The Great Australian Trophy Hunt - Expression of Interest

Maybe we could work around the no hidden trophies rule? If a contestant provides a list of games and the number of trophies for each game they have hidden then it could work, that way both yourself and feral611 can enter. Although it does create extra work and would rely upon contestants being completely honest by providing accurate information and not hiding or un-hiding trophies throughout the season. Also by allowing it then it opens the door for contestants to hide trophies before the season commences to alter statistics. I'd like to hear what everyone else thinks about this, I'm still on the side of no hidden trophies as it's nice and clean.

Sounds good. Obviously I would prefer to use the workaround (the only trophies I have hidden are the ones from games where I earned a couple of trophies and will never even be attempting to finish) but if hidden trophies are still a no-no I can unhide them.

It's definitely a good discussion to have because it can open up the contest to a few more people, especially considering that both feral611 and Lightning_0608 only have 22 an 11 hidden trophies respectively. How does everyone else feel about this?

I see no problem in this. The more the merrier 

This sounds like a cool idea. Haven't been in any site comps but I'd like to sign up for this 

• Backlog Challenge = each contestant can nominate 6 games from their backlog (because we all suffer from this dreaded curse :P ) that they plan to play throughout the season and earn points for completing them. Once you have named your 6 choices you won't be able to change them so pick carefully, choices must be submitted by the commencement of the competition. To be eligible for this category games must: not have been started by the contestant prior to the commencement of this competition (so it must not appear on your profile), the game must have been released prior to 31st December 2014 (it can be on any platform) and the game must have a platinum trophy (it can be a retail or digital release). Points are awarded for obtaining the platinum trophy only, each contestant will be awarded 20 points for an ultra rare platinum, 15 points for a very rare platinum, 12 points for a rare platinum, 9 points for an uncommon platinum and 5 points for a common platinum. Platinum rarity will be taken from the date that the next update occurs.

Just wanted to ask, is there a reason our backlog games cant be anything released during 2015?

I see no problem in this. The more the merrier 

Thanks for the input Gibbo_0113, looks like the rule could be overturned if there aren't any major objections. Agreed, the more the merrier. Plus the more people that enter gives me a better chance of staying off the bottom of the table :D .

This sounds like a cool idea. Haven't been in any site comps but I'd like to sign up for this 

Just wanted to ask, is there a reason our backlog games cant be anything released during 2015?

Added, welcome to the contest black__bunny! No particular reason, just personal preference and interpretation. My initial thought behind the decision was that if I made it 31st December 2015 then contestants could play games that released less than a few weeks prior to the competition commencing, to me the idea of a backlog is made up of games that were released a while ago that you never got a chance to play for whatever reason and not so much new releases. The majority of my 'backlog' games will probably come from 2010 or earlier.

• Like 1

So after considering it for a few days I think that I have come up with a solution. Members with hidden trophies will be allowed to compete, however they must disclose the trophies that have been hidden prior to the commencement of the competition (i.e. 4 x bronze and 1 x silver for game X). If the number of hidden trophies changes during the course of the competition then the contestant will be disqualified from the completion and rarity categories, any points earned from these categories to date will be stripped and a review will take place so the points can be re-allocated.

feral611 and Lightning_0608, will you be entering now that you're eligible? Also patrickogormon19 and Jeygopi, will you be entering? Everybody still has quite a bit of time to make a decision anyway, the competition doesn't start until January and I probably won't make the actual thread for it until late November or early December.

• Like 1

I'm down but I probably won't be the most competitive or active, but I do love comparing myself to stuff.

I got flagged for LBP 2 though. Long story, didn't cheat, copied my save to another PS3 of mine to test a stupid theory, auto popped trophies, looks like I cheated, and now. Actually it's not that long of a story.

Anyway, if you can move past that then I'm in.

Interesting concept and well thought through. I'd suggest a confirmation email (or message via this site) be sent to the participants prior to the commencement of this to ensure those who sign up willing adhere to follow through for the season. That way, you (and potential future admins of this competition) save time re calculating stats for those who join and then do the Houdini.

Can you advise on how you'll calculate stats prior to commencement and rules re let's say, building trophies up for the competition to start then "popping all platinums" in one hit similar to the platinum trophy hunts on this site?

Edited by LxJingoizm

So with these backlog trophies., you say it has to not be on your profile. But I have heaps of games from the backlog cut off that are on my list that I havent touched (I wanted people to chime in on what I should play next, so I mass installed). Does this mean im unable to use them? Im starting to think im gonna get gipped.

So after considering it for a few days I think that I have come up with a solution. Members with hidden trophies will be allowed to compete, however they must disclose the trophies that have been hidden prior to the commencement of the competition (i.e. 4 x bronze and 1 x silver for game X). If the number of hidden trophies changes during the course of the competition then the contestant will be disqualified from the completion and rarity categories, any points earned from these categories to date will be stripped and a review will take place so the points can be re-allocated.

feral611 and Lightning_0608, will you be entering now that you're eligible? Also patrickogormon19 and Jeygopi, will you be entering? Everybody still has quite a bit of time to make a decision anyway, the competition doesn't start until January and I probably won't make the actual thread for it until late November or early December.

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure the 11 trophies I mentioned are all bronze, but I'll check my list on my PS4 to confirm :)

EDIT: 10 Bronze, 1 Silver.

Last of us PS3: 2B 1S

Lumines: 1B

Stranger's Wrath HD: 2B

Hamsterball: 1B

Mahjong: 4B

Edited by Lightning_0608

Awesome, I'm definitely in now.

Added, welcome to the contest feral611!

I'm down but I probably won't be the most competitive or active, but I do love comparing myself to stuff.

I got flagged for LBP 2 though. Long story, didn't cheat, copied my save to another PS3 of mine to test a stupid theory, auto popped trophies, looks like I cheated, and now. Actually it's not that long of a story.

Anyway, if you can move past that then I'm in.

Added, welcome to the contest Super-Fly Spider-Guy! Don't worry, I don't think that I'll be anywhere near the top of the table either so you can compete against me (and probably win too :) ). I had a quick look at your profile and saw that you got flagged for it but it won't really affect this competition. Auto-popped trophies during the competition won't count for scoring though.

You can count me in,

But Outlast stays at 0 AND YOU CAN'T MAKE ME CHANGE IT!

Added, welcome to the contest AuzzieWingman! Sorry what do you mean by Outlast stays at 0? Trophies?

Interesting concept and well thought through. I'd suggest a confirmation email (or message via this site) be sent to the participants prior to the commencement of this to ensure those who sign up willing adhere to follow through for the season. That way, you (and potential future admins of this competition) save time re calculating stats for those who join and then do the Houdini.

Can you advise on how you'll calculate stats prior to commencement and rules re let's say, building trophies up for the competition to start then "popping all platinums" in one hit similar to the platinum trophy hunts on this site?

Thanks LxJingoizm, I will PM everyone when I create the actual competition thread to confirm they're still interested. I will also PM people throughout the competition if I see they aren't active for a while but sometimes life happens so people may not be active at certain points throughout the year for whatever reason.

I'll just take the stats from the contestant's profile on January 1st as the starting point, I'll try to do it as early as possible on the day so the completion and rarity trophies are as accurate as possible. I'll look at everyone's profile and remove any trophies earned after 11:59 on 31st December for the starting stats, this way the trophies earned before the update still count for scoring. As for building up platinums and popping them all at once there's no rule excluding this so if somebody wants to do it they can.

So with these backlog trophies., you say it has to not be on your profile. But I have heaps of games from the backlog cut off that are on my list that I havent touched (I wanted people to chime in on what I should play next, so I mass installed). Does this mean im unable to use them? Im starting to think im gonna get gipped.

If you haven't earned a trophy on games added to your profile then I don't see a problem with using them for the backlog challenge.

For the people that think they wont be very active or don't have many games i say just join anyway. It's all about the fun after all  :)

Also wayne how many participants would be ideal for this? 

I didn't really have a specific number in mind, I think the more people that sign up the better. More people equals more banter, more banter is always a good thing :P .

Absolutely. I'm pretty sure the 11 trophies I mentioned are all bronze, but I'll check my list on my PS4 to confirm :)

EDIT: 10 Bronze, 1 Silver.

Last of us PS3: 2B 1S

Lumines: 1B

Stranger's Wrath HD: 2B

Hamsterball: 1B

Mahjong: 4B

Thanks Lightning_0608, I have added you. Welcome to the contest!

Good idea, I would like to join

Added, welcome to the contest F1nal!

• Like 3

Added, welcome to the contest feral611!

Added, welcome to the contest Super-Fly Spider-Guy! Don't worry, I don't think that I'll be anywhere near the top of the table either so you can compete against me (and probably win too :) ). I had a quick look at your profile and saw that you got flagged for it but it won't really affect this competition. Auto-popped trophies during the competition won't count for scoring though.

Added, welcome to the contest AuzzieWingman! Sorry what do you mean by Outlast stays at 0? Trophies?

Thanks LxJingoizm, I will PM everyone when I create the actual competition thread to confirm they're still interested. I will also PM people throughout the competition if I see they aren't active for a while but sometimes life happens so people may not be active at certain points throughout the year for whatever reason.

I'll just take the stats from the contestant's profile on January 1st as the starting point, I'll try to do it as early as possible on the day so the completion and rarity trophies are as accurate as possible. I'll look at everyone's profile and remove any trophies earned after 11:59 on 31st December for the starting stats, this way the trophies earned before the update still count for scoring. As for building up platinums and popping them all at once there's no rule excluding this so if somebody wants to do it they can.

Awesome mate, count me in

If you haven't earned a trophy on games added to your profile then I don't see a problem with using them for the backlog challenge.

Thankies. Outlast stays at 0 because 5 minutes in I legged it to the home menu, and I feel deleting it off my PS4 will bring me seventy hundred years of bad luck.

Also, thanks for the clarification on the backlog. I have a picture somewhere of my year one buys (65 games total I believe minus PS Plus), which was from 30th November 2013 - 30th November 2014. If I find it I can at least find out which games were definitely in. (I think Shadow of Mordor will be good to nominate hehe).

Awesome mate, count me in

Happy to assist you re spreadsheets etc.

Added, welcome to the contest LxJingoizm!

Damn that looks like a lot of math to be doing lol. Can't wait to see how this goes once the new year hits.

It's not too bad, just a matter of setting up the spreadsheet with the formulas and punch in some numbers. Hopefully it goes well enough for people to be interested in entering a second season!

Thankies. Outlast stays at 0 because 5 minutes in I legged it to the home menu, and I feel deleting it off my PS4 will bring me seventy hundred years of bad luck.

Also, thanks for the clarification on the backlog. I have a picture somewhere of my year one buys (65 games total I believe minus PS Plus), which was from 30th November 2013 - 30th November 2014. If I find it I can at least find out which games were definitely in. (I think Shadow of Mordor will be good to nominate hehe).

Well at least you'll have a lot of options to choose from for your backlog challenge :P .

Can I propose that every participant doesnt collect trophies on new years eve or even before that. This way you have time to lock in the final totals from each account, making it easier to keep track on day one. Also, since NZ and various parts of Australia have different timezones you might not want to provide a schedule with compared start times.

Dont mean to sound petty, but one of my gaming philosophies is to play hard and play fair. An equal start for all participants is something I think is necessary.

Can I propose that every participant doesnt collect trophies on new years eve or even before that. This way you have time to lock in the final totals from each account, making it easier to keep track on day one. Also, since NZ and various parts of Australia have different timezones you might not want to provide a schedule with compared start times.

Dont mean to sound petty, but one of my gaming philosophies is to play hard and play fair. An equal start for all participants is something I think is necessary.

Agreed. Cut off date prior to Xmas? That way we have to wait til Jan 1 to play any Xmas ps games

Sounds like a good idea. Everything fair and the drunks can get pissed on New Years without failing behind lol.