National Football League Thread

cmgravekeeper

I wonder if the NFL will try to outlaw teams doing that by a new rule change or something

The NFL doesn't need to write a new rule for this sort of happenstance -- it's already covered in the Rule Book under the broader interpretations of "Unsportsmanlike Conduct" if the League wishes it to be officiated that way and the referees are instructed to call it.  And it's a lot more than a 15-yard penalty if it gets invoked, because the rule permits the referees to provide whatever remedy they deem appropriate for such an act, up to and including awarding touchdowns if it is deemed that one would have been scored in the absence of such flagrant acts.

I vaguely recall a Steelers-Ravens game many years back when Mike Tomlin came onto the field during a kick/punt situation and obstructed the Baltimore returner, with a touchdown being awarded to Baltimore as a result.

EDIT:  The specific verbiage in the Rule Book is that it can be deemed a "palpably unfair act".  At a minimum, the referees could wipe out the play, restore the game clock to its' pre-play status, and order the play run again.

I suppose if the Ravens try to do this again, the League Office could amend the ruling and instruct the referees in such a spot to award the safety and to put the time back on the game clock and then force the Ravens to free kick, leaving the receiving team an opportunity to win the game in spite of these shenanigans.  And that would put an end to that.

For example, this rule is why teams don't commit blatant acts of Pass Interference on the last play of a game, because the referees don't have to simply flag PI but could simply award touchdowns on the spot.

The NFL made a statement about the play saying it was acceptable.  If they did it on 2 consecutive plays it would be deemed unfair.

The NFL made a statement about the play saying it was acceptable.  If they did it on 2 consecutive plays it would be deemed unfair.

Weren't the Ravens the group that whined about deflated footballs, encouraged the Colts to do the same, and both got Tom Brady suspended and a rule change installed about how air pressure was monitored?

Wasn't Baltimore the team that bitched and moaned about New England being creative with eligible and ineligible receivers and push through a rule change about that as well?

I hope somebody bitches and moans enough about this scheme from Baltimore and gets a rule change to forbid it as well with dire consequences for those who won't comply.  And if I'm rooting for a smackdown from the Karma Hammer on this particular issue, I hope it's Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft who are leading the charge and get it done.

• Like 1

You could cherry-pick games for Thursday night similar to how they do so for Monday night (and Sunday night earlier in the season before flex-games) and you'd still have a problem with shitty games between shitty teams in Prime Time.  There's simply too much variance in how teams perform from year to year that makes it nigh-impossible to figure out if that wonderful-looking game is between a pair of great teams or a pair of dumpster fires or simply resembles Ohio State Buckeyes v. Sisters of the Poor.

It's going to be an issue of money and perhaps logistics.  If NBC and CBS don't want to pony up enough cash after the end of the 2017 season, that will be the end of Thursday Night Football.  It's not likely to happen for any other reason.

Speaking of the inability to prognosticate which teams will be good from year to year, has anyone noticed how few of last year's playoff teams look like reasonable bets to make a return trip?  Seattle is going to win their division, New England is going to win theirs.... but I'm not very comfortable putting ANY of the other 10 teams from last year back in the playoffs.  Kansas City seems like a decent bet, Houston and Pittsburgh have the crappy divisions needed for them to emerge from mediocrity to host a Wild Card game, Minnesota is hanging in there as well, but Arizona-Green Bay-Carolina-Cincinnati all look like they're in serious trouble and I'm not very bull-ish about the chances of Denver or Washington.

Weren't the Ravens the group that whined about deflated footballs, encouraged the Colts to do the same, and both got Tom Brady suspended and a rule change installed about how air pressure was monitored?

Wasn't Baltimore the team that bitched and moaned about New England being creative with eligible and ineligible receivers and push through a rule change about that as well?

I hope somebody bitches and moans enough about this scheme from Baltimore and gets a rule change to forbid it as well with dire consequences for those who won't comply.  And if I'm rooting for a smackdown from the Karma Hammer on this particular issue, I hope it's Bill Belichick and Robert Kraft who are leading the charge and get it done.

I guess it goes to show that if you piss and moan long and loud enough, something is likely to happen.  That doesn't fit Belichick personality, although he does have friends in high places.

I guess it goes to show that if you piss and moan long and loud enough, something is likely to happen.  That doesn't fit Belichick personality, although he does have friends in high places.

As a guy who has had a front-row seat to the Bill Belichick show for a very long time, it actually would fit his personality.  It's not an absolute, but Belichick can be petty and vindictive with the best of them and he's frequently the most arrogant fucker in his area code.

It would be just like him (at times) to politic through a rules change to take this particular "tactic" from the Ravens just as the Ravens politic'd through their own rules change to prevent Bill Belichick from declaring his RBs and TEs as ineligible receivers as to (legally) confuse a defense.  "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" or "hoist by your own petard" or whatever other snarky saying you wish to apply would fit.

As a guy who has had a front-row seat to the Bill Belichick show for a very long time, it actually would fit his personality.  It's not an absolute, but Belichick can be petty and vindictive with the best of them and he's frequently the most arrogant fucker in his area code.

It would be just like him (at times) to politic through a rules change to take this particular "tactic" from the Ravens just as the Ravens politic'd through their own rules change to prevent Bill Belichick from declaring his RBs and TEs as ineligible receivers as to (legally) confuse a defense.  "What's good for the goose is good for the gander" or "hoist by your own petard" or whatever other snarky saying you wish to apply would fit.

Belichick is not out spoken and is generally ultra reserved.  He says little and even when he gets up set he is succinct.  That is my point.  He will not cry and complain to the media and make a scene.  He might speak his mind, but leave it there, and likely not address it again, even when hounded.  I don't disagree that he would politic or whatever.  For example, I bet you he was instrumental about Brady rule changes, but we never heard from him.  Even when defending himself, spygate/deflategate etc, he didn't rant and rave.  It's not his personality.  He is a serpent, not a (screaming) panther.

My Week 13 NFL Tips

My Cowboys over Vikings

Falcons over Chiefs

49ers over Bears

Eagles over Bengals

Broncos over Jags

Saints over Lions

Packers over Texans

Patriots over Rams

Ravens over Dolphins

Raiders over Bills

Steelers over Giants

Redskins over Cardinals

Chargers over Bucs

Seahawks over Panthers

Colts over Jets

I am taking Lions (their offense better be in gear to keep pace) over Saints

Dolphins (wary of them playing a .500+ team) over Ravens

Giants over Steelers

I think the Ram's D will give Brady trouble for 2-3 quarters, but they will put on a show at some point.

yeah there's a good few games this week that could go either way

and maybe the bye will beat the browns as well :P

I am taking Lions (their offense better be in gear to keep pace) over Saints

Dolphins (wary of them playing a .500+ team) over Ravens

Giants over Steelers

I think the Ram's D will give Brady trouble for 2-3 quarters, but they will put on a show at some point.

With gronk out, Rams D will look good for 3+ quarters and the pats will have to put the game away near the end.  I wonder how Goff or Joff or whatever does.

yeah there's a good few games this week that could go either way

and maybe the bye will beat the browns as well :P

I wanted to add the chiefs too, but then I would have to make a comment about how I predicted their demise and my back tracking (regardless, I don't think they are as good as their record).

Cowboys eek out another bad win against a down team with zero offense... whoopie.  Certainly didn't help the case for taking them seriously as a #1 seed.

I have difficulty blaming NFL teams for their schedules because they have very little to do with it.  It's not like someone's favorite college team that scheduled North Dakota State, Howard, Galludet, and Lady Christine's Kindergarten for Special Children to round out their schedule.  In other words: it's not Dallas' fault that Minnesota has no offense because half of their players are on Injured Reserve.  (In my opinion, anyhow.)

I have difficulty blaming NFL teams for their schedules because they have very little to do with it.  It's not like someone's favorite college team that scheduled North Dakota State, Howard, Galludet, and Lady Christine's Kindergarten for Special Children to round out their schedule.  In other words: it's not Dallas' fault that Minnesota has no offense because half of their players are on Injured Reserve.  (In my opinion, anyhow.)

I agree, doesn't change the fact that they've been beating up on bad teams all year though.  Maybe, come playoff time, they'll prove me wrong.  Especially since the NFC as a whole is pretty down this year but the way they've been barely escaping games against very average to below average teams doesn't lead me to believe they're going to be the juggernaut they were during the regular season.  Honestly, I have a hard time believing any NFC team will be hoisting the Lombardi when it's all said and done, 

I agree, doesn't change the fact that they've been beating up on bad teams all year though.  Maybe, come playoff time, they'll prove me wrong.  Especially since the NFC as a whole is pretty down this year but the way they've been barely escaping games against very average to below average teams doesn't lead me to believe they're going to be the juggernaut they were during the regular season.  Honestly, I have a hard time believing any NFC team will be hoisting the Lombardi when it's all said and done, 

No, it doesn't change a thing.  But these are many of the same arguments that were thrown at the Carolina Panthers for much of last year and their magic carpet ride didn't end until the Super Bowl.

There are certain things the Dallas Cowboys do very well -- the run game and the offensive line in particular spring to mind -- and they've been doing them very well against pretty much everybody on their schedule.  And there are times I get vibes similar to the 2001 Patriots (e.g., Brady/Bledsoe v. Prescott/Romo), though that doesn't mean a damned thing until we have the benefit of hindsight to judge that in February or March.

And with Rob Gronkowski out, I don't have the faintest clue who to make the Super Bowl favorite because there are so many arguments for and against pretty much every contender and would-be contender at this stage.

No, it doesn't change a thing.  But these are many of the same arguments that were thrown at the Carolina Panthers for much of last year and their magic carpet ride didn't end until the Super Bowl.

There are certain things the Dallas Cowboys do very well -- the run game and the offensive line in particular spring to mind -- and they've been doing them very well against pretty much everybody on their schedule.  And there are times I get vibes similar to the 2001 Patriots (e.g., Brady/Bledsoe v. Prescott/Romo), though that doesn't mean a damned thing until we have the benefit of hindsight to judge that in February or March.

And with Rob Gronkowski out, I don't have the faintest clue who to make the Super Bowl favorite because there are so many arguments for and against pretty much every contender and would-be contender at this stage.

Don't forget the Panthers 15-1 season was book-ended with a 7-8-1 season and a (currently) 4-7 season, and they had some important things go their way on the way to the superbowl (like hosting a 10 A.M game against a Seattle team that just the week before played a brutal 10 A.M. game in minus a billion degree weather).  The Panthers are a good team for sure, but the 15-1 superbowl run was heavily assisted by outside factors.

I'll agree that their running game and O-line and legit, I just want to know what happens when they're taken away.  Can Dak carry a game by himself?  If Minnesota was capable of anything on offense everyone would currently be saying no.