Playstation 4 in development since August 2010

Lady Lilith

"Sony has said it's not prepared to reveal its PlayStation 4 console until the system can demonstrate 'a significant leap' in technology."

I think that's the most telling part of the article. Even if graphic engines exist that far surpass that of this generation (was reading something about the next Unreal engine in GameInformer), that doesn't mean that it's at a point where they can be run on mass-produced consoles effectively.

When they say "development", they don't mean all the specs are planned out and it's just a matter of putting all the pieces together. There's still many years of research (R&D) that goes into these consoles. All it means to have the development be "fully underway" is that Sony is serious about making a PS4 and are now investing time and resources into it... which we all probably could've guessed anyways. I'm surprised it took them until later 2010 to start.

Edited by Dreakon139

So in other words, it will have a 4 year development cycle if it comes out in 2014 ( like I am desperately hoping as I don't want it till then at least). Sony will blow Microsoft out of the water nex-gen. :)

• Like 1

It's true that to play the games we have in PS3, PS2 and PS1 (I dont know what PS4 can read) that we own a cd of that games we have to pay a license to that game in PS4? For example, I have Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception and a PS4, if I want to play U3 in the PS4, I have to pay a license for that? Some people told that is true, some say that is false, help me please.

So in other words, it will have a 4 year development cycle if it comes out in 2014 ( like I am desperately hoping as I don't want it till then at least). Sony will blow Microsoft out of the water nex-gen. :)

In all reality, the PS4 development started the day after the PS3 was released.

I really hope the PlayStation 4 has complete backwards compatibility with all PlayStation 1, 2 and 3 games. That would be a huge system seller for a lot of people and would keep the PlayStation 3 relevant for a while after the PS4 is released too.

Parker

• Like 1

He might have worked on it from August of 2010, but it'll have been underway long, long before that.

It seems very likely to me that they'll have this ready by late 2013. They certainly should, the PS3 can't really compete with PCs technically any more, and new technology could make a significant improvement over the current generation in terms of processing power for AI, etc.

I'm delightfully happy with my PS3 at the moment; game quality is peaking and it can play all my favourite movies, CDs and TV shows. It all comes down to how much shit does a man actually need one object to do?

It is not sapient. Until my video games console can love me, it does not do enough things.

I really hope the PlayStation 4 has complete backwards compatibility with all PlayStation 1, 2 and 3 games. That would be a huge system seller for a lot of people and would keep the PlayStation 3 relevant for a while after the PS4 is released too.

Parker

You're right! When I be needing a PS4 (I not 1 of those that are like "AHHHHHH!!!! A PS4! I HAVE TO BE THE 1ST TO BUY IT!!!!!" but then they don't use it because they don't like it) I will buy that, but only they have that backwards compatibility, I got sad to my PS3 (320GB) don't have a backward compatibility for the PS2, but the PS3 with PS1 is already good, Until they stop making games for PS3, then I will see if I would the PS4 or no. Just maybe because I got my PS3 in 2012 because the games I liked stoped to have in PS2 and I already have a X-BOX (old, not the 360) and I didn't like it.