind the scaled-up graphics, as I played a lot of remastered games so far...Anyway, its mechanics are really old. Especially the fixed-angle camera.

Ah! My rib cage! Jokes apart, I knew his backstory, I played every game apart this first one before, so I knew it wasn't such a problem to be stabbed by a giant sword.

Shotgun + Alastor, I like Ebony and Ivory but they do not keep up the combat style bar :-)

I did not find that one particularly hard, I just jumped around and slashed him with Alastor.

I could understand it without subtitles, so it's simple and well-spelled.

About 3 of them, it was easy after I understood how to take down the Sin Scissor in one hit.

Yes, I usually try to break everything on my way through a room :-P

I got the level 1 Stinger, Air Raid and now I think I'll redo mission 4 just to get all Blue Orbs fragment, one of the shop's Blue Orbs and try again to get rid of those 3 Shadows.

As Checkpoint 2 was so short I'm just going to open up Checkpoint 3. If people are struggling do speak up.

Checkpoint 3 - Complete Mission 6 (Completed 0 out of 13)

There are no secret missions. Mission 5 is apparently very short and a possible location for the Untouchable (no injury) and Smashing Sensation (S rank a stage) trophy.

As Checkpoint 2 was so short I'm just going to open up Checkpoint 3. If people are struggling do speak up.

Checkpoint 3 - Complete Mission 6 (Completed 0 out of 13)

There are no secret missions. Mission 5 is apparently very short and a possible location for the Untouchable (no injury) and Smashing Sensation (S rank a stage) trophy.

:shakefist: I already have to pull my hat down whenever I walk past the Bioshock thread (thankfully, no one has noticed my avoidance) and now I'm two checkpoints behind here :facepalm:

*Deep breath* Okay, I got over it now :D Yeah, this pace is good, ignore me. I got cranky when I see spiders :)

Ok I'm up to date. If anyone wants any tips or helps you can ask me, I've also uploaded my videos for those missions. The missions are very short and I easily got S ranks on Mission 5 and 6 without trying (I've not played this game before). So you can do as I do on mission 5 and you'll get the S rank to and get the Smashing Senstion Trophy.

• Like 1