The Book Club

LittleLamb121

Am I allowed to suggest a book, but not actually read it since I already have? ^<>^

I see no reason why that'd be a problem, as long as there's no spoilers or anything of course. It could be fun to see what others think of a book you like, and you could help keep conversation moving too, since you already know the book!

I see no reason why that'd be a problem, as long as there's no spoilers or anything of course. It could be fun to see what others think of a book you like, and you could help keep conversation moving too, since you already know the book!

Ok! I want to recommend "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It's a really great book filled with pop culture references. I read it in about 3 days ^<>^ I don't want to explain very much of it so that I don't spoil it. 

This sounds like a pretty neat idea! I'd be willing to join this.

Sounds like a neat idea. Haven't really read much English literature apart from the Lotr saga but i always wanted to read more titles in English. If the chosen book is to my liking then i might participate in this.

You actually made a topic about it, good to see that  :wave:

I love reading,so I'm totally up to follow this idea.

Ok! I want to recommend "Ready Player One" by Ernest Cline. It's a really great book filled with pop culture references. I read it in about 3 days ^<>^ I don't want to explain very much of it so that I don't spoil it. 

Sweet that you actually made the thread. Love reading, so I'd be willing to join in.

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses already! That's a great sign. If you have books you'd like to read, go ahead and post them here. For the first book, I'll probably just let it be randomly decided, if that works with everyone. I'll probably switch to a poll after that.

Also, is 2 days per chapter good with everyone? Will you need more or less time?

Wow, I didn't expect so many responses already! That's a great sign. If you have books you'd like to read, go ahead and post them here. For the first book, I'll probably just let it be randomly decided, if that works with everyone. I'll probably switch to a poll after that.

Also, is 2 days per chapter good with everyone? Will you need more or less time?

I'd say that really depends on the book.  Some have super short or variable length chapters, while others have really long chapters.  It'd probably be enough to take a quick scan through whatever book is chosen and say 1-3 chapters, and then if everybody is hitting checkpoints daily or falling behind you could adjust accordingly.

I love reading as well, I generally read Fantasy/Sci-fi with some horror and other stuff thrown in.  Most of the books I would recommend I've already read, but I'm more than willing to re-read most of them, and would like to see what other people suggest as well.

I've always wanted to read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

And 2 days for a chapter should be fine. Although i think that it would be better to spread it out to a few chapters a week. So people can plan more accordingly. Some have lots of time on weekends and not on week days.

Edited by Zone Hunter

I'd say that really depends on the book.  Some have super short or variable length chapters, while others have really long chapters.  It'd probably be enough to take a quick scan through whatever book is chosen and say 1-3 chapters, and then if everybody is hitting checkpoints daily or falling behind you could adjust accordingly.

I love reading as well, I generally read Fantasy/Sci-fi with some horror and other stuff thrown in.  Most of the books I would recommend I've already read, but I'm more than willing to re-read most of them, and would like to see what other people suggest as well.

I've always wanted to read the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

And 2 days for a chapter should be fine. Although i think that it would be better to spread it out to a few chapters a week. So people can plan more accordingly. Some have lots of time on weekends and not on week days.

I'd be interested in this for sure.  I'm trying to read more classics at the moment to mix up with the more modern stuff.

Currently Reading - The Crow Road - Iain Banks / Norwegian Wood - Haruki Murakami, both are authors I would recommend to any adult reader.

Audio Books count? I stopped reading when i could listen to books while grinding on JRPG.

So far listening to Armada By Ernist Cline

Killing Floor and Silence of the Lambs as well.

Of course! Any kind of book is allowed here  :D

I'll go ahead and put that on the first post as well, since I could see that being a common question.

I adore reading so I'd be up for this, currently working my way through The Dark Tower series :)

When a book is picked, can we have a little window before starting, as will be getting mine from the library ^_^

I tend to stick to sci-fi/fantasy/horror so will be interested to experience some other suggested reads 

Of course! I'll more than likely be getting mine from the library myself, and so will others I'm sure. 

Alright, I've gone ahead and updated the first post a bit. Now, everyone go ahead and suggest anything that you'd like to try and read and tomorrow after work (so about this time) I'll be randomly selecting one book to be our first book! And to everyone who has already suggested things, I will be counting those as well, don't worry.

A question for you all: If we read a book that continues in a series, would you want to continue reading the series or move on to something new and let everyone read it on their own time (assuming it's a liked book of course)?

I'll go ahead and put my own book in that I want to read: Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

• Like 1

I apologize about the long wait everyone. I got really sick, and I still am actually, so I wanted to wait a bit before I went ahead and updated this thread. 

The book that was randomly selected was Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. What I'm thinking is that everyone should try to get a copy of the book (be it audio, library, purchased, whatever floats your boat) and to read the prologue by next Sunday, so a week from today. Does that sound good with everyone?

Alright, remember that you're welcome to comment in here at any time, either with questions or comments about the section we are currently reading. So be careful if you haven't already finished the prologue, as there may be spoilers from here on out.

I'll also be updating this information into the first thread. Anyways, let's go and have fun!

• Like 2

Alright everyone, it has officially been one week since that last post. Has everyone been able to complete the goal of obtaining the book and reading through the Prologue? 

Also, after obtaining a copy of the book and looking through it, it seems like 2 chapters a week should be a good amount for everyone. They're good length without being too long.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any recommendation of a book that made you laugh  hysterically.

Audible and goodreads all point to Bossypants, Mindy Kaling 2 boring books, and so on.

The last time a book made me laugh crazy was Ender's game(that was at least 12 years ago)....manga does it job of making me laugh.

• 1 month later...

Anyone have any recommendation of a book that made you laugh  hysterically.

Audible and goodreads all point to Bossypants, Mindy Kaling 2 boring books, and so on.

The last time a book made me laugh crazy was Ender's game(that was at least 12 years ago)....manga does it job of making me laugh.

Anything by John Swartzwelder - I started with "The Time Machine Did It" but you can read them in any order.

• 1 month later...