do u think runescape can make it to consoles?

XXwizardXX123

As someone who played RuneScape on and off for about 6 years (I pretty much stopped playing a few years ago though), I would say the chances of that are almost zero. In all honesty, I think Jagex doesn't care much about improving the game much at this point as far as quests, skills, content, community stuff, like they used to - they just now care that you buy more spins in the "Squeal of Fortune" with your real-world money and other new stuff like that... The last thing they care about doing these days is adding actual meaningful content to their game, much less taking any steps to future-proof their game in any sort of way (moving it to consoles, etc...)

Lol but more seriously, the game is built entirely off of Java, and at one point they were trying to put the game completely onto HTML 5 (I was in the beta for that years ago) but years later the HTML version of the game still isn't even open to the public! Basically, moving the entire game over to console based on what its built on now would be quite a massive project, and I highly doubt the Jagex of today would honestly even consider something like that.

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 3

In an interview, one of the developers said that the big three ain't cool with true cross play(playing with each other regardless or platform). This means we will never see any Jagex game on console unless they are contracted and the publisher tells them to or if they get desperate. 

In an interview, one of the developers said that the big three ain't cool with true cross play(playing with each other regardless or platform). This means we will never see any Jagex game on console unless they are contracted and the publisher tells them to or if they get desperate.

Final Fantasy XIV is cross play with PC and warframe will be eventually. Those are the only two I can think of that are though.

I played Runescape on and off for bout 8 years, and I honestly considered it one of the most in-depth games out there.  No other game offers as much content as them and lets you basically do whatever you want in their world.  I dont think, however, that it will ever get to consoles.  I truely hope that it does because the only reason I really quit playing was because I moved to consoles.  Hope they somehow make this happen even if they have to slowly build up the content.

Jagex tried a few years ago, but they decided against it as they wouldn't have been allowed to have interaction between each console. I don't think much has changed, although I suppose they could go with a single console and allow cross-play with PC.

But what would be the point? The game is already capable of running on pretty much any PC and it's certainly not console-friendly. There wouldn't be much to gain from it for the amount of effort it'd take.

I'd say the most you can hope for is the ability to play on phones. It was their goal to have the scrapped HTML5 client work on those, but there hasn't been any confirmation on if its replacement, the C++ client, will.

Edited by Shadiochao

I played Runescape on and off for bout 8 years, and I honestly considered it one of the most in-depth games out there.  No other game offers as much content as them and lets you basically do whatever you want in their world.  I dont think, however, that it will ever get to consoles.  I truely hope that it does because the only reason I really quit playing was because I moved to consoles.  Hope they somehow make this happen even if they have to slowly build up the content.

Eh arguable. I'd say Artix Entertainment games have more depth to them.

Final Fantasy XIV is cross play with PC and warframe will be eventually. Those are the only two I can think of that are though.

Yes, I know about Final Fantasy XIV, I also remember Final Fantasy XI was also cross platform with 360 I think. Those games are unfortunately not true cross play games only partial. 

Yes, I know about Final Fantasy XIV, I also remember Final Fantasy XI was also cross platform with 360 I think. Those games are unfortunately not true cross play games only partial.

How are they only partial? They have full interactivity with each other lol

I know that. As I said, true cross play would allow any platform to play with each other. 

Oh yeah, normally cross platform play means it has to be exclusive to one console though.

FFXIV, Street Fighter 5, Dragons Dogma Online, and War Thunder are all PS exclusive, I guess they're okay with playing with PC but not other competing consoles.

Edited by Hailst0rm_2

Oh yeah, normally cross platform play means it has to be exclusive to one console though.

FFXIV, Street Fighter 5, Dragons Dogma Online, and War Thunder are all PS exclusive, I guess they're okay with playing with PC but not other competing consoles.

I think with W10 you won't see a lot of PS cross play, I have a feel MS is going to have a tight lease around it to boost Xbox live.

I think with W10 you won't see a lot of PS cross play, I have a feel MS is going to have a tight lease around it to boost Xbox live.

It's possible, MS seems to be pushing that pretty hard especially on their first party exclusives.

I wish Sony did the same but they don't seem to encourage it in any way :/

It's possible, MS seems to be pushing that pretty hard especially on their first party exclusives.

I wish Sony did the same but they don't seem to encourage it in any way :/

It's different for Sony, their have no OS to pair up with expect for Steam OS. Steam OS would need to be very successful for them to actively promote cross play. Also I guess Sony is going MS's old route and will very be protective of their ips. 

As someone who played RuneScape on and off for about 6 years (I pretty much stopped playing a few years ago though), I would say the chances of that are almost zero. In all honesty, I think Jagex doesn't care much about improving the game much at this point as far as quests, skills, content, community stuff, like they used to - they just now care that you buy more spins in the "Squeal of Fortune" with your real-world money and other new stuff like that... The last thing they care about doing these days is adding actual meaningful content to their game, much less taking any steps to future-proof their game in any sort of way (moving it to consoles, etc...)

Lol but more seriously, the game is built entirely off of Java, and at one point they were trying to put the game completely onto HTML 5 (I was in the beta for that years ago) but years later the HTML version of the game still isn't even open to the public! Basically, moving the entire game over to console based on what its built on now would be quite a massive project, and I highly doubt the Jagex of today would honestly even consider something like that.

Believe it or not they do still update the game quite regularly with good new content. I am talking then about OSRS (old school runescape), which is basically a 07 version of runescape you can play today. Jagex is letting the community decide what content/updates they would like to see through polls. When a poll passes the 75% vote mark then the update will be implemented. So the community itself is actually making their own game. Not to mention that they will add an entire new area, Zea. (which will double the size of the 07 world map). So they are still improving the game. Although you're probably right about RS3, nobody cares about that game anymore :P

OSRS has been made free too a couple of months ago (only the old f2p areas ofcourse) so if you feel like experience some nostalgia, you don't have to pay 6$ anymore :D

But if it did come to consoles, it'd be the grindiest trophy list ever! lol

Edited by xZoneHunter

Believe it or not they do still update the game quite regularly with good new content. I am talking then about OSRS (old school runescape), which is basically a 07 version of runescape you can play today. Jagex is letting the community decide what content/updates they would like to see through polls. When a poll passes the 75% vote mark then the update will be implemented. So the community itself is actually making their own game. Not to mention that they will add an entire new area, Zea. (which will double the size of the 07 world map). So they are still improving the game. Although you're probably right about RS3, nobody cares about that game anymore :P

OSRS has been made free too a couple of months ago (only the old f2p areas ofcourse) so if you feel like experience some nostalgia, you don't have to pay 6$ anymore :D

But if it did come to consoles, it'd be the grindiest trophy list ever! lol

Yeah I do know about old school RuneScape, and what they're doing over there seems to be far better - they actually care about meaningful content updates over there. That's probably why an insane number of people play that version over the regular version. I'm talking about main RuneScape though, where every third "news" post on the main page is about a real-world money mini-game and every other news post is about something irrevelent, lol

I actually had this conversation with a friend recently and we both agreed that we'd love Runescape to come to PS4.

Regarding the whole point and click issue, they can just make it that a mouse and/or keyboard can be the recommended accessories/peripherals to be used, somewhat like FFXIV where it's easier to use a mouse rather than the controller, but still controller-friendly.

The trophy list would hopefully be grindy af, considering the game is built around grindy-ness to improve your account :P

But tbh, the only way I could see Runescape ever being accessible to play on PS4 is if the PS4's web browser got an update. Making Runescape a standalone cross-play game on PS4 is asking for way too much effort with little profit