National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

When you have a defense this good, sometimes it seems like you can go and remove some pieces and it would still be fine.

Yup, look at what happened to Seattle last year against the Pats.  Lane got hurt picking off Brady in the endzone on the 1st drive and got replaced by Simon.  Even with Kam, Earl and Sherm still back there it didn't matter.  Simon had a big red target on him and Brady exploited him all night.  You lose one piece and the whole machine can break down, no matter how talented the rest of the parts are.

He does talk a lot but I still disagree. When you have a defense this good, sometimes it seems like you can go and remove some pieces and it would still be fine. But the type of defense they have run all season requires beyond average cornerbacks. There cannot be a weak point. You may say so now, but only when Talib is gone and their backup, Bradley Robe comes in will you truly notice a difference. In my opinion nobody in their right mind would trade or release their top cornerback after their pass defense was ranked #1 in the NFL. Aqib Talib can be beat on a few plays, but you will see him exploited rarely ever, that just may not be the case with Robe. If one cornerback gets exposed, more often than not the safety needs to do more, then the linebackers need to do more. It's a domino effect that could have huge implications on the overall wellbeing of the defense. 

Robe played a lot in the Super Bowl and he did fantastic.  Denver's bench is pretty deep with talented players.  I've seen this argument made a lot in the past only to see the defense improve once certain players leave. 

Yup, look at what happened to Seattle last year against the Pats.  Lane got hurt picking off Brady in the endzone on the 1st drive and got replaced by Simon.  Even with Kam, Earl and Sherm still back there it didn't matter.  Simon had a big red target on him and Brady exploited him all night.  You lose one piece and the whole machine can break down, no matter how talented the rest of the parts are.

To my point above, I can see how losing someone within a game can change the dynamic, but I was thinking more so for next season.  We can never really know unless Denver keeps every single defensive player from this year except Talib, but even then it's a new year next year and people might not play as well.  personally I still believe Talib is overrated.  While he has made some good plays, and he's a good 1on1 guy, I've seen him falter more often this year than last and he makes a lot of big mistakes. 

I guess in the end we will disagree on this, but I stand by my statement that Talib is not as good as he and many others think he is.  He is a good corner, but he's no longer elite, and all the penalties and untimely mistakes he made this year will be compounded next year.  One of his mistakes cost Denver a game earlier in the year and it could have been worse.  I'm pretty sure he'll be the one people point at next year when Denver slumps (you know they will, that D cannot be as good next year, it was just amazing this year).

To my point above, I can see how losing someone within a game can change the dynamic, but I was thinking more so for next season.  We can never really know unless Denver keeps every single defensive player from this year except Talib, but even then it's a new year next year and people might not play as well.  personally I still believe Talib is overrated.  While he has made some good plays, and he's a good 1on1 guy, I've seen him falter more often this year than last and he makes a lot of big mistakes. 

I guess in the end we will disagree on this, but I stand by my statement that Talib is not as good as he and many others think he is.  He is a good corner, but he's no longer elite, and all the penalties and untimely mistakes he made this year will be compounded next year.  One of his mistakes cost Denver a game earlier in the year and it could have been worse.  I'm pretty sure he'll be the one people point at next year when Denver slumps (you know they will, that D cannot be as good next year, it was just amazing this year).

I wasn't agreeing about Talib specifically, just that you never know how much of an impact even a single minor change might make.  And I also doubt their defense will be as good next year as they were this year... even if they weren't #1 in scoring  B)

• 2 weeks later...

Move over Chris Johnson.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/03/05/wendall-williams-runs-4-19-second-40-at-regional-combine/

Wendall Williams, a wide receiver from the University of the Cumberlands, ran an incredible 4.19-second 40-yard dash at a regional combine today. That breaks the official Scouting Combine record of 4.24 seconds, set by Chris Johnson.

Bruce Irvin to the Raiders.. That team is getting very dangerous. A couple more pieces and they may be in position to give the AFC Playoffs a legitimate run.

Yeah and plus the raiders have a lot of $$$ to spend this offseason

Bruce Irvin to the Raiders.. That team is getting very dangerous. A couple more pieces and they may be in position to give the AFC Playoffs a legitimate run. 

I'm curious to see how he does there.  As a compliment to Mack he could be dangerous but if they put too much on his plate I suspect he could be another Byron Maxwell. I was worried about Bruce going to Arizona because of their "blitz-blitz-blitz-blitz' mentality, he would be a nightmare in their formula, but as a top-tier stand alone piece, who knows.

Also, the overpaying of mediocre/bad QB's is getting waaaaaaaaaay out of hand.  So glad to be a fan of a team that has "their guy" locked up for a while.  Now they just gotta protect him.

I'm curious to see how he does there.  As a compliment to Mack he could be dangerous but if they put too much on his plate I suspect he could be another Byron Maxwell. I was worried about Bruce going to Arizona because of their "blitz-blitz-blitz-blitz' mentality, he would be a nightmare in their formula, but as a top-tier stand alone piece, who knows.

Also, the overpaying of mediocre/bad QB's is getting waaaaaaaaaay out of hand.  So glad to be a fan of a team that has "their guy" locked up for a while.  Now they just gotta protect him.

I want to agree with you about the quarterback situation but I can't. The good quarterbacks in the league right now are extremely limited. I would only classify between 2 and 4 quarterbacks as elite with those being: Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady for sure and probably Wilson and Brees too. You could also argue for Cam Newton I suppose. Then there is probably about 5-10 "good" quarterbacks on other teams that can get it done with the right pieces around them. Then you have all of the other 10-15 teams with average to bad quarterbacks, many of which are fighting for 3-5 guys that they think can do make an impact with the right pieces around them. It's just a great time to be a crappy quarterback I guess.  

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000645937/article/nfl-could-play-in-germany-by-2017-china-by-2018

so Now they are considering Germany for a game in 2017.

#IDon'tLikethisonebit

It's called money and the NFL trying to make some.  It's also called being a business with global appeal and trying to grow those emerging foreign markets.

The odd international game isn't a big deal.  It only turns into logistical nightmares if/when the NFL (or another sport) tries to expand overseas.

No need to make a mountain out of a molehill.