How long do you plan on letting false times stand exactly?

Lets get back to the definition of cheating.

1- is impossible to beat his time? No.

2- did he influence or lead someone with this? No.

3- Did...? No.

Is it possible to repeat what he has done and possibly repeat that faster? Yes. This is the whole point of speedrunning. Of course the guy would get flagged on PS3, but he did it smart, so what can you do? Cry him a river about it.

Fastest achievers are meant to people who do pre-planning over trophies. Do you want to remove everyone else who also played a certain game on another account or system because they aren't legit as they have already previous knowledge?

I would disagree with this analysis. "to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice". Would not this be leading by deceit or trick? It is manipulation of the time stamp - granted it uses an inherent flaw within Sony's own system, but it is by definition, a trick. It is artificial.

This is not the same as reloading a backed up save to continue from a branch point, to get multiple endings. This is exploiting a save to make it look like you earned a trophy at a DIFFERENT TIME than what you actually did. That is not legit.

I'm not sure it is cheating, but if you are a speedrunner, this is certainly not a legit tactic either.

I you took a PS3 save that you had earned completely offline, uploaded that save to your computer and manipulated the time stamps, then restored it to an online (hacked) PS3, in order to get a platinum in 2-3 hours - is that legit? If you earned all the trophies yourself, should you not be allowed to do that, according to this logic?

This is not the same as reloading a backed up save to continue from a branch point, to get multiple endings. This is exploiting a save to make it look like you earned a trophy at a DIFFERENT TIME than what you actually did. That is not legit.

I'm not sure it is cheating, but if you are a speedrunner, this is certainly not a legit tactic either.

I'm not sure this is relevant. I understand what you're saying and I totally see your point but, if someone can do it without having to hack any code, then it's in that "grey area" where they are totally abusing the system by doing but they haven't actually hacked and gone "outside" the system. So I think we just have to live with it. 

Again, why are we calling this speed-running? From what I understand of this tactic to pop trophies in quick succession it seems like it involves a lot of prep-work to set up all the saves you'll need.

Speed-running is completing a playthrough of a game in the shortest possible time (with separate categories - glitches/no-glitches/100%/any%). Trophies just don't come into that.

I'm not sure this is relevant. I understand what you're saying and I totally see your point but, if someone can do it without having to hack any code, then it's in that "grey area" where they are totally abusing the system by doing but they haven't actually hacked and gone "outside" the system. So I think we just have to live with it. 

Again, why are we calling this speed-running? From what I understand of this tactic to pop trophies in quick succession it seems like it involves a lot of prep-work to set up all the saves you'll need.

Speed-running is completing a playthrough of a game in the shortest possible time (with separate categories - glitches/no-glitches/100%/any%). Trophies just don't come into that.

They're not going from first trophy to last, because if they were the time would be 50 hours +

They're deleting the first trophy but still keeping the progress.

If someone beat Usain Bolt in a 100m sprint because they got 90m in, had the race restart but still stayed 90m in and completed the race in 1.3 seconds and got a new world record. 

Would you call that a grey area?

Because that's literally what's going on here.

And the users are not grasping it.

The man did not do the 100m sprint legitmately, he cheated the fastest time.

B-b-but he still did the work! He still walked the 90 meters man so it's legit!

k :D

It's actually so funny watching people justify this.

Edited by imagineSM

I would disagree with this analysis. "to influence or lead by deceit, trick, or artifice". Would not this be leading by deceit or trick? It is manipulation of the time stamp - granted it uses an inherent flaw within Sony's own system, but it is by definition, a trick. It is artificial.

I you took a PS3 save that you had earned completely offline, uploaded that save to your computer and manipulated the time stamps, then restored it to an online (hacked) PS3, in order to get a platinum in 2-3 hours - is that legit? If you earned all the trophies yourself, should you not be allowed to do that, according to this logic?

Actually, the time stamps are all legit, he did achieve the trophy at the times he did. Glitching a game like I did with FUSE to buy all the things I should with the credit I have on my backup, that would be closer to cheating because I didn't have such money.

You are wrong on speedrunning as well, check this any% explanation to see how glitching is, more often that you think, used in speedrunning. Also check Save Warp, it's similar to this.

The example you mentioned about multiple endings is the same exact thing, you are supposed to play the whole game again for another ending, yet you choose to only load your last save to do that. Didn't you cut one or many playthrought times from the platinum? If the example here on the OP is cheating, what you mentioned also is.

The last thing you mention isn't legit because there was a save alteration, which this topic is not talking about. That isn't legit either since, from what I understood, you are mentioning like I'm manipulating the save toward achieving something I didn't. The guy here did achieve level 99 legit, then exploited it. Time stamps are saved on the console though, not on the save file (unless you are talking about a certain 'beat the game in x minutes' timestamp).

He's deleting his first trophy, I.E resetting the timer 90% in.

That's cheating the fastest time, if you're too slow to get that, that's your problem. Not mine.

That is your definition of cheating, not this website's. If you wanna stay here, you gotta follow the guidelines of this site instead of trying to shove your salty opinion down other people's throats.

I only think the following: if this is cheating, the 2h platinum of hatsune miku diva also are, since they by far do not represent the time spent in game.

Actually, the time stamps are all legit, he did achieve the trophy at the times he did. Glitching a game like I did with FUSE to buy all the things I should with the credit I have on my backup, that would be closer to cheating because I didn't have such money.

You are wrong on speedrunning as well, check this any% explanation to see how glitching is, more often that you think, used in speedrunning. Also check Save Warp, it's similar to this.

The example you mentioned about multiple endings is the same exact thing, you are supposed to play the whole game again for another ending, yet you choose to only load your last save to do that. Didn't you cut one or many playthrought times from the platinum? If the example here on the OP is cheating, what you mentioned also is.

The last thing you mention isn't legit because there was a save alteration, which this topic is not talking about. That isn't legit either since, from what I understood, you are mentioning like I'm manipulating the save toward achieving something I didn't. The guy here did achieve level 99 legit, then exploited it. Time stamps are saved on the console though, not on the save file (unless you are talking about a certain 'beat the game in x minutes' timestamp).

That is your definition of cheating, not this website's. If you wanna stay here, you gotta follow the guidelines of this site instead of trying to shove your salty opinion down other people's throats.

I only think the following: if this is cheating, the 2h platinum of hatsune miku diva also are, since they by far do not represent the time spent in game.

No they're not legit. I've already told you how they're not legit.

And I'm not shoving my opinion down anyones throat,

It's a forum, do you really need me to explain to you what the point of a forum is?

The saltiness is strong with this one.

You're right, so many people are shitting the bed because I don't agree.

It's great.

[snip]

I understand you mate. 

I don't consider your example to be analogous to this situation though. It would be analogous if the Olympic Committee had designed 100m races in such a way so as to allow for the possibility of a racer starting at 90m in if they jumped through a few hoops beforehand. 

My point is: your complaint is with Sony, the guys who set up the trophy system's rules and processes. As long as people can do this exploit without having to hack anything, it's Sony's fault for allowing the exploit to exist. 

Edit: ... and I wouldn't fault them for doing so. If having a really fast 1st-last trophy time is important enough to someone that they're willing to go through all this trouble, then more power to them for figuring this out. 

Edited by StrickenBiged

No they're not legit. I've already told you how they're not legit.

And I'm not shoving my opinion down anyones throat,

It's a forum, do you really need me to explain to you what the point of a forum is?

You're right, so many people are shitting the bed because I don't agree.

It's great.

I was talking about you.

I understand you mate. 

I don't consider your example to be analogous to this situation though. It would be analogous if the Olympic Committee had designed 100m races in such a way so as to allow for the possibility of a racer starting at 90m in if they jumped through a few hoops beforehand. 

My point is: your complaint is with Sony, the guys who set up the trophy system's rules and processes. As long as people can do this exploit without having to hack anything, it's Sony's fault for allowing the exploit to exist. 

I think it is and don't worry.

I've accepted nothing will change. ;)

I'm not even fighting for that, I am however surprised at how many people consider this legit.

Like not even dirty legit, or cheap but pure legit.

It's crazy.

I was talking about you.

I know.

But I think it can be applied elsewhere, I mean people have tried to insult me; simply because I don't agree.

I'd say they're saltier than me.

I think it is and don't worry.

I've accepted nothing will change. ;)

I'm not even fighting for that, I am however surprised at how many people consider this legit.

Like not even dirty legit, or cheap but pure legit.

It's crazy.

I know.

But I think it can be applied elsewhere, I mean people have tried to insult me; simply because I don't agree.

I'd say they're saltier than me.

I don't agree with them insulting you, but in fairness, you are trying to shove your personal definition of cheating down their throats. Some things you just need to let go.

• Like 2

You have gone from saying that he cheated, to saying that he didn't cheat and then again back to he has cheated all in one thread.

You quoted me.

I've said he's a cheater in my opinion.

But he's not classed as a cheater by PSNP or Sony.

So he's not a cheater in their eyes, which is fine. But I disagree,

@Mods How long do you plan on letting this thread stay open exactly?

Why are people so quick to want to lock down dissenting opinions?

I don't see a problem with open discussion.

I don't agree with them insulting you, but in fairness, you are trying to shove your personal definition of cheating down their throats. Some things you just need to let go.

Shoving down their throats? What are you talking about.

Am I knocking on their door and asking if I can talk to them about cheaters? No.

I'm expressing my opinion in a public forum... which,,, you guessed it, is for people expressing opinions.

You quoted me.

Why are people so quick to want to lock down dissenting opinions?

I don't see a problem with open discussion.

Therein lies the problem. This thread has literally no reason to exist since you think it's fine that they don't classify him as a cheater.

Therein lies the problem. This thread has literally no reason to exist since you think it's fine that they don't classify him as a cheater.

The title was a question.

Sly answered it and I was done... and then all of the salty, insulting people showed up and now I'm defending myself.

You quoted me.

And that is all that needs to be said. Sly has given his opinion, other users have given their own opinions and you have your opinion and nothing is wrong with any of them.

That being said, I think this topic is done. Nothing more can be said than what has already been said and some users are skating very close to some warnings. 

Parker

• Like 4