PS3 Update 4.20

HeySumbode

Via the PS Blog US/EU

Tomorrow we will be releasing a new system software update (v4.20) for PlayStation 3 which will include a few minor updates in order to strengthen functionality and improve your overall experience.

As mentioned in our previous blog post, system software update (v4.10) added a feature that enabled you to hear your own voice through the Wireless Stereo Headset when playing multiplayer modes. This type of audio feedback is known as “sidetone.” Based on your comments, system software update (v4.20) will improve sidetone audio performance by giving you the option to select one out of five levels for microphone audio, or turn the feature off completely. For those of you who use the Wireless Stereo Headset to watch Blu-ray or DVD movies on your PS3, this system software update will also enable virtual surround sound functionality, giving you a superior audio experience.

This update will also allow you to set the amount of time that the system will wait before turning itself off automatically for [Video/TV/Music/Photo] and for [Game/Other Features].

Additionally, saved data management has been improved. You will now be able to select multiple saved data items and delete or copy them as a group.

More details will be available here tomorrow once the system software update is live.

Edited by HeySumbode
  • Like 2

When is the rumored update coming that allows you to see Vita trophies on your PS3??? I was told by someone that would be coming out, and as far as I know it has not happened. Does anybody have any info regarding this? To respond directly to the topic, I don't use headsets, so this update will not affect me, however, being able to regulate if the PS3 automatically turns off, and being able to delete multiple pieces of data at once is VERY useful. Nice work Sony, but seriously a the trophy update..........hurry up!

When is the rumored update coming that allows you to see Vita trophies on your PS3??? I was told by someone that would be coming out, and as far as I know it has not happened. Does anybody have any info regarding this?

I personally don't know of any new info regarding that at this time. But i'm sure as soon as something surfaces someone will post it here... :)

It really sucks that i can't see my friends when they are on their vita or their trophies... :(

I personally don't know of any new info regarding that at this time. But i'm sure as soon as something surfaces someone will post it here... :)

It really sucks that i can't see my friends when they are on their vita or their trophies... :(

Agreed, as much as they are pushing cross platform play, this omission is unacceptable. I mean you can see them all on your Vita but not your PS3. :(

Agreed, as much as they are pushing cross platform play, this omission is unacceptable. I mean you can see them all on your Vita but not your PS3. :(

I do agree that it is a pretty odd omission, but I believe they will fix it soon. In reality it isn't a huge deal, but I'm sure Sony are aware of how many people want the feature (myself included) and are working on a fix.

Parker

I do agree that it is a pretty odd omission, but I believe they will fix it soon. In reality it isn't a huge deal, but I'm sure Sony are aware of how many people want the feature (myself included) and are working on a fix.

Parker

WRONGGGG!!!!!! ;P lol It is a HUGE deal to trophy diehards like me. You have no clue how important it is to me. I know it is silly, but I won't be happy till it is added.

Dusted off my old PS3 (second gen) and installed 4.20. And now no games will work at all. This happened back when too, with update 2.0, I think. Good times. DVDs still work, which is pretty much worthless to me.

Guess I get to wait for a week (if then!) to see if 4.21 fixes the issue.

Dusted off my old PS3 (second gen) and installed 4.20. And now no games will work at all. This happened back when too, with update 2.0, I think. Good times. DVDs still work, which is pretty much worthless to me.

Guess I get to wait for a week (if then!) to see if 4.21 fixes the issue.

Installed the update on my launch PS3...GT5 worked just fine after the update.

Installed the update on my launch PS3...GT5 worked just fine after the update.

I just checked my model to see -- mine is a second gen (first gen of the 80gb) model CECHE01 -- the first gen they started the hybrid of hardware/software emulation for PS2. I've had this issue in the past with updates, and they've always been resolved with the next minor patch, so I'll assume this is no different, even though I've not so much as turned my PS3 on in well over a year.

At least this doesn't seem to be wide-spread, but I can use no BD at all, movies or games. Sucks. DVDs do work, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't just that the hardware happened to fail at the same time. But I can't rule it out as I'm also pretty sure they use different reading optics internally. Guess I'll wait and see!

I just checked my model to see -- mine is a second gen (first gen of the 80gb) model CECHE01 -- the first gen they started the hybrid of hardware/software emulation for PS2. I've had this issue in the past with updates, and they've always been resolved with the next minor patch, so I'll assume this is no different, even though I've not so much as turned my PS3 on in well over a year.

At least this doesn't seem to be wide-spread, but I can use no BD at all, movies or games. Sucks. DVDs do work, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't just that the hardware happened to fail at the same time. But I can't rule it out as I'm also pretty sure they use different reading optics internally. Guess I'll wait and see!

im not an expert at this sort of thing but could it be you have missed a previous update for it and thats why this one wont work?!

seeing as you havent used it in over a year.....

Fat

Generation 1 - Only release in JP and US had Hardware emulator for PS2

Generation 2 - Had only a Software emulator for PS2 and was only release in EU.

Generation 3 - No PS2 BC.

Slim

Look it up on Wikipedia.org