Sorry Capcom... I was right

Artemisthemp

Source - http://www.siliconer...-the-year-2022/

By 2022, Capcom’s Chairman and CEO, Kenzo Tsujimoto, aims to turn the company into the world’s #1 provider of digital content. 2022 is a decade away, and while ten years is a long time, Capcom already have short-term goals they’d like to accomplish in order to build up to this long-term objective.

We’ve summarized these goals before. They boil down to:

• Shortening the development times for games.
  • Consistently releasing sequels while releasing brand new titles as well.
  • Increasing development staff.
  • More social/online games for mobile and PC.
  • Release DLC (downloadable content) to give console games a longer lifespan.

In a statement to investors, chairman Tsujimoto expounded upon each of these goals in a little more detail. Here’s a quick understanding of what each one involves, just to give you a better idea of what Capcom’s management have in mind.

Shortening development times: Capcom hope to reduce development times from the usual 3-4 years to only 2.5 years. Speeding up development times will increase the cost of development, but Capcom believe that creating quality content quickly is vital to their ability to remain competitive.

Consistent sequels while creating brand new games: Shortening development times will mean that games in popular brands will see more frequent releases, but Capcom also say they intend to keep releasing brand new games. While brand new titles with low awareness are unlikely to be a hit the first time around, Capcom say they will keep investing in new games and develop them into new sources of earnings.

Increasing development staff: Over the next decade, Capcom plan to hire about 1,000 employees, adding over 100 developers every year. This is because advances in technology and platforms will demand increased development staff that are trained to keep up. Capcom plan to hire and train their own talent internally, and nurture the next generation of creators.

More social/online games for mobile and PC: Capcom expect that the market for mobile content will double between 2012 and 2016, and that the PC online games market will increase by 126% during the same time. Thus, they will invest heavily in both these areas to take advantage of the market.

DLC for traditional games: Unlike mobile and PC online, Capcom don’t expect to see an increase in the realm of packaged software. However, they do expect growth of about 26% in the packaged software category after factoring in DLC sales. In fiscal year 2011, Capcom made 2.8 billion yen ($35 million) in DLC sales. For fiscal year 2012, they expect to increase this number to 3.5 billion yen ($43.8 million).

For the ongoing fiscal year (FY2012), Capcom hope to reach 105 billion yen ($1.3 billion) in net sales for the first time, and expect to see record high figures for all income categories, owing to a strong slate of upcoming titles such as Resident Evil 6,DmC Devil May Cry and the recently released Dragon’s Dogma.

Looks like I was right in boycott $ashcom

• Like 1

Can't say I see what the problem is with their goals but if you wanna miss out on the great games that come out under their name... more power to you. I personally Love the Dead Rising games and Asura's wrath is one of my top games of this consoles generation. Dragon's Dogma is very high up on my radar as well. That's 2 original IP's that I think kick ass to go along with sequels to a fairly strong franchise. Add on DMC, lost planet and RE6 bit later and you have a pretty strong line up.

Personally, I don't get why gamers are always so eager to find things to bitch about instead of just playing games they enjoy. Hell, half the time, even if they do enjoy the game they'll still actively search for something to bitch about anymore. If the industry is so terrible and all they want to do is rip you off in your mind then go find a new hobby.

• Like 2

It actually sounds like a pretty good business plan to me. Capcom is in business to make money - the key is to make money and keep the consumer happy, which in turn will make you more money. Wait and see how the second part of the formula pans out before you boycott them.

• Like 1

It actually sounds like a pretty good business plan to me. Capcom is in business to make money - the key is to make money and keep the consumer happy, which in turn will make you more money. Wait and see how the second part of the formula pans out before you boycott them.

You don't make Costumers happy by locking Content on the Disc and then selling it for $60, which make the game cost $120 or taking $1.99 for 8 hair Styles on Day 1

• Like 1

You don't make Costumers happy by locking Content on the Disc and then selling it for $60, which make the game cost $120 or taking $1.99 for 8 hair Styles on Day 1

lol - come on dood that's the old Capcom, this is the new Capcom with a 10 year game plan. I'm sure they will NEVER do that again. :P

I don't see the point of video game company boycotts. One, it's only hurting the industry (if it's say, Nintendo or Sony), which kinda goes against what being a gamer is about. Two, a lot of these people that say they're gonna boycott these companies buy their games anyway when something they want comes out (like RE6)

With 3 versions of Street Fighter 4, 2 versions of RE5, 2 versions of MVC3 released in the same year & Vita SFVT gets all character rosters compared to its PS3 counterpart, I can understand why people are displeased at CAPCOM.

You can't really complain about two versions of a game that are actually spaced out at least a year, especially one packaged with all the DLC. Most other GOTY editions release around that same timeframe.

I do agree with the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 thing though. I don't even agree with the 'game of the year' idea for fighting games, I don't think fighters need it. They definitely shouldn't have released it a matter of months after MvC3 though.

I never played Street Fighter, so I can't really say much there. I have noticed that they have been doing this to Street Fighter since Street Fighter 2 though. You ever see how many versions of that there are?

You can't really complain about two versions of a game that are actually spaced out at least a year, especially one packaged with all the DLC. Most other GOTY editions release around that same timeframe.

I do agree with the Marvel Vs Capcom 3 thing though. I don't even agree with the 'game of the year' idea for fighting games, I don't think fighters need it. They definitely shouldn't have released it a matter of months after MvC3 though.

I never played Street Fighter, so I can't really say much there. I have noticed that they have been doing this to Street Fighter since Street Fighter 2 though. You ever see how many versions of that there are?

I know SF's previous versions multiple versions of it. The only difference is that before SF4 was released, they said there's going to stop putting super, hyper or whatever they can think of. In the end they released SUPER SF4, same for SSF4 arcade, when the arcade SSF4 can they denied that it will never have a console version. In the end they release it for the consoles.

Now this does have me perplexed. I will admit that I like the sound of them producing more games at a quicker pace and creating sequels for existing games, I have my doubts about the quality of them. They are known for their underhanded tactics of locking things away on the disc and of purposely removing content just to charge us down the road. I suppose all we can do is wait and see.

With 3 versions of Street Fighter 4, 2 versions of RE5, 2 versions of MVC3 released in the same year & Vita SFVT gets all character rosters compared to its PS3 counterpart, I can understand why people are displeased at CAPCOM.

HAHA you are wrong.

There is 7 version of SF 4

Personally, I don't get why gamers are always so eager to find things to bitch about instead of just playing games they enjoy.

It's not OK to exploit your customer base. Capcom's current business practices like exclusive game-unbalancing pre-order DLC (SFvTekken), on-disc DLC (SFvTekken), charging twice the going rate for old re-releases that take almost no effort to port (RE4, RE:CVX), constantly re-releasing the game game for more money instead of providing it as DLC or (heaven forbid) for free (SF4, SSF4, SSF4AE, MVC3, UMVC3) and running their series into the ground until they're completely unrecognisable and a complete slap in the face to their old fans (RE5, RE6).

If we as consumers give Capcom our money we tell them this is OK. It's not OK. It's so very far from OK. We need to make it clear that we don't like being exploited else ten years down the line we're going to be screwed utterly.

--

With regards to what you posted, Art, I see no issue with that. More developers is good, shorter development periods, as long as they don't sacrifice quality, is good, more DLC as long as the DLC is fairly priced and not exploitative in any way is good. It's what Capcom's doing already that's awful.

It's not OK to exploit your customer base. Capcom's current business practices like exclusive game-unbalancing pre-order DLC (SFvTekken), on-disc DLC (SFvTekken), charging twice the going rate for old re-releases that take almost no effort to port (RE4, RE:CVX), constantly re-releasing the game game for more money instead of providing it as DLC or (heaven forbid) for free (SF4, SSF4, SSF4AE, MVC3, UMVC3) and running their series into the ground until they're completely unrecognisable and a complete slap in the face to their old fans (RE5, RE6).

If we as consumers give Capcom our money we tell them this is OK. It's not OK. It's so very far from OK. We need to make it clear that we don't like being exploited else ten years down the line we're going to be screwed utterly.

--

With regards to what you posted, Art, I see no issue with that. More developers is good, shorter development periods, as long as they don't sacrifice quality, is good, more DLC as long as the DLC is fairly priced and not exploitative in any way is good. It's what Capcom's doing already that's awful.

I wasn't specifically referring to people bitching about Capcom, I was talking about gamers bitching about everything. There's seriously a thread on this site bitching about trophy icons in a game series that the OP says he loves, trophy icons don't affect anything related to the game and there's no reason to be upset about them, but people still are because apparently the average gamer can't function without something to hate on.

The on disc DLC thing sucks, I'll agree with that, but Capcom apparently is changing their methods when it comes to that. Day one DLC doesn't bother me too much because there's a chance they just created it in the down time between when the game is finished and when it's actually released. As for the multiple re-releases, I don't feel bad for anyone who falls into that trap, it's common knowledge that any Capcom fighter is going to have a bazillion different versions within a year or two, if you don't have the self control to hold out until the ultimate version or whatever (especially in this day and age when there are puh-lenty of alternatives to keep you entertained) then tough crap.

Like you said, if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Like you said, if you don't like it, then don't buy it.

Yeah..and the ones that bitch the loudest are right there with their pre-order dollars burning a hole in their pocket when the next rerun sequel gets announced...

now I await the expected denials...

1. If your going to boycott a company, by not buying a game you normally would, based on principle... why don't buy a game you normally wouldn't from a developer with morals and principles in line with yours? It's like boycotting Walmart. The trick there isn't to just stop shopping altogether, it's to go to local stores instead of Walmart to buy the same thing and pay a little more for the sake of supporting local businesses. If you aren't helping the little guy in your boycott of big business, then what good are you doing really?

And to anyone claiming to "boycott" a company by not buying games you never intended to in the first place... fuck off.

2. Whoever said RE5 and RE6 is a slap in the face of consumers/fans of the series, speak for yourself. I love the Resident Evil series and I'm looking forward to RE6. Just because you can argue they are "whoring the name" by having 6+ installments doesn't make the games bad (which they aren't by any means, RE4 was a classic and RE5 is awesome coop... RE6 looks something like a combination of the two). I wouldn't enjoy it any more or less by any other name, and if you do, you're part of the problem by placing so much importance on it. Buy games you like, don't worry about the name.

3. Hopefully Capcom turns it around, I'll admit they have been pretty slutty this generation. The incredible amount of re-releases date back to SNES days though, so other than telling them to "get with the times", I can't say it's out of character. If anything they've toned it down a bit lol.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...