The Great Australian Trophy Hunt - Expression of Interest

Can I propose that every participant doesnt collect trophies on new years eve or even before that. This way you have time to lock in the final totals from each account, making it easier to keep track on day one. Also, since NZ and various parts of Australia have different timezones you might not want to provide a schedule with compared start times.

Dont mean to sound petty, but one of my gaming philosophies is to play hard and play fair. An equal start for all participants is something I think is necessary.

Sounds like a good idea mate. Maybe we do an 11:59pm 30th December cut-off for earning trophies and the competition starts 12:10am January 2nd (trophies earned on 1st January won't count)? That gives everyone enough time to sync their trophies and update their profile so everyone starts off on equal footing.

Regarding the timezones, doesn't the site list the time you earn the trophy according to the timezone you set for your profile? Would anyone really change their tomezone every months to give themselves an extra 2-3 hours before the update? We're not playing for sheep stations...

Sounds like a good idea. Everything fair and the drunks can get pissed on New Years without failing behind lol.

Everybody deserves the right to enjoy a few (or preferably many) drinks on New Years Eve/New Years without falling behind :P .

I'm in, might give me motivation to attack my backlog

Added, welcome to the contest Pineapple-Hero88! I'm hoping the backlog challenge category motivates everyone to knock off a few games from their pile.

• Like 1

Sounds like a good idea mate. Maybe we do an 11:59pm 30th December cut-off for earning trophies and the competition starts 12:10am January 2nd (trophies earned on 1st January won't count)? That gives everyone enough time to sync their trophies and update their profile so everyone starts off on equal footing.

Regarding the timezones, doesn't the site list the time you earn the trophy according to the timezone you set for your profile? Would anyone really change their tomezone every months to give themselves an extra 2-3 hours before the update? We're not playing for sheep stations...

No earning on 31st of December sounds good if that works to your schedule allowing you time to get the participants stats/spreadsheets prepared for the comp. 

I agree, I don't think time zones are that big of an issue. The trophies would be eligible if they fall within that persons timezone which would make the amount of time to get trophies still equal for all. If anyone really wanted to continuously change their timezone for the 2-3 hours that is different, it would mean trophies any earned at the start would be cut off.

No earning on 31st of December sounds good if that works to your schedule allowing you time to get the participants stats/spreadsheets prepared for the comp. 

I agree, I don't think time zones are that big of an issue. The trophies would be eligible if they fall within that persons timezone which would make the amount of time to get trophies still equal for all. If anyone really wanted to continuously change their timezone for the 2-3 hours that is different, it would mean trophies any earned at the start would be cut off.

Yeah I've been thinking about it and I think that having no trophies on 31st December and 1st January would give me enough time to set everything up and for everyone to sync their PSN account and update their profile on this site.

Sounds interesting, sign me up.

Added, welcome to the contest mekktor!

Yeah I've been thinking about it and I think that having no trophies on 31st December and 1st January would give me enough time to set everything up and for everyone to sync their PSN account and update their profile on this site.

Think we should start the comp 2nd 12:00am Jan 2016!

For data collection, Dec 29th 11:59pm should be the last date for trophy syncs etc so it gives you and the team time to collate the information. This way you'll have the 30th (not an important date) to finalise and then chill on 31st to celebrate New Year's Eve with your loved ones and likewise for the 1st.

Then we've all seen family and friends and gotten plastered, we wait for the clock to strike 12:00am to commence on the 2nd.

Thoughts?

Edited by LxJingoizm

I'm interested!

Added, welcome to the contest MattyH16!

Think we should start the comp 2nd 12:00am Jan 2016!

For data collection, Dec 29th 11:59pm should be the last date for trophy syncs etc so it gives you and the team time to collate the information. This way you'll have the 30th (not an important date) to finalise and then chill on 31st to celebrate New Year's Eve with your loved ones and likewise for the 1st.

Then we've all seen family and friends and gotten plastered, we wait for the clock to strike 12:00am to commence on the 2nd.

Thoughts?

I'm happy for a cut-off on 11:59pm 30th December, I'm working on 31st December (albeit probably finishing a few hours earlier than normal because the owner's will close the office) so I should have time after work to set it up before heading out for the night. Just trying to limit as much down time as possible, it's not really fair to say to everyone that you play for 3 days just so I can set up the competition :).

Added, welcome to the contest MattyH16!

I'm happy for a cut-off on 11:59pm 30th December, I'm working on 31st December (albeit probably finishing a few hours earlier than normal because the owner's will close the office) so I should have time after work to set it up before heading out for the night. Just trying to limit as much down time as possible, it's not really fair to say to everyone that you play for 3 days just so I can set up the competition :).

Your call buddy, let me know if you need a hand etc.

Sure, why not. Could be interesting.

I'm not sure what makes me happier, a trophy hunting Tasmanian, or the fact that I'm competing with Judge Judy.

Wait what, another trophy hunting Tasmanian? Never seen one of those before.

Edited by Dark_Raven666

Your call buddy, let me know if you need a hand etc.

Thanks for the offer mate, will keep that in mind.

Lets be realistic, a day isn't gonna make much of a difference but im fine with whatever. Although is anyone doing the plat rain day because whoever is will probably win the plat numbers for January. 

Yeah probably, unless...someone decides to hang onto 11 platinums to one-up the plat rain day guys :P. You can do that can't you Gibbo?

I would be keen to join if not too late. It will give me a reason to go over and do 6 Backlogs :D

Added, welcome to the contest fisty123!

Sure, why not. Could be interesting.

Wait what, another trophy hunting Tasmanian? Never seen one of those before.

Added, welcome to the contest Dark_Raven666!

• 2 weeks later...

With 20 confirmed contestants at this stage, I think there's enough interest to run this competition. So without further ado, I'm officially declaring this competition will go ahead!  :) 

Keep an eye out for the official competition thread towards the end of the month, I'll also be sending everyone who's expressed interest a PM just to confirm their entry.

Also I was thinking about it and have one last addition to the competition, the purpose is to try and keep it on an even playing field for all involved. I'm going to add a tenth category for scoring points, similar to the way points are earned for average completion and rarity I will be adding an Australian Leaderboard Ranking category. Every 3 months each contestant's Australian leaderboard ranking will be compared with their Australian leaderboard ranking from the previous update and the highest increase (or lowest decrease if less than 3 contestants goes up) will be awarded 15 points, second highest increase/lowest decrease will be awarded 10 points and third highest increase/lowest decrease will be award 5 points. This means that we now have five categories in which points are allocated simply for the quantity of trophies earned and five categories that aren't purely linked to that aspect.

Finally, I encourage everyone to begin thinking about their 6 backlog games. An approved list will need to be submitted prior to the cut-off for the competition (11:59pm 30th December) or you will automatically lose the opportunity for points in this category for any games that haven't been approved (i.e. don't meet the criteria). I will put up a few reminders once the actual competition thread is live so no need to rush around and get your list ready just yet.

• Like 2

Finally, I encourage everyone to begin thinking about their 6 backlog games. An approved list will need to be submitted prior to the cut-off for the competition (11:59pm 30th December) or you will automatically lose the opportunity for points in this category for any games that haven't been approved (i.e. don't meet the criteria). I will put up a few reminders once the actual competition thread is live so no need to rush around and get your list ready just yet.

So if I understand this correctly, the highest possible amount of points for the Backlog challenge will be 120 points, and people who want to achieve this score should pick 6 games with ultra rare platinums?

Sounds like this could be fun.. I'm in!

A question about the backlog challenge though.. You mentioned it has to have been released before 2015.. how does this work in regard to Remasters?

I'd be keen to add Uncharted 2 to my challenge, but I'd be playing the PS4 version.. would this count?

Edited by Drew-013

So if I understand this correctly, the highest possible amount of points for the Backlog challenge will be 120 points, and people who want to achieve this score should pick 6 games with ultra rare platinums?

Yes that's correct, picking 6 games with ultra rare platinum trophies is the only way to score maximum points in this area (provided you earn the platinums of course, if you don't earn the platinum then you get 0 points for that game).

Sounds like this could be fun.. I'm in!

A question about the backlog challenge though.. You mentioned it has to have been released before 2015.. how does this work in regard to Remasters?

I'd be keen to add Uncharted 2 to my challenge, but I'd be playing the PS4 version.. would this count?

Added, welcome to the contest Drew-013! For the Backlog challenge, the release date of that particular version of the game that you plan on playing is the deciding factor. Thus under the rules Uncharted 2 on PS4 won't be eligible for this category.

• 1 month later...

I have just started the actual competition thread so for all those entering please have a look and post there instead. If you have previously expressed an interest in participating, I will send out PMs over the next few days to check if you're still interested.

I will be locking this thread.