How long did VR 18 take you?

• 2 weeks later...

I remember being utterly terrified of VR18, but it only took me around 15-20 tries all put together. The absolute hardest part was ensuring the Fenrir in round 3 would take out a heavy cyborg and that I would be able to kill it fast enough. Also practicing perfect parrying the Mastiffs in round 2, that was always a coin flip. The GRAD was stupid easy with the Sai.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the last thing I need for the platinum and I will tell you that this is very hard. You get 1 shotted pretty much unless the game is generous and gives you quarter health or something. I can not get past the 3rd wave, because you will find out like me that it is random as shit. The Fenrir acts erratic half the time and you can't get him to do what you want. If he doesn't fire his knives and runs to the middle you have to resort to running around in circles around them and rolling a dice pretty much. Because the Fenrir can do a laser attack that has some sort of AIMBOT!

I thought I would give it a few days break because maybe I have burnout from getting every other main game trophy ? and getting gold in every other VR mission but yeah, whoever designed this is a sadistic bastard.

Edited by ElektrickRage
Typo
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, KingTom95 said:

Is the GRAD method with Sai patched ?

Made it to the GRAD three times now but everytime after one stun it wont get stunned for another time...

Have you upgraded the Sai fully? If so, remember that you gotta wait for the purple glow to return to the weapon before it can stun again. iirc it’s about 5 seconds exactly.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, nrs1nrs1 said:

Have you upgraded the Sai fully? If so, remember that you gotta wait for the purple glow to return to the weapon before it can stun again. iirc it’s about 5 seconds exactly.

After my post i was thinking that it might be an upgrade issue and upgraded it to level 3 which made me able to stun him a couple more times but i still ended up getting killed…

Honestly i dont know how this weapon works because i rarely used it in my 2 playthroughs. I didnt knew its charging up first so thanks for the heads-up.

I will try it with a fully upgraded Sai later when im at home and make an update when im done with it. 

Edit: Managed to get it done with the Sai trick however i cant tell if it was because of the upgrade or if i was messing up before. I remember that i pressed the button too fast yesterday before it was charged up and today with the fully upgraded Sai i still messed up once. If you mess up the loop somehow and it starts moving there is no chance to stun it again (at least this was the case for me even with a fully charged Sai) 

What helped me was to step back and jump everytime he fell down to his knees and stun him again. So yeah not 100% sure about the upgrade but there is no reason to go in there without fully upgraded sub weapons anyways, i just didnt knew upgrades for sub weapons carry over into VR missions. 

Most of the helpful stuff has been said in this thread already but another tip i can give is to finish VR mission 19 first, the reason is that you can practice perfect parries against the fenir enemies. My tactic was to perfect parry the Fenir in phase 3 as soon as possible and then wail on the hammer guys with the pole, just press triangle twice and jump away, takes 2-3 mins but its an easy way to kill them.

Dont expect to get this done right away and be happy about every little progress. Most of the time my biggest enemy was my own stupidity.

Edited by KingTom95
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hey! Probably a dumb question but does this VR DLC require any additional equipment or just the PS3 controller? I am going to buy a PS3 soon and I wanted to know if it's possible to get the 100% with just the controller. I never had this console so I am still doing some research.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, zemiguelreis said:

Hey! Probably a dumb question but does this VR DLC require any additional equipment or just the PS3 controller? I am going to buy a PS3 soon and I wanted to know if it's possible to get the 100% with just the controller. I never had this console so I am still doing some research.

Hi there! All DLC is able to be completed with a normal PS3 controller :) No extra peripherals or anything needed!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Took me around 7 hours. I had many problems with the 3rd wave (the dog and the hammer dudes). Most of the times I would die just after the dog killed one cyborg. Sometimes I died with just a cyborg since 1 hit from them just kills you (I should have used the pincher blade). One time I even managed to die by a dwarf gekko (it did that kind of slap thing) when I entered blade mode to kill the last cyborg via zandatsu! Managed to do it while the dog killed a cyborg and then I perfect parrying an attack from the dog that stunned both the dog and the other cyborg. I chose to zandatsu the cyborg and then I killed the dog which was easy without any cyborgs around. Last wave was a pieceof cake with the sai weapon.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, athanasios_osfp said:

Took me around 7 hours. I had many problems with the 3rd wave (the dog and the hammer dudes). Most of the times I would die just after the dog killed one cyborg. Sometimes I died with just a cyborg since 1 hit from them just kills you (I should have used the pincher blade). One time I even managed to die by a dwarf gekko (it did that kind of slap thing) when I entered blade mode to kill the last cyborg via zandatsu! Managed to do it while the dog killed a cyborg and then I perfect parrying an attack from the dog that stunned both the dog and the other cyborg. I chose to zandatsu the cyborg and then I killed the dog which was easy without any cyborgs around. Last wave was a pieceof cake with the sai weapon.

nice work dude! Great to see you back on the Revengeance train :)

• Like 1

Took me around 3 hours to beat. Yes, it is the hardest VR mission, but patience will get you through. Only the 3rd wave is really hard.

1st wave: just wait for the Gekko to charge you for an easy kill.

2nd wave: wait for those gorilla-like Mastiffs to do a wall jump and then time your parry when they jump on you for an easy stun.

3rd wave: I recommend to position yourself so that the Fenrir kills at least one Heavily Armed Cyborg with its ranged attacks. After that, wait for the Fenrir to jump on you, parry and stun it, then kill the remaining Cyborg.

4th wave: this one is the easiest one. Equip the Monsoon's sai, wait for the weapon to glow purple and use it on the GRAD. Hit it with your sword while it's stunned, then use the sai again when the stun is over. Easy-peasy.

And remember, guys - patience is the key. You will win eventually.

Edited by BubbleJayGum
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I got it after about 2 hours, however DLC 27 took me over 6 hours and DLC 30 took me about 5 hours. Those are definitely harder.

Once you get the timing right for perfect parries, especially on the mastiff, this VR 18 really isn't too bad.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

It took me a couple of hours now(I beat it but didn't beat 19-20 that's why I don't have the trophy yet) BUT I already platted this game in 2013 with another account, so I was pretty much an "expert". Still I platted MGR:R in a month in 2013 so I don't think it took me that long anyway, don't be scared about trying this game out, it just takes a bit of practice.

Edited by ryuzakix5